Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 had a stroke it seems like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't really disagree but here, all you have to do is suggest that some aspect of Tesla (or the car) is deficient. You don't have to do it in anger. And you'll likely get attacked. I have been a member of a LOT of car forums and no others are like this one. I'm STILL a member of the Chevy Bolt forum even after trading mine for a Model 3 in March 2021. Why? Because I can share my opinion with the people on that forum without getting fried in the pan if my opinion is different than someone else's.

Mike
I was once banned from the Lexus forum for strongly expressing my disappointment with Lexus.

YMMV.

Actually, at the risk of making people mad, it sounds like someone didn’t return the loaner when they asked, so there is probably a lot more to the whole story and we are seeing one side. Not uncommon.
Well you couldn’t be more wrong, so congratulations. It was dropped off three hours before required. And actually @XPsionic nailed it, I believe. That was the only logical explanation I could come up with as well. And he made it seem like he was giving me the world by allowing me to have a loaner.

Well you couldn’t be more wrong, so congratulations. It was dropped off three hours before required. And actually @XPsionic nailed it, I believe. That was the only logical explanation I could come up with as well. And he made it seem like he was giving me the world by allowing me to have a loaner.
Well, it looked like his fuse was shorter than yours 😆 He may not last too long there if they get too many complaints. The SC down here has a good rep. Friendly people.

Sounds like the story is the loaner is being used by the SA as a personal ride and he's mad it's being used as a loaner?
Yep, very possible.

Last edited:
Well, it looked like his fuse was shorter than yours 😆 He may not last too long there if they get too many complaints. The SC down here has a good rep. Friendly people.

Yep, very possible.

@phishphan posted the sequence of events themselves in the thread they referenced earlier (including their possession of the loaner vehicle, etc).

They already linked it themselves, but that thread is here:

Reactions: phishphan
I‘d ask you to read the thread I linked. Much like OP of this thread, I was thankful this never happened while my wife was driving our kids through a canyon or on an interstate, especially during the summer or winter. It is quite scary when your car tells you to pull over asap and shuts down almost everything while you do. And I get that you live in Florida and probably have no idea what it would be like driving through a canyon but there usually isn’t a place to pull over safely.

And then for two different SC tell me it was no big deal after it happened twice? And then to find out the SOP for Tesla is to ignore it the first time but replace a part if it happens again? That seems so shady.

Lastly, the fact that the SA had the exact time and date of the second malfunction but didn’t relay that to the tech is amateur at best.

@phishphan posted the sequence of events themselves in the thread they referenced earlier (including their possession of the loaner vehicle, etc).

They already linked it themselves, but that thread is here:

Thank you for backing me up, mod. Much appreciated.

They gave you quite the run around, if I remember. It sounded very frustrating.
They did and it was. I honestly have no beef except for the roid rage guy. The manager and second SA I had were great just like the others before.

My bottom line was I can’t have a car that I can’t trust won’t shut down randomly for my wife. And for them to say it was no big deal, we couldn’t replicate it? And then to be attacked bc he can’t use the car for his lunch break or whatever?

Totally surreal experience.

this statement makes it sound like you have never in your life had something like this happen to you in any other car

There was a comment on your statement that you now cant take this car on a road trip.

Not a great look for a mod, IMO. This person has suffered a failure that many of us are having right now, and Tesla is pretty quiet about it. The only other vehicle I've had with spontaneous failures from an otherwise working and well maintained vehicle was a used Land Rover. OP simply noted that because there was no warning, and nothing leading up to this kind of complete failure of the vehicle that leaves it undriveable, they don't feel like they can be far away with it and risk the same fate. I am 1000% in agreement with them, and I've road tripped my Model 3. Never had to think about what happens if it stops working until recently. Well, except for what happens if the HVAC fails in the dead of winter. That I do have to be worried about.

The fact that mods around here demand photos of things, and make snap defensive comments like this is offputting to say the least. This person's got a car that likely cost them well over $50k and it just stopped working in an instant. That's not normal, that's not something that fans of the Tesla brand should try to normalize, and the number of these exact types of failures that are showing up this year should be a canary in a coal mine for Tesla. It's just too bad enthusiasts stopped pushing for the brand to be better and have just accepted this kind of issue as the cost of owning a Tesla.

It eventually turned the headlights off and unlocked again. We initiated roadside assistance who troubleshooted and eventually sent a tow truck. The tow truck couldn't tow it because by now somehow the parking brake engaged, but they didn't bring a dolly, so that will happen tomorrow morning.

This sounds like perhaps the inverter on your front motor died, which causes the high voltage pack to disconnect. The 12v battery can't run the car for very long, so eventually it all just dies. Even worse, if you use a jumper pack that tow trucks often carry, that battery is barely enough to boot the car up, put it in tow mode, and have it turn off again. Mine had to be put on plastic skids and dragged out of my garage backwards up onto the flat bed. Tesla's advice regarding how I might put my window back up now that the car didn't have power was "is there another charged jumper pack you can use?". That was after 50 minutes on hold waiting for someone to even answer, then 10 minutes of trying to access my powered off car to try to diagnose it.

My car has been in the service center since July 18. They were supposed to receive parts the last week of July, but said maybe a day or two later. We're now starting the second week of July and I haven't even heard if the parts have arrived. In the mean time, I'm in a loaner Model 3 that's from 2019 and it has such a loud, creaky suspension that I can't believe they'd give it to a customer like this.

Good luck to you. I hope it's something extremely simple and you're back to happily owning your car in no time without worry of anything like this happening again.

Actually, at the risk of making people mad, it sounds like someone didn’t return the loaner when they asked, so there is probably a lot more to the whole story and we are seeing one side. Not uncommon.

The standard loaner agreement has said the fee is $100 per day for keeping the loaner after your car is done. What has happened many times before is that Tesla keeps your car for a month or two, your life continues on, and they call you at the least convenient time to tell you your car is ready to be picked up. If you can't drop everything and go get your car that day, they start charging you $100. If they had service centers in ever state in the US, that might be slightly more reasonable. But lots of us have to drive an hour, two hours, four hours to a service center on a moment's notice. If they call you at noon, they're four hours away without traffic, and close at 5pm, the odds of getting there are zero. If you've done something foolish like go on vacation, you're totally up the creek.

The agreement also very clearly states you're allotted a maximum of 250 total miles per day. The one way trip if you live in Maine and have to go to Massachusetts is nearly that far. So it's not really as generous a loaner policy as I've had with other dealerships. And since Tesla is so overbooked with service, and parts are so hard to come by, it's basically a roll of the dice to figure out how long you'll be without a car.

Last edited:
I‘d ask you to read the thread I linked. Much like OP of this thread, I was thankful this never happened while my wife was driving our kids through a canyon or on an interstate, especially during the summer or winter. It is quite scary when your car tells you to pull over asap and shuts down almost everything while you do. And I get that you live in Florida and probably have no idea what it would be like driving through a canyon but there usually isn’t a place to pull over safely.

And then for two different SC tell me it was no big deal after it happened twice? And then to find out the SOP for Tesla is to ignore it the first time but replace a part if it happens again? That seems so shady.

Lastly, the fact that the SA had the exact time and date of the second malfunction but didn’t relay that to the tech is amateur at best.
Yeah, that treatment was unacceptable. Glad you stood your ground because I would not have taken it back before they fixed it either. As for the SA not passing on the info on the tech, that to me is grounds for termination.

Reactions: phishphan
Not a great look for a mod, IMO.
FYI look at his disclaimer, he's not speaking as a mod unless expressly noted as a mod comment. Mods have the right to make personal comments too. His comment made it clear he experienced similar things in other non-Tesla cars, so that is certainly valid to bring up, especially when a lot of people default to implying or saying a certain issue is unique to Tesla (I've seen this a lot on these forums, even when a quick google can prove it false).

I've enjoyed my time in this forum so far, but comments like yours are just not necessary. Instead of attacking me you could have shown a tiny bit of empathy regarding the situation.

I definitely didn't read any "attack" in his response. Certainly different people can perceive a written text differently. Having read many posts from @jjrandorin, I would be very surprised to read one that was attacking or even just a tiny bit disrespectful in any way.

It sucks that this happened to you, my M3 has been rock solid transportation (crossing fingers). I'm hopeful this will get sorted out.

Reactions: XPsionic
They aren't taking action as a mod. They are a mod and they are speaking, therefore they are speaking as a mod. Their disclaimer is a meaningless distinction.

I am not surprised to see someone say this, although I disagree fairly strongly. For some, there is no such thing as a moderator having "regular" interaction, or having an opinion on anything.

Last edited:
Free speech should be available to everyone. Sure if the owners of the forum don’t like it, they can remove him from the role but the two should not be confused by anyone

Posting on a forum like this certainly isnt subject to "free speech" but I understand what you are saying. I personally still choose to participate in the forums "normally" where many other mods do not. I dont feel like things I say are generally controversial (but I wouldnt, because I am the one saying them, pretty normal for someone to think what they are saying is ok, even if others dont).

Im certainly not a "tesla stan" though. I dont own tesla stock, have any input to things at tesla etc. I am just a regular person.

I do understand why most of the other mods tend not to participate in threads like I do though. Its the whole perceived "position of power" thing, where the assumption by some is that there isnt any way a person could separate the two, or be fair.

Any long time or active members of this subforum would already likely know what my posting style is like, how I tend to participate, etc, and others are free to look through my posting history and see for themselves (like anyone can do for just about any other member). I definitely separate the two things in my head.

I do realize that for some it wont matter though, I just happen to disagree with that.

Posting on a forum like this certainly isnt subject to "free speech" but I understand what you are saying. I personally still choose to participate in the forums "normally" where many other mods do not. I dont feel like things I say are generally controversial (but I wouldnt, because I am the one saying them, pretty normal for someone to think what they are saying is ok, even if others dont).

Im certainly not a "tesla stan" though. I dont own tesla stock, have any input to things at tesla etc. I am just a regular person.

I do understand why most of the other mods tend not to participate in threads like I do though. Its the whole perceived "position of power" thing, where the assumption by some is that there isnt any way a person could separate the two, or be fair.

Any long time or active members of this subforum would already likely know what my posting style is like, how I tend to participate, etc, and others are free to look through my posting history and see for themselves (like anyone can do for just about any other member). I definitely separate the two things in my head.

I do realize that for some it wont matter though, I just happen to disagree with that.
:)

Free speech as in what any other regular forum member can post should be available to the moderator too. We can’t and should not put them on a pedestal and ban them from equal participation in the discussion.

So you hear and read all these horror stories of cars breaking down out of the blue and shrug them off. Today, this happened to us.
I was driving back into our neighborhood as usual and during the slow left turn, all warning lights came on, warnings about Autosteer not available and others came up in quick succession. It reduced its speed significantly and warned me it would shut down shortly.

We made it right into our driveway before that happened and basically the entire left side of the display (where the gear selector is) is showing blank. I was not able to put the car into park and it was about to roll off the driveway when I lifted the foot off the brake. We secured it with a 2x2, but headlights remained on, passenger side door, windows and tail lights were completely dead. After closing the door it locked itself.

It eventually turned the headlights off and unlocked again. We initiated roadside assistance who troubleshooted and eventually sent a tow truck. The tow truck couldn't tow it because by now somehow the parking brake engaged, but they didn't bring a dolly, so that will happen tomorrow morning.

It looks like the steering wheel controls, the card readers, the right side controls are all dead. I was able to turn the entertainment system off and restart it through the on-screen menu, but that didn't help much. The problem is probably rooted much deeper. The car doesn't even have 3k miles on it and got delivered May this year!

Anyway, just wanted to share and will keep posting updates, but the confidence of taking this car on a trip is gone, at least for the time being.
Sorry about the blurry picture, it got dark now.
Sorry to hear of the trouble, and I'm sympathetic, since I took delivery of our M3LR not long after you. Setting aside the discussion about post tone, etc, please keep us posted on the fix.

Thanks,

Todd

My personal observation is that many of jj’s posts, including the one that sparked this offshoot discussion, have a condescending and dismissive tone. Like someone expressing frustration/disappointment about a vehicle failure or defect, and jj saying “This isn’t just Tesla; this could happen to any vehicle. If you’re not happy then sell the car.” And also being a moderator, people may expect a more welcoming/empathic tone.

OP: very sorry to hear about your situation and look forward to hearing (hopefully positive) updates. I’m confident your SC will figure it out and that your faith in your car will be restored over time.

Reactions: Adam3 and DrDabbles