Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 Impressions - Got to Drive It!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's true for the MS, but not sure about M3. If you have info to the contrary, please share it. A link would be helpful.
Most of the features in the app wouldn't make sense if you had to be in bluetooth range. But specifically, the manual specifies:

Mobile App

In addition to allowing you to use your smartphone as your Model 3 key, the mobile app allows you to:

• Lock or unlock Model 3 from afar.
• Check charging progress and receive notifications when charging has started, has been interrupted, or is complete.
• Heat or cool Model 3 before driving (even if it's in a garage).
• Locate Model 3 with directions, or track its movement across a map.
• Flash the exterior lights or honk the horn to find Model 3 when parked.
• Start Model 3 remotely.
• Park or unpark Model 3 using Summon (see Using Summon on page 70).
• Receive notifications when the car alarm has been triggered.
• Receive notifications when a vehicle software update is available or scheduled (see Software Updates on page 102).

You guys really believe that Tesla will stop at hundred per day, don't you?

260 per month by hand to 100 per day by robots is a huge leap. It's really a big deal. Thus means they have solved the bottlenecks.

From there to reaching 300 per day is a lesser problem.
Do you understand what a production plan is and what consequences it has when you`re heavily delayed?
That´s easily a delay of 3-6 months we`re talking about and as a shareholder I don`t even want to think about the mess that`s the financial plan thanks to that.
There`s only so many shareholder meetings where Musk can announce record losses without investors getting nervous.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. It would be reassuring if someone with a M3 would try to unlock/drive the car with Bluetooth turned OFF on the smartphone.

There's been no suggestion that the M3 app works any different then the S/X app when it comes to remote unlocking, climate control, etc. The Bluetooth functionality is only for turning your phone into a key fob.

Do you understand what a production plan is and what consequences it has when you`re heavily delayed?
That´s easily a delay of 3-6 months we`re talking about and as a shareholder I don`t even want to think about the mess that`s the financial plan thanks to that.
There`s only so many shareholder meetings where Musk can announce record losses without investors getting nervous.....

People are so impatient.
Also, people already know Musk does not follow a "quarterly" outlook when he invents/makes something.
I agree with mkjayakumar. They are ramping up. This takes time. Now that they're at 100 cars a day, getting to the next level is going to be easier. People expect the production line to pump out 1000 cars a day immediately. No one knows how complicated things are to even reach a level of 100 cars a day.
Everyone's car will soon arrive. Can't wait for my opportunity. And I still have to deposit money for my turn. :)

Thanks for the info. It would be reassuring if someone with a M3 would try to unlock/drive the car with Bluetooth turned OFF on the smartphone.
I watched a Model 3 owner use the regular Tesla app to unlock his car because the bluetooth app had stopped working on his Pixel 2 phone, as discussed elsewhere. He didn't try to drive it with the phone so I don't know if that works, although my guess is that it does.

Using the phone app in this way requires an internet connection for both the phone and car. Not a problem in most places but not something I'd want to rely on where I live.

How are they transporting the cars out of the factory?

100/day is about 2 trucks per hour. I'd kill for a webcam showing those leaving the premises, one after another!

They usually don't ship out cars immediately as soon as they're made. It'd be nice to have things like that, but it doesn't work like that. Typically they park them around a big lot, lining them all up ready for truck shipments.

The only time I've seen consistent pickups is when the factory was pumping out 1000 cars a day. Those big rigs were constantly coming and going.

They're getting there...

We have one person reporting second hand knowledge from a delivery center employee that they are at 100 cars per day and everyone wants to believe it as gospel.

Maybe they are maybe they aren’t but I would hold off on popping the champagne corks just yet.

I’m the person reporting what I heard at the delivery center and I agree with voip-ninja. I’m not sure where this employee who received the car works and it is second hand. Please don’t go crazy over analyzing what this is or means. I just reported what I heard and in retrospect probably shouldn’t have said anything. I have no way of validating this and I’m taking it with a grain of salt. What I’m seeing out there is many more cars in lots and getting delivered. In addition the configuration website has opened for non-employees. These are all good signs of progress but in no way quantify anything or offer us any real clues as to delivery for each of us. I suggest we sit back and consume the info we receive and wait for our turn. I’m most interested in getting a quality car when all the kinks have been worked out. I also want to see how the car looks, feels, and drives.

Interesting that many of us have Pixels; spouse and I have two Pixel XLs. They’re running Android version 8 which might be the problem.

I don’t appreciate this remark. We reserved at the launch event and don’t want a $50,000 car, much less a $90,000 one. I’m sure MANY reservation holders are in the same price point; that’s why they don’t have an S or X.

“I think most people buying a lower-priced car don't place orders and wait for a year or more for their car to arrive so this is quite a phenomena and shows how hungry people are for a long range EV with great styling and Tesla technology.“

How are they transporting the cars out of the factory?

100/day is about 2 trucks per hour. I'd kill for a webcam showing those leaving the premises, one after another!
Achieving a production rate of 100 cars/day doesn't mean they're building 100 cars each day. For all we know, the line coughs out 50 cars when they turn it on for 12 hours and then they shut it down for a week to tinker with it.

I watched a Model 3 owner use the regular Tesla app to unlock his car because the bluetooth app had stopped working on his Pixel 2 phone, as discussed elsewhere. He didn't try to drive it with the phone so I don't know if that works, although my guess is that it does.

Using the phone app in this way requires an internet connection for both the phone and car. Not a problem in most places but not something I'd want to rely on where I live.
I was curious if it is possible to drive my Model S using just the phone app. It is: I have to enter my Tesla account password and then I have two minutes to start the car. Works fine if both car and phone have cell or WiFi reception. I presume that the Model 3 could be driven in the same way in the absence of the key card and the bluetooth phone app, although it is rather inconvenient.