Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 had a stroke it seems like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car still at the service center, now they’re not sure if it’ll be ready today. They made it sound they just wanted to swap the 12V battery but now they’re waiting on parts. Could be Monday they’re saying.
Brings up the loaner question again. Not even Uber credits received so far. Not everyone has a second car and can manage bringing kids to school and so on. That really is leaving a sour taste so far.

I haven’t had such a failure with other new cars, but every time they had even be serviced I got a loaner car for just the day.
Does your insurance policy allow you a rental while your car is being repaired?

I think the big difference in fear level with a Tesla breaking down vs any other vehicle is that a Tesla can only be repaired by Tesla at their whim and schedule. If a BMW 330i breaks down, it can be repaired (probably very quickly) by any BMW dealer OR indy shop no matter where you are. So even if I'm having an issue at Arches National Park, chances are a local garage can get the 330i up and running again within a day or so. Versus a Tesla would have to be sent on a flat bed to the nearest service center (probably in SLC). And then you're at Tesla's mercy of when they can fix it. Now I'm not saying the local garage can solve ALL issues, but they can solve 90% of them. While the local garage can solve maybe 5% of Tesla issues.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
^^I'll still take my chances with a Tesla for long trips. I don't see a major engine problem or transmission issue with an ICE getting fixed in a few days. Parts usually have to be ordered just like with a Tesla and can take a while. What I like about a Tesla, is the motor assembly can be mounted fairly quickly. And no tranny to worry about, or that worrisome oil smell you noticed when getting back to your hot car after hours of driving. You then pop the hood, pull the dipstick and realize the oil level is lower than it should be, but you don't to scare the occupants riding with you. Nah, I'm done dealing with an ICE, likely forever.

Back in 2019 these full on failures of nearly brand new vehicles were super rare. I don't recall many postings at all. Makes me wonder if with part shortages/ chip shortages Tesla got more "creative" in what components they use/ where they source them and if there's a lot of pressure on suppliers to ship everything they produce and minimize QC which would reduce the output.... in either case it's not acceptable to have a brand new vehicle fail like that, be in the shop for a long time and *NOT* get a loaner...

Reactions: phishphan
I agree Tesla seems to have more major failures than any other brand of vehicle. I’m also on the Toyota Prius and BMW boards and I rarely see something that renders the car completely unusable immediately and where it can’t be solved quickly with a new starter or other common item.
and BMW won't tell you "it'll take 4 weeks to fix and we don't provide a loaner"

I agree Tesla seems to have more major failures than any other brand of vehicle. I’m also on the Toyota Prius and BMW boards and I rarely see something that renders the car completely unusable immediately and where it can’t be solved quickly with a new starter or other common item.

Lol, that's just scratching the surface BTW. If you're going to argue about reliability vs Tesla, don't mention BMW. Toyota Prius? Sure, Toyota makes appliances and rarely stray from the working formula, so I can buy that. But I wouldn't be caught dead in one, so I'll happy trade some reliability for a far more satisfying ownership experience.

Reactions: stopcrazypp
…Toyota makes appliances and rarely stray from the working formula, so I can buy that. But I wouldn't be caught dead in one, so I'll happy trade some reliability for a far more satisfying ownership experience.
Given Toyota’s long-term sales numbers, market successes, and number of their vehicles on the highway, I think a lot of people have a “…satisfying ownership experience.” Just not for you obviously, but for many. And the brand Toyota includes the wildly-successful marque Lexus.

Boys and girls. I had a Merc S class in the shop for 3 months at 30 miles.
The car rusted out in 8 years and the air shocks blew out about then.
So what it happens. Hard to compare a brand that was financed with
government money with a start up of a few years. Use the wayback machine
if you need to. Cars break, so what they get fixed. I also had a BMW that
blew the rear end. Hundreds of brake jobs and throw in a good number of
cluches, I guess we will know the answer in 20 years.

How many Teslas do you see on the side of the road?
Note:
550,000 Model 3 were sold in 2021.
59,000 Toyota Prius were sold in 2021

I guess one distinction here is that I would probably complain similarly about my {insert brand here} if it fails and the manufacturer doesn't care about me. I'm not implying Tesla is worse than {other brand}, I'm just stating that it's a poor experience and Tesla doesn't try hard enough to make at least the service experience acceptable.

And there are other factors at play as well, like the supply chain issues, chip shortages, labor shortages, so I'm sure it's similar across the board. It's hard to distinguish these things from past experiences.

Anyway, to come back to topic, so far we haven't had any issues since the last break down. We put almost 1000 additional miles on it and it's been behaving just as I would expect it. Rattles and cosmetic things aside.

Lol, that's just scratching the surface BTW. If you're going to argue about reliability vs Tesla, don't mention BMW. Toyota Prius? Sure, Toyota makes appliances and rarely stray from the working formula, so I can buy that. But I wouldn't be caught dead in one, so I'll happy trade some reliability for a far more satisfying ownership experience.
Why? BMW reliability has been above average for some time now.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Source? And what model? Many of their owners on the forums don't seem to buy that either. Not a big fan of JD Power, but their predicted reliability rating for the 2022 3-series was 79 (average).

Since you are using JD Power. Lots of brands with worse reliability than BMW.

Source? And what model? Many of their owners on the forums don't seem to buy that either. Not a big fan of JD Power, but their predicted reliability rating for the 2022 3-series was 79 (average).
JD Powers is stupid. In fact any customer survey / focus group is stupid because it truly depends upon the target customer and their preferences on what they consider as “quality issues”.

JD Powers is stupid. In fact any customer survey / focus group is stupid because it truly depends upon the target customer and their preferences on what they consider as “quality issues”.
You are correct. Their predicted reliability should be a little more accurate (IMO) as it takes into account more data over a longer period of time, but all-in-all, just like Consumer Reports, the data can be skewed depending on a lot of factors. That's why I mentioned I'm not a big fan. I only referred to it because it's the go-to for many people researching a car.

Reactions: enemji
You are correct. Their predicted reliability should be a little more accurate (IMO) as it takes into account more data over a longer period of time, but all-in-all, just like Consumer Reports, the data can be skewed depending on a lot of factors. That's why I mentioned I'm not a big fan. I only referred to it because it's the go-to for many people researching a car.
Correct. A little creaking center console on a Chrysler 300M is probably not reported as a quality issue but not the case on a Lexus ES350.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Why? BMW reliability has been above average for some time now.
Maybe - my last (2016) only had to have the reared replaced at 24k, but other than that, I can’t think of a significant failure…. It happened, and they handled it, and a very good vehicle overall.

Mercedes - one cracked an exhaust manifold at 10k…another had a very annoying random ignition solenoid that took a year to narrow down - randomly not starting in that time.

Honestly - and shockingly - the Volts may have been the least problems over ownership of them all.

So far…the Tesla is rivaling them, not sure if I can expect over 100k on the original brakes on the 3, like all the Volts have done. Will have to see.