Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 Needs Yet Another Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Windshield #1 was hit by a rock. I waited 10 weeks to finally get it replaced. During that wait, it was hit by a second rock for a total of 2 star cracks and one really long one to the edge.

Now two weeks after getting Windshield #2, it now has 2 large star cracks from rock impacts. Hopefully I can get windshield #3 in 2 weeks.

It seems like I'm getting hit a lot and the windshield is easily cracked. On the other hand, I had a Ford Edge with 2 cracked windshields in quick succession.

Perhaps I should set autopilot on maximum follow distance.

Every time I visited the state of Louisiana in my Mini Cooper on my way to FL from TX I get a rock hit on my windshield with the respective star.
now I have a crack on my roof and been waiting for a new glass panel for 3 weeks

Is Safelite an auth dealer for Tesla windshields

This is from the Safelite website. I also just had to file a claim for my rear window and did it through the Allstate website and that took me to a site to schedule with Safelite. So they at least claim to be experts for Tesla's.
upload_2019-7-22_18-3-28.png

10 week wait? How long ago was that?

Mine got a bad crack June 20th- I made an appointment in the app for Tesla to replace it, soonest appointment was... June 26th... dropped it off, got an S85D loaner, got my own car back, repaired, 22 hours later.

(USAA insurance FWIW, $0 deductible on comprehensive stuff like glass- I did have to pay at time of service but USAA cut a check as soon as I sent them the invoice so technically I made a profit on this work via credit card points for the repair cost; USAA by default wants you to use safelite- but they explicitly don't do Teslas around here)

Last edited:
Seems very inconsistent, after getting a big crack from a rock hit this weekend, scheduled for service at closest service center and was told no ETA try again August 30th, tried at a different service center 10 miles away and they confirmed my appointment for tomorrow. My insurance company sent me to some sort of safelite joint venture line, and they said they don’t do Tesla’s in my area...

Speed + follow distance. This is why I wish there was a true variable follow distance for autopilot. When going over 70 mph, I’d like a follow distance of at least 5, but under 35 mph, a distance of 1 (in stop and go, I wish you could set it at 0!). If you leave it at 5, at low speed, you get cut off by everyone. If you leave it at 1 at high speed, you’re asking for a new windshield... if not a new car.

For small star cracks (<.75 in ~ 2cm) I find it easier to use one of those little repair kits from the auto store or Amazon that injects glue, hides the crack and stops it from growing, than to arrange the replacement. Some insurance companies will have a pro do it for free if you are not so inclined.

I caught a rock in my windshield and it had a spreading crack from a star pattern within five minutes. I'm going through Satellite (it gets replaced tomorrow), and it took three weeks for them to get their hands on a new windshield from Tesla. The following day I take it to Tesla to have the cameras recalibrated, since Satellite does not do that. In the future, I'll probably just have the company the Tesla dealer uses replace the windshield so they can then do the recalibration immediately after. It would save a separate trip.

• Informative
Reactions: lukex4