Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model 3 hit a deer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving to Zion Canyon past week, and a deer jumped out of no-where. I had no time to react and it hit the right front side of my model 3.

Deer ran into the right headlight, jumped up a little and the antelrs hit the hood leaving few scratches, then hit the side mirror and right passenger door.

It happened all too fast, but luckily my family was all okay, and the car was drivable after the accident.

Hoping for a quick repair time. Ill be missing driving this car while in the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_20180922_215045.jpg
    IMG_20180922_215045.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 471
I was driving to Zion Canyon past week, and a deer jumped out of no-where. I had no time to react and it hit the right front side of my model 3.

Deer ran into the right headlight, jumped up a little and the antelrs hit the hood leaving few scratches, then hit the side mirror and right passenger door.

It happened all too fast, but luckily my family was all okay, and the car was drivable after the accident.

Hoping for a quick repair time. Ill be missing driving this car while in the shop.
Sucks but glad your ok. What time of day did this occur?

Not much you can do about deer. If you are in a deer area you have to keep an extra careful eye out, especially on the roadside and in adjacent fields/forests. Dusk and dawn are the worst and also during full moons, when they seem to be about more at night.

I think EV's are also a mixed bag when it comes to deer. On one hand they don't seem to react as much since EVs don't make much noise but at the same time when they do notice you and realize you are a car, they can do crazy things like jumping right in front of you.

yeah, I am fine. Just mad at myself of being on that road. A poster on this thread described the situation perfectly: dusk, full moon, and it probably didn't even hear me coming. I was at or under speed limit, but probably could/should have been driving more slowly though I don't even know if that would have mattered.

Busted casing to headlight (though both headlights work), busted proximity sensor, dented hood, and a small crack in windshield. Probably some other scratches to fender and such.

Could have been a lot worse....I just love this car and it's only been a couple of weeks since I bought it. This will likely be my first insurance claim too.

Reactions: SMAlset
yeah, I am fine. Just mad at myself of being on that road. A poster on this thread described the situation perfectly: dusk, full moon, and it probably didn't even hear me coming. I was at or under speed limit, but probably could/should have been driving more slowly though I don't even know if that would have mattered.

Busted casing to headlight (though both headlights work), busted proximity sensor, dented hood, and a small crack in windshield. Probably some other scratches to fender and such.

Could have been a lot worse....I just love this car and it's only been a couple of weeks since I bought it. This will likely be my first insurance claim too.

Ah feel for you. Especially owning it for so short of a time. Glad your okay but damage sounds similar to OPs.

Glad you're okay. Cars and things can be replace or fixed.

I too am curious about whether or not the car saw it before you did. It sounds more like the deer hit you than you hit the deer, so I'm guessing the car didn't react. My Subaru's Eyesight has saved my bacon once and that made the investment worth it with just that one incident, but it didn't see a coyote on I-80 in Wyoming late at night. I did my best to avoid the poor guy who was just trying to pick off some road kill for dinner, but he darted in 2 different directions and the second time was right into my path. Being a dog person and seeing his face in the headlights just before impact has haunted me.

Sorry to hear, but glad everyone is okay! I already have the suicidal deer vs Model 3 T-shirt. Next challenge for the Tesla sensor suite team - detect incoming deer! Damage is about $3,700 with replacement fender, headlight, bumper cover and some repair to the hood. Sounds like yours will be a bit more. Good news is that the parts arrived in about 2 weeks (according to shop), bad news is the shop is busy and can't get to it until mid Jan.

IMG_20181205_200442.jpg

Last edited: