Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 interior making me sick (literally)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One other thing to consider is the AC. Lots of folks complaining about odor out of the AC. That could be stagnant water that might cause problems. Maybe a clogged drain or something.

Relative to the AC as a potential contributor, I periodically switch when I drive from AC recirculate to Vent fresh air position, mostly kept it on recirc thinking better to keep pollen out but guess we have 2nd best air filters next to MS/MX’s (with their HEPA/bioweapon defense) so maybe not necessary. As soon as I start to detect something with my nose, I pull up the controls and make the change. I understand the moisture could build up. The fresh air for a while seems to take care of it in my car.

I am sorry you are still dealing with this . I had two ideas:

1) There are companies that will test for mold and other pollutants in air. I used one of them when I had a potential mold issue in a rental property. This could help identify the specific cause of your illness.

2) Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I was pretty impressed by this gadget:

Reactions: Kleenerth3
OP,
Raising this one from the dead:
Sorry to hear about the issues you're dealing with. So, I had the same issue this past week. I was provided a Model 3 for two days as a test drive and the symptoms you describe are the same that I experienced and ultimately led me to search the internet for anyone else feeling what I felt. I have a 60mile (one way) commute and the one complaint I had of the car, was the off-gassing of the vinyl seats choking me out. I ended up driving with all the windows partially down to help alleviate the problem. My hopes are, like most new cars, the smell with dissipate with time, but how much time are we talking about- I've not owned a vehicle with vinyl seats before so only time will tell. I still plan to order mine for mid-September and I've already found a remedy that I figured I'd share since it wasn't posted by any of the other members. Check out T-Sportline as they custom make new seat skins in leather. They have to be professionally installed but it may be the answer you need. Best of luck-

OP,
Raising this one from the dead:
Sorry to hear about the issues you're dealing with. So, I had the same issue this past week. I was provided a Model 3 for two days as a test drive and the symptoms you describe are the same that I experienced and ultimately led me to search the internet for anyone else feeling what I felt. I have a 60mile (one way) commute and the one complaint I had of the car, was the off-gassing of the vinyl seats choking me out. I ended up driving with all the windows partially down to help alleviate the problem. My hopes are, like most new cars, the smell with dissipate with time, but how much time are we talking about- I've not owned a vehicle with vinyl seats before so only time will tell. I still plan to order mine for mid-September and I've already found a remedy that I figured I'd share since it wasn't posted by any of the other members. Check out T-Sportline as they custom make new seat skins in leather. They have to be professionally installed but it may be the answer you need. Best of luck-

Hi MKVTDI. First of all, sorry to hear that you're having to deal with this too. It's truly miserable. In my research, I've discovered that the seats covers are actually polyurethane (PU) and not vinyl. These are also at the top of my list in terms of causes. I actually removed the seats from my vehicle for a week and did notice some improvement but it wasn't a total fix. That may have been because other materials in the vehicle had absorbed whatever the seat covers were emitting. I've also been looking into real leather replacement (or even fabric) but I'm stuck because $2k for something that may or may not help is a big investment. What I do know is that I don't seem to react to rental cars and other newish cars that I've been in. Are you going to have the upholstery redone in yours?

I am sorry you are still dealing with this . I had two ideas:

1) There are companies that will test for mold and other pollutants in air. I used one of them when I had a potential mold issue in a rental property. This could help identify the specific cause of your illness.

2) Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I was pretty impressed by this gadget:

I actually just got off the phone yesterday with a company that can do analysis. Am looking further into it but at $200 per test I want to be sure I'm having the right test done. As far as the car air filter, I looked around and can't find that. Any idea where to buy/read more?

A quick update: After a year, my Model 3 still smells enough like glue/plastic that it still makes me sick. Rode in a friend's 3 month old 2019 Model 3, with the same interior as mine, and no smell, no sick. This was the same as the Turo car I rented before buying (in that I didn't have a problem with that either). My car was built during the initial push to hit 5000 and soon after AWD first started shipping. Seriously wondering if I got a lemon that got fitted with either poorly made interior components, excessive glue or both. I doubt they were doing a lot of quality checks on that, given the issues in summer of 2018 with the exterior. Someone I spoke to recently posited that some interior component could be "breaking down" due to poor quality (and thus outgassing more than normal). The plot thickens...

He has same exterior and interior color. His is RWD and mine is AWD. I need to ask if there's anything else but it wasn't visible.
This might sound weird but do you react to the AC/Motor coolant? It could be the plastic but you'd figure it would outgas within a year. If there is a small coolant leak somewhere it would always have the smell (coming through the vents). I had a VW Jetta TDI that had a very small coolant leak and the car always smelled like crayons. It's probably a different coolant compound so would smell different.

This might sound weird but do you react to the AC/Motor coolant? It could be the plastic but you'd figure it would outgas within a year. If there is a small coolant leak somewhere it would always have the smell (coming through the vents). I had a VW Jetta TDI that had a very small coolant leak and the car always smelled like crayons. It's probably a different coolant compound so would smell different.

Nothing sounds weird to me at this point ;) Appreciate the thought. I haven't had any issues in the past with coolant but maybe never had a leak. I've tried being in the car with the air/vents off (even just sitting in it while in the garage) and still having the same result so I don't think that's it.

Nothing sounds weird to me at this point ;) Appreciate the thought. I haven't had any issues in the past with coolant but maybe never had a leak. I've tried being in the car with the air/vents off (even just sitting in it while in the garage) and still having the same result so I don't think that's it.
:/ Bummer. I hope you can figure it out, I have similar problems but not with plastic. Certain papers make it it hard for me to breathe.

OP, I am so thankful for your post. I am 5 days in to my new Model 3 (black interior) and the off-gassing is extreme. With windows cracked while I'm at home, my whole garage now smells the same and I can even smell it in my house near the garage door.

While I'm driving, I keep at least one window cracked and never recirculate the air. Even with that, I have a sore throat within a few minutes of being in the car, and then a headache and nausea follow. After reading this whole thread, I am seriously considering whether I should take advantage of the 7 day return policy (perhaps look at some gently used Teslas?).

I live in Colorado and won't be able to drive with the windows cracked for a year. I'm not optimistic that this will fade away any time soon. Like you, I find it totally overpowering. Wondering if you've found a fix yet, or what you would do if you were in my shoes (or my seats... I think it's the seats, btw.)

OP, I am so thankful for your post. I am 5 days in to my new Model 3 (black interior) and the off-gassing is extreme. With windows cracked while I'm at home, my whole garage now smells the same and I can even smell it in my house near the garage door.

While I'm driving, I keep at least one window cracked and never recirculate the air. Even with that, I have a sore throat within a few minutes of being in the car, and then a headache and nausea follow. After reading this whole thread, I am seriously considering whether I should take advantage of the 7 day return policy (perhaps look at some gently used Teslas?).

I live in Colorado and won't be able to drive with the windows cracked for a year. I'm not optimistic that this will fade away any time soon. Like you, I find it totally overpowering. Wondering if you've found a fix yet, or what you would do if you were in my shoes (or my seats... I think it's the seats, btw.)

Really nice to hear that I helped you with my post. I'm really sorry that you're experiencing this. I have not found a fix. My wife is driving the Model 3 and I'm not. Coincidentally I did recently ride a friend's Model 3 and it seemed hugely better (and is much newer). I don't know if it's amount of use, build quality, different supplier materials. It's probably all of the above.

Someone else posted here recently that they were also having this experience but are likely going to swap the seat material out for real leather. I would try the same myself but it's a $2000 gamble. One of us will do this and then have an answer but until then, nobody knows.

My feeling is that there is probably more of this happening in Teslas than other vehicles because (and I am just guessing here): a) They are a "break things" kind of Valley startup type company and they are likely not doing the kind of careful material science that other companies have done b) They are probably using newer or non-standard materials in an attempt, ironically, to provide a healthier, greener environment for drivers. But these materials probably have less testing behind them. c) Maybe "vegan leather" seats?

But, I digress... you asked what I would do at this point knowing what I know. So:

1. Feel free to DM me to compare details. At one point I was wondering if it might be coming from the tires (because of the strong smell in the garage, that I was keeping windows open, that the smell is reminiscent of rubber). Are you on 19" wheels or the 18" aeros? I'm happy to troubleshoot. And because we are a small minority, it's good to stick together.

2. Are you close to a service center in CO? I would tell them what's happening and see if you can come by and see if you have the same issues in other Model 3s. Maybe you can get them to agree to extend the 7-day period while you work with them to check out other cars? Not discovering that my friend's Model 3 was soooo much better than mine until now was frustrating. All this time, I was thinking that the level of off gassing was normal in my vehicle.

3. Tesla could probably resolve, or at least mitigate, this if they would stop stonewalling. They could work with owners to try to track down the offending material (be it seat or otherwise), making it safer for all customers. Make sure that service/sales relays what's happening to management and that they know that you've heard this from other owners.

The smell will definitely lessen. But, if you're as sensitive as I am to whatever the chemical is then it's also likely that it's going to be a while before you can comfortably drive it (and I'm still waiting to get my car back from my wife after 1 year). Therefore, given the choice, I would talk to sales and kind of set up to be ready to return. Knowing now that you are sensitive, I would quickly check out used Model 3s (luckily you have this option now; when I bought my Model 3 was pretty much the oldest AWD available and there was no 7-day return) to find one that seems tolerable. If you can't tolerate any of them then it's likely that yours won't be either. If that fails then there should be other manufacturer options coming along. But it's a tough time to be buying an electric car if you're sensitive because there are not a lot of used electric cars out there.

I hope this helps (and doesn't further confuse you). It's a strange place to be and the answers are definitely not clear.

Appreciate the quick reply! My guess is that they won't likely extend the 7 day policy, but I haven't sold my Lexus hybrid, so I can return it and still have wheels while I figure out next steps.

To answer your questions:

1. I have the 19" wheels. I don't think it's the wheels since the smell is so strong in the interior, while at home or on the move.

2. I live relatively close to a service center- just under an hour. I dread telling them about this issue being a dealbreaker on a $50K car. Pretty sure we are considered "sensitive" people as you've mentioned in this thread.

3. It's hard to imagine they will stop stonewalling unless there was more of an uprising! I don't think they'd really care, unless there was a threat of legal action.

Now that I am completely hooked on the Tesla experience, I don't want anything else. Interesting that the return policy includes a strict clause that you cannot get the same model/trim once you return one.

I still have some research to do. Does a used car count as the same model/trim, or do they mean that just for new cars? Are there used Model 3s with leather seats?

I will call and probably visit the service center tomorrow, wince that's my last day eligible to return. I like your idea of checking out the other cars there. Thanks.

I still have some research to do. Does a used car count as the same model/trim, or do they mean that just for new cars? Are there used Model 3s with leather seats?

I doubt a used car would count, as used cars don't have the 7-day return policy available. And no, there weren't any Model 3s made with leather seats. (So the only way you would get one is if someone had replaced the seats with leather.)