Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 Got Wrecked Today :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car that hit me was disabled as part of the accident and he pulled over and was arrested at the scene. The BMW he was racing has not been found. I'm guessing it's probably not worth the trouble for the police. It's unclear if he would be considered as participant of the accident anyways, since he didn't actually crash into anyone, so he would only be charged with street racing/reckless driving at worst.

The car that hit me was disabled as part of the accident and he pulled over and was arrested at the scene. The BMW he was racing has not been found. I'm guessing it's probably not worth the trouble for the police. It's unclear if he would be considered as participant of the accident anyways, since he didn't actually crash into anyone, so he would only be charged with street racing/reckless driving at worst.

Around here (south carolina) many of this type don't have insurance. Did your street racer have insurance? I have showed your car's crash pic so many times as a testament to how well these cars crash. Really glad no one was hurt.

Hi @tutugirl,

do you seriously mean that this damage:

d4a3dfac-001b-4792-b315-ea12da0a8bf6-jpeg.310870

was considered by your insurance company enough to total your Model 3??

Quite astonishing, as the damage looks fairly similar to what our Model X suffered shortly before Whitsun, and which was satisfactorily repaired (by a Tesla-approved body shop) for 5,900 EUR/6,900 USD:

E4payv.jpg

ymsRpZ.jpg

Good luck on finding a new Model 3 soon!!

Kind regards,

Krouebi

@krouebi ,

Just saw this and yes, they decided that was enough to total it. Still waiting for the new car...

I am curious - it looks like your M3 is still drivable. Did you have to give it up and take a check from the insurance company? Where did they sell it? I mean, if you could buy it for a big discount, fix it, then re-sell it you could make a ton of money. Or maybe just have an extra M3 - that never hurts.

Was cruising along the i-90 tunnel in Seattle, WA on mercer island with my wife and 2 kids, when I hear some vehicles approach at high speed from behind. Then suddenly I hear a screeching sound from a car breaking hard, and then a car slams into my rear end - hard. I was going 65, so that vehicle must have been going significantly faster. From there I lose control of the car, and the car spins out of control, hitting the freeway divider wall all the way on the other side of the freeway 4 lanes across, and then bouncing back all the way back to the other side of the freeway and hitting that wall before coming to a stop.

Thankfully the model 3 performed miraculously, crumple zones compressed, airbags deployed, no fire after the accident, and no one in my family seems to be seriously injured.

Still processing what just happened and getting all the facts from the police (there may be a criminal case against the person who hit me), but any tips and things to watch out for as I go through the insurance process?

Take good notes of time, date, etc. of the incident and most especially all contact with your insurance carrier.

Was cruising along the i-90 tunnel in Seattle, WA on mercer island with my wife and 2 kids, when I hear some vehicles approach at high speed from behind. Then suddenly I hear a screeching sound from a car breaking hard, and then a car slams into my rear end - hard. I was going 65, so that vehicle must have been going significantly faster. From there I lose control of the car, and the car spins out of control, hitting the freeway divider wall all the way on the other side of the freeway 4 lanes across, and then bouncing back all the way back to the other side of the freeway and hitting that wall before coming to a stop.

Thankfully the model 3 performed miraculously, crumple zones compressed, airbags deployed, no fire after the accident, and no one in my family seems to be seriously injured.

Still processing what just happened and getting all the facts from the police (there may be a criminal case against the person who hit me), but any tips and things to watch out for as I go through the insurance process?

Thank God you and family are ok, and it seems the Tesla protected you in a bad situation. Considering all the other scenarios that could’ve happened, thank God you’re all safe .

Wow, lucky to walk away from that.
If the scumbag that hit you cares about insurance as much as he cares about others on the road, wouldn't be surprised at all if they had no insurance either. Hopefully OP has uninsured/underinsured coverage. And hopefully there are some eyewitnesses that can tell police the scumbag was driving at a reckless speed so they can throw the book at them.

Never quite understood this. Aside from covering the deductible, what would uninsured/underinsured coverage do in this case?