Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 had a stroke it seems like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that this is annoying, however, this statement makes it sound like you have never in your life had something like this happen to you in any other car. As someone who was only able to afford "new, fancy cars" later in life, I have had this happen previously in other cars a few times.

I have also had it happen a couple times in a brand new BMW X5 that we leased.

Stuff happens. If you feel "I cant drive this car on a trip" then its time for you to get rid of the car and get one you feel like you can do that with (however it is entirely possible that it also could break down on said trip).
On point!

One of the questions I routinely ask in interviews is exactly this. Walk me through a scenario where things did not go as planned and how did you deal with it.

• Disagree
Reactions: mewantcookiez
Car still at the service center, now they’re not sure if it’ll be ready today. They made it sound they just wanted to swap the 12V battery but now they’re waiting on parts. Could be Monday they’re saying.
Brings up the loaner question again. Not even Uber credits received so far. Not everyone has a second car and can manage bringing kids to school and so on. That really is leaving a sour taste so far.

I haven’t had such a failure with other new cars, but every time they had even be serviced I got a loaner car for just the day.
The one time I took my car in for a small service, the uber credits were in my account ahead of time. Just sharing my experience so someone reading this thread does not walk away with the idea the Tesla is a slouch.

Car still at the service center, now they’re not sure if it’ll be ready today. They made it sound they just wanted to swap the 12V battery but now they’re waiting on parts. Could be Monday they’re saying.
Brings up the loaner question again. Not even Uber credits received so far. Not everyone has a second car and can manage bringing kids to school and so on. That really is leaving a sour taste so far.

I haven’t had such a failure with other new cars, but every time they had even be serviced I got a loaner car for just the day.
If you want the Uber credits, you should ping your SC. I received mine fairly quickly after leaving the SC. If you don't tell them they may assume you don't need them. For loaner cars, it's the luck of the draw. If the SC is swamped, it's unlikely they have one available.

I can’t really complain about the SLC SC. They have been great in general. Sure, communication could be a bit better, but last time they worked on my car until 11pm and got it fixed the next day.
This round is a bit disappointing because I would qualify for a loaner under their terms but because they keep promising a fix the next day it never shows as long enough. But that’s more a corporate policy than the SC’s fault.
I called them a few times and they’ve always been friendly and helpful.

Got my Uber credits in the meantime. With a child that needs a car seat they are petty useless to be honest. Wish I could at least order a meal. But luckily we have a second car and will only need a second car mid next week. That’s going to be interesting though. But let’s see, maybe they’re able to fix it by Monday.

I had a Mecerdes "S" that drained the battery "Brand New" as was in the shop
months. Some sensor shored they say. Had to fly an expert in from Germany.
Lets just say I was flaming mad. I do feel sorry for all the folks that have that
stuff happen. Oh forgot the sun roof leaked and screwed up the electronics and
it rusted out completely in 8 years and the air shocks failed in a dangeros maner.
I drive a Tesla now.
Sold the "S" for $50.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: enemji
I should not have laughed at your post, but I did. So, why were you nearly attacked?
Here is my story from another thread where my brand new M3LR stroked out. Mind you, this was the second time the issue happened. (Link to thread: New 2022 Model 3 has "VCFRONT a192" issue )

Boy do I have a story for you guys. Sorry for the tl;dr but here it goes. (Summary is car is getting fixed, part ordered and SA nearly tried to fight me.)

After going around and around in the app about not returning the loaner until the car was fixed I finally picked up the phone and called him. He went off on me about getting the police involved to get the car back and how I’d be charged $100 per day if it’s not there by 5. I will admit to getting testy as a result of his attitude and said well, I’ll stop paying for the car and charge you guys $500 everyday I can’t drive it.

I decide to drive down there to speak to the manager who was very reasonable and understanding as was I. He said if they can’t replicate the problem they can’t fix it, even if I had a picture of the error codes and encouraged me to take a drive with the tech to replicate the problem. I agree to this and the tech and I get into the car.

We chatted for a bit before heading out and a light bulb went off when he said he went back in the logs two weeks and didn’t see the error code. He further explained that the instructions for this error code was to ignore it the first time and to replace the POS (not remembering this 100% correctly but power something systems?) if it arises again. FANTASTIC!

I suggest we skip the test drive and he go look at the log at the exact time and date I took the picture and bingo, well it’s the second time so that part needs to be replaced. He agreed and 30 minutes later tells my new SA he found the second instance of this error code! Again, fantastic!

Now for the bad news and crazy part of the story, of course the part isn’t in stock so guess what, I have to get another loaner. All goes well until we actually go to the parking lot to find it. Turns out the asshole SA was driving it for some reason? My new SA explains to him that they found the problem and they’re giving me the loaner back. He AGGRESSIVELY walks, semi jogs towards me screaming at me “DO YOU AGREE TO RETURN THE CAR WHEN WE SAY SO?” I didn’t respond, he’s still walking/jogging towards me aggressively screaming the same question two more times. I said, excuse me? He yelled it a fourth time and I just said I’ll speak to the manager again. He RUNS to the new SA with the slicing his throat movement YELLING “NO LOANER FOR HIM, NO LOANER FOR HIM”. The new SA explained to him the situation and that it was already approved etc. He was livid for some reason. I got in the loaner and drove home.

So yes, the car is getting fixed but now I’m worried this nut job is going to either vandalize or sabotage our car. Really worried about it. It was like he was having roid rage or something.

Oh and it was kind of funny bc now they wouldn’t even let me leave in our car bc of the danger of it shutting down again.

I can’t really complain about the SLC SC. They have been great in general. Sure, communication could be a bit better, but last time they worked on my car until 11pm and got it fixed the next day.
This round is a bit disappointing because I would qualify for a loaner under their terms but because they keep promising a fix the next day it never shows as long enough. But that’s more a corporate policy than the SC’s fault.
I called them a few times and they’ve always been friendly and helpful.

Got my Uber credits in the meantime. With a child that needs a car seat they are petty useless to be honest. Wish I could at least order a meal. But luckily we have a second car and will only need a second car mid next week. That’s going to be interesting though. But let’s see, maybe they’re able to fix it by Monday.
They are just completely overwhelmed and tied by Tesla policy and procedure. But see above regarding my experience.

I would think some of the SUVs wouldn’t mind accommodating the child seat - unless you mean keeping up with it where you end up going.
Dropping off my daughter at school for example. I’d have to make sure the seat is installed properly (add 10 min). Then I need to see if the same driver can drive me back home or do I need to call another Uber? If so, add 10 min for install plus wait time.

Going grocery shopping with the child? We’ll what do I do with the car seat? Put it in the shopping cart?

Before I had kids things were a lot easier and I’m not here to complain, just to highlight that throwing $$$ on Uber my way isn’t necessarily the solution to everything.

On point!

One of the questions I routinely ask in interviews is exactly this. Walk me through a scenario where things did not go as planned and how did you deal with it.
Oh I have no issues with this in general. Almost every day requires to adjust and run with anything that comes my way.
But that said, it’s also fine to hold others to some kind of responsibility for their products that we pay for.
I didn’t ask for a red carpet and free champagne when the car broke down, but it’s not unreasonable to ask for a loaner in the meantime while a brand new product fails for no valid reason other than some manufacturing defect.
The issue here is that if that would have been an accident, my insurance would cover the loaner. But since this was well within warranty, I would expect some better treatment than just a shrug.
Am I working around this? Of course. Am I angry? Nope. Am I disappointed? Yes.

Turns out the asshole SA was driving it for some reason? My new SA explains to him that they found the problem and they’re giving me the loaner back. He AGGRESSIVELY walks, semi jogs towards me screaming at me “DO YOU AGREE TO RETURN THE CAR WHEN WE SAY SO?” I didn’t respond, he’s still walking/jogging towards me aggressively screaming the same question two more times. I said, excuse me? He yelled it a fourth time and I just said I’ll speak to the manager again. He RUNS to the new SA with the slicing his throat movement YELLING “NO LOANER FOR HIM, NO LOANER FOR HIM”. The new SA explained to him the situation and that it was already approved etc. He was livid for some reason. I got in the loaner and drove home.
Sounds like the story is the loaner is being used by the SA as a personal ride and he's mad it's being used as a loaner?

Reactions: phishphan
Dropping off my daughter at school for example. I’d have to make sure the seat is installed properly (add 10 min). Then I need to see if the same driver can drive me back home or do I need to call another Uber? If so, add 10 min for install plus wait time.

Going grocery shopping with the child? We’ll what do I do with the car seat? Put it in the shopping cart?

Before I had kids things were a lot easier and I’m not here to complain, just to highlight that throwing $$$ on Uber my way isn’t necessarily the solution to everything.
Not easy, but it is workable. Hopefully they will have your car back soon.

Oh I have no issues with this in general. Almost every day requires to adjust and run with anything that comes my way.
But that said, it’s also fine to hold others to some kind of responsibility for their products that we pay for.
I didn’t ask for a red carpet and free champagne when the car broke down, but it’s not unreasonable to ask for a loaner in the meantime while a brand new product fails for no valid reason other than some manufacturing defect.
The issue here is that if that would have been an accident, my insurance would cover the loaner. But since this was well within warranty, I would expect some better treatment than just a shrug.

Your original post is very well expressed. It was neither flaming nor was it writen with no reference to context as many other do nowadays when they face such a situation.

The only concern that I saw was you losing confidence in this vehicle as expressed in your closing statement. It was sending a deep message to the reputation of Tesla as a reliable vehicle. I only hope and wish this was a one off incident and that you regain confidence in your Tesla quickly.

I've learned to just tiptoe around the subject when I'm disappointed in something about the car... or about Tesla. This is a forum where you have to be careful about any criticism, else the "defend mode buzzards" start circling. That's just how this forum is. I love Tesla and my Model 3 but both have faults and if I want to "vent" a bit, this is not the place to do it. ;)

Hope your car is fixed quickly and I'll be interested in the outcome.

Mike

That's strange - I've always been offered a loaner or Uber credits if they need to keep the car. Did you ask the service manager?

I've learned to just tiptoe around the subject when I'm disappointed in something about the car... or about Tesla. This is a forum where you have to be careful about any criticism, else the "defend mode buzzards" start circling. That's just how this forum is. I love Tesla and my Model 3 but both have faults and if I want to "vent" a bit, this is not the place to do it. ;)

Hope your car is fixed quickly and I'll be interested in the outcome.

Mike
Here is a perspective I would like to share. One gets the help from the members to resolve issues when expressed without anger. If one is here to blame Tesla, might as well as sell it off and buy something that would meet their expectations.

By the way, this is the same across all brands of automobiles forums. Nobody wants a nagging wife. Lol.

Reactions: AZAV8R
Here is a perspective I would like to share. One gets the help from the members to resolve issues when expressed without anger. If one is here to blame Tesla, might as well as sell it off and buy something that would meet their expectations.

By the way, this is the same across all brands of automobiles forums. Nobody wants a nagging wife. Lol.

I wouldn't really disagree but here, all you have to do is suggest that some aspect of Tesla (or the car) is deficient. You don't have to do it in anger. And you'll likely get attacked. I have been a member of a LOT of car forums and no others are like this one. I'm STILL a member of the Chevy Bolt forum even after trading mine for a Model 3 in March 2021. Why? Because I can share my opinion with the people on that forum without getting fried in the pan if my opinion is different than someone else's.

Mike

Reactions: AZAV8R