Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 has gotten more aggressive about "topping off" the battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on data from my Sense Energy Monitor it would appear that after one of the recent software updates the battery charging behavior has changed.

Before my battery would drift a couple percentage points over night (perhaps in part due to cold weather), it would not recharge till it was down by at least 3%. But now it appears to kick back in about an hour after the initial charge finishes and presumably it "tops it off" after the battery cools a bit? It also has done it in the middle of the night long after charging has finished.

So I am pretty sure this is new behavior. I have also noticed lately that I am at 79% or 80% more often now in the AM.

Note that this could also be related to the weather (which is what I first assumed was the reason for higher battery state in the AM until I looked at these graphs). It has warmed up considerably in Oregon lately and I park outside. I suppose it is also possible that this has been the behavior for quite some time, but it only does it when the battery is warm enough to accept a charge without having to pre-heat the battery first?

Regardless, assuming this is not bad for the battery due to more charging sessions then I am all for it. It was annoying me to down some range every AM... When I set the car to 80% charge I kind of want it to be pretty close to there when I leave.

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 10.53.22 PM.png

Note that you can tell when the car is charging compared to other loads in the house. The massive spikes are all the car (11.5kW). Everything else in my house is gas and so other loads are just noise. The yellow is solar production.

• Love
Reactions: 22522 and Zoomit
Sentry mode def. uses a lot more power. My father-in-laws car went from 307 miles to 282 miles in 14 hours. He's a new owner and wanted to see if he would get 310 miles on a charge and he wasn't going any where so I turned on Sentry mode to burn off some miles...I didn't realize it would use that many though.

Side note, I noticed one of my 3's was topping off more frequently than the other. It looks like it was Teslafi which I only have on one car. I enabled their sleep mode and I'm hoping it will go back to normal now.

This started happening to me last night after updating to 8.5
It was not happening on 5.15 and didn’t notice it on 8.4 but only had that for 2-3 days. I’m gonna do a reset and and see if it keeps happening. I once had a similar behavior where I was getting repeated charge complete notifications. Can’t remeber though if a reset fixed it or if an update fixed it.

I have 5.15, the past couple weeks it was doing it, but not any more !

What’s changed since it stopped? I also noticed today if you plug in with a SOC close to set limit, ie plug in at 89% and it’s set to 90%, it will start charging. Where as before you’d have to be lower than just 1% from set limit for it to start charging.

Now it has to lose 2 % beforestarting to charge again. No big difference though...
It used to start charging as soon as i lost 1%.

That makes me wonder if something got messed up with the firmware update last night. Mine will start charging even if it’s only 1% and is starting to charge again every hr after charge is complete.

If your car is sitting outside in the cold, it might have an effect ?

It’s been in the same unheated attached garage since September. This started immediately after the 8.5 update last night. Either coincidence or something with the update. Virtually every hour it topped off. I took it off the charger before 7:15am otherwise it would probably have started again

0B4712D1-4952-46FC-8D7E-40321A16E977.jpeg