Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 Got Wrecked Today :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The site of the crash is a few meters outside the I-90 "Mercer Island Lid", eastbound.

My guess is that the racers were already racing on the bridge, which is long and straight and brightly lit, and continued into the tunnel, which is an S-curve with exits on both the left and the right sides at 77th Ave. It's a horrible place to be going at high speed, because of the slowing cars for the exits, the limited view from the curve, and the switch from dark to daylight.

WSDOT has cameras that would have seen the crash, but they aren't good enough to catch license plates. Hopefully other witnesses are available.

>> getting all the facts from the police (there may be a criminal case against the person who hit me) <<

First and most obvious... I'm glad that you and your family are here to tell the story. Thanks for sharing it with us. It makes me feel better about spending a bunch of money on a car that may one day save my life, or the lives of the people closest to me.

And now I have a request to help you directly, and everybody else indirectly... and that's to ask that we all stop calling this horrible collision an "accident." If there is a criminal case and if the post earlier about street racing is true... then calling this an "accident" serves no purpose other than to let the guilty party off the hook for negligence. Hey, sorry. I didn't mean to.

These things are all crashes, collisions or wrecks. We should avoid calling everything that goes bump on the road an "accident" because the connotation of the word is "we don't really know why it happened... it just happened."

Would you stand up at a trial and say, "That's him. That's the speeding, erratic, deadly driver who accidentally hit me."

Cheers,

And now I have a request to help you directly, and everybody else indirectly... and that's to ask that we all stop calling this horrible collision an "accident."
Of course the collision could have been an accident, say a driver that lost control of the car.

So best to not jump to conclusions in either direction. I'm glad the people are OK. The facts will be known in due time. The street racing post was complete conjecture.

Of course the collision could have been an accident, say a driver that lost control of the car.

So best to not jump to conclusions in either direction. I'm glad the people are OK. The facts will be known in due time.
Indeed. Except for the "either direction" bit.

Accident is always subjective, and should be avoided until them pesky facts are known. Crash and collision are objective. There's no "jumping to conclusion" when objective words are used. And there is no reason to avoid using objective words. Nobody really gives a damn if this was accidental. Clearly it was a collision.

This guy saw what happened, if you don’t have Facebook I can message him for you

Attachments

• ADC28444-5EC6-4C61-862B-2BCDE66FBAC2.png
    ADC28444-5EC6-4C61-862B-2BCDE66FBAC2.png
    545 KB · Views: 233
I've heard of one other case where a Model 3 was destroyed and Tesla did the right thing by delivering a replacement in a timely fashion, rather than saying, "go to the end of the line." Glad everyone is ok! As for the tax credit(s), one requirement of the credit is that you plan to continue using the vehicle, and one cannot say that about the first vehicle. The 2nd should be good for the federal credit, though. I don't know how the Washington state incentive works.

>>> As for the tax credit(s), one requirement of the credit is that you plan to continue using the vehicle, and one cannot say that about the first vehicle.

The important statement from IRC 30D as modified by notice 2009-89 is:
"The vehicle is acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer"
There is no requirement that the taxpayer still own the vehicle at the end of the year; just that they INTENDED to use the vehicle for themselves.

I went to the yard to pick up some belongings from the vehicle today and was able to take in and observe the damage more calmly. Some interesting things to note:

1.) My phone seems to still be able to unlock the car, and the electronic doors are still working (counter example to phone unlocks fails, I've never had it fail on me ever, even now using an iPhone 6s).
2.) The screen & electronics seem to function still, other than a bunch of errors everywhere saying the car needs service and may not be operable
3.) There were airbags in the footwell as well, didn't realize those were there.

Last edited:
>> getting all the facts from the police (there may be a criminal case against the person who hit me) <<

First and most obvious... I'm glad that you and your family are here to tell the story. Thanks for sharing it with us. It makes me feel better about spending a bunch of money on a car that may one day save my life, or the lives of the people closest to me.

And now I have a request to help you directly, and everybody else indirectly... and that's to ask that we all stop calling this horrible collision an "accident." If there is a criminal case and if the post earlier about street racing is true... then calling this an "accident" serves no purpose other than to let the guilty party off the hook for negligence. Hey, sorry. I didn't mean to.

These things are all crashes, collisions or wrecks. We should avoid calling everything that goes bump on the road an "accident" because the connotation of the word is "we don't really know why it happened... it just happened."

Would you stand up at a trial and say, "That's him. That's the speeding, erratic, deadly driver who accidentally hit me."

Cheers,

the commonly accepted usage of the work "accident" has two flavors: indicating not on purpose and an auto collision. Both are appropriate here. I really don't see the big deal. Even legally, negligent auto collisions are described as accidents. 169.09 - 2017 Minnesota Statutes

ac·ci·dent
ˈaksədənt/
noun
noun: accident; plural noun: accident
  1. an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
    "he had an accident at the factory"
    synonyms: mishap, misadventure, unfortunate incident, mischance, misfortune, disaster, tragedy, catastrophe, calamity;
    technicalcasualty
    "an accident at work"
  2. a crash involving road or other vehicles, typically one that causes serious damage or injury.
    "four people were killed in a car accident"
    synonyms: crash, collision, smash, bump, car crash;
    wreck;
    informalsmash-up, pileup, fender bender
    "she was injured in a highway accident"

If you were to complain that people should say Teslas are "quick", but not "fast", you would actually have a stronger argument, but equally pointless.

@mhan00 Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I'm trying to remember if any of bounces against the freeway walls was the rear of my car (I don't think so, pretty sure we hit each wall facing forward), Everything happened so fast tho, going to ask Tesla to see if they can get any footage from the car cameras tomorrow.
Can Tesla get past footages?
We have been asking for dash cam feature on Tesla for a while. Hope we can get this soon