Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 Has Been Keyed 4x in 6 Months - Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I lived in Paris in the late 80's anyone who had an "expensive" car got keyed. It was a class issue. You know, angry serfs? (It may still be a thing). Most just left the key marks as it was so common. So maybe the advice to live with it is best. (The girl I dated had an ancient mini Cooper S, completely restored -- no one touched it.)

Reactions: KenC
When I lived in Paris in the late 80's anyone who had an "expensive" car got keyed. It was a class issue. You know, angry serfs? (It may still be a thing). Most just left the key marks as it was so common. So maybe the advice to live with it is best. (The girl I dated had an ancient mini Cooper S, completely restored -- no one touched it.)
Shoulda kept that girl. She had good taste

Reactions: Perscitus
Just a hunch but I would assume they walked to the vehicle and parked a safe distance away. Just a hunch…
you would assume package thieves and lawn vandals would do the same, yet they and their plates are busted on home surveillance cams all the time

in all seriousness what’s a camera going to do? Takes 5 seconds to key a car. By the time you’re notified they are gone. Person is probably wearing a mask.

sentry mode is not going to help you. Video quality is crappy and a mask defeats it. You are sol. Get a house with a garage.

the point of camera isn't to catch them in the flesh, it's to catch them in the recording.

1617234170025.gif

Sit in your car and soon as the perp shows up... you surprise him!

Attachments

• C1090EFA-6CF8-44B2-9A50-4DB356CD6CBC.jpeg
    C1090EFA-6CF8-44B2-9A50-4DB356CD6CBC.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 59
I'm not sure what to do at this point. It is obvious I am being targeted, as this is happening in my driveway where I live. I do have a prime suspect but sentry mode is not recording these incidents! This week's vandalism was the worst yet - 8 panels (from the hood down the side to the trunk and above the window, $12,600 in damages - I drove to Tesla service to have them check why sentry (which was on) did not - again - catch anything. They guessed maybe it was asleep; maybe they knew how to avoid the front camera and ducked under the side camera. No alarm (triggered only if the car is rocked/shook).

I am looking at trail cameras, dash cam cameras, extra flood lights...am looking for suggestions from the community. I can't keep getting it repaired only to have the car ruined two weeks later. I've lived at my house for 20 years and nothing has ever happened like this. And there are 4 other Teslas on the block!

I do have a nest camera pointed at my car in the driveway but they always target the other side of the car overnight.

Help. I worried my Tesla/Crawford insurance is going to cancel me.View attachment 648662View attachment 648662View attachment 648663View attachment 648664View attachment 648665View attachment 648666View attachment 648667View attachment 648668
You need to check your sentry mode settings. Make sure you do not have it set to exclude your home.
Test it and see if it is working properly. Should be pretty easy to test it at home and in a parking lot. Get another Tesla owner to help you if you need help.
At home get some security cameras. Make sure they cover your parking area and the street so you can see if they walk up, take a bicycle or a car to get to your house. Getting the make / model / license plate of their vehicle would be helpful. It would also help to know if one or more people were involved or if they are kids. Sure seems like Sentry mode should have provided some necessary information. Ask for help setting it up and test it to make sure it is working. If you get a picture of their car you might identify it at work or some where else you go.

I cant help but notice that this OP joined TMC, made this single post, and has not even visited the website since making this post. At this point, since there is no other interaction from the OP other than the opening post, it doesnt feel like a real post.
There are negative-influencers around. They spread information on Tesla-oriented discussion forums that helps to deter newcomers from buying Tesla. A few are found on every Tesla-related discussion board.

I cant help but notice that this OP joined TMC, made this single post, and has not even visited the website since making this post. At this point, since there is no other interaction from the OP other than the opening post, it doesnt feel like a real post.
On the other hand, I've seen people with their first problem, panic, post a query on several sites. Get an answer from one of those sites that helps them, and never go back to the other sites that they carpet bombed in their panic.

Posting all those pics seems real enough. Seems like the fakers, provide minimal hard data so there's little to contradict.

On the other hand, I've seen people with their first problem, panic, post a query on several sites. Get an answer from one of those sites that helps them, and never go back to the other sites that they carpet bombed in their panic.

Posting all those pics seems real enough. Seems like the fakers, provide minimal hard data so there's little to contradict.

True, I have seen that as well (what you describe). This specific circumstance, though, is nothing any forum could do anything about, really. If true, it means the OP is being specifically targeted for "reasons". The reasons kind of dont matter, so we should not assume what the reason(s) is / are. If the story is true, the undeniable fact is, the OP is being targeted.

Something like this could easily escalate, as well. The only solution I see is to remove oneself from the situation (move) because even if they could park in a garage or something, a person who did this multiple times might just find some other way to torment this OP, and I would be wary of it escalating.

So, there isnt much a forum can do, here.

• Helpful
Reactions: KenC
If u can afford a Tesla your house should have a garage esp in LA. Get that junk out of the garage and put it in. I hear it all the time in my los angeles hood neighbors complaining their cars have been burglarized overnight in their driveways the homes on this street have 2 and 3 car garages and still leave their cars outside with the garages full of crap

• Disagree
Reactions: Pied and Kevy Baby
Not sure if anyone pointed this out from the previous comments, but it appears to be a lady taking the pics of her scratched car from the reflection of the car.

Def someone they pissed off un-doubtly.

It's sad to say but even a dirty look or less would piss someone one off, people are just super sensitive and feel righteous to get revenge

If u can afford a Tesla your house should have a garage esp in LA.
I really hate the "if you can afford a Tesla..." argument - it is simply misleading and inaccurate, not to mention classist

Also, many places in nice neighborhoods with nice houses/condos/apartments don't have garages. Friends who live in Silverlake with a home valued at around $1.5 million do not have a usable garage.

This thread makes me sad for humanity. Not just for the abhorrent nature of the vandal who is repeatedly targeting the OP, but for the responses they received in this forum:
  • Stop sleeping with your neighbor's wife and maybe this wouldn't happen to you
  • Move
  • Build a garage
  • Get the worthless junk out of the garage you already have
  • Meh, just live with it
  • You're obviously just a troll trying to manipulate TSLA stock with this fake post
  • Apparently you really pissed someone off. What did you do?
  • Stop being so rich, you're angering the peasants
  • Maybe you just have resting bitch face?
  • Ain't no problem in 'merica that can't done be fixed with more guns
Sheesh. I'm sorry to see what your own neighbors have done to your car @eightofspades I would be simultaneously heartbroken and livid, and I'm sorry to see the way the Tesla community has welcomed you to this board. Perhaps a Nextdoor post would raise awareness with the kids parents or let the perp know you're on to them? A driveway sensor and/or motion-detector floodlight would likely help if practical, and perhaps a battery-powered security camera like "Blink" could be placed somewhere in the yard to try to catch them.