Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model 3 prevented a crash by applying emergency braking while in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad to hear the Tesla worked so well!

BTW, this is why experts, including the AAA, recommend backing into parking spaces.
(Why? Pulling out head first is a lot easier/safer! And, you've got more control / awareness
when backing *in* then you do when backing *out*.)

I learned that a few years ago, and try to apply it to my own parking :)
That all makes sense. Sometime it is just hard to back into parking spaces though, especially in busy parking lots. But I agree, it is much safer that way.

Just wanted to share my experience with everyone here. About two weeks ago, I was backing up from a parking spot and this other car rapidly backed up without checking his surroundings and almost crashed into my car. I was nervous and my foot was in acceleration, as I was in reverse. It all happened so fast that I didn't even have time to react and I am quite certain I was still pressing on the acceleration. However, my awesome Tesla triggered emergency brake and stopped my car from crashing into the other car (there was an emergency brake alert on the screen). I honked and the driver finally realized I was there and pulled forward at that point. Yet another reason I am thankful for Tesla.

Wish mine had done that. Last week backed into the other car reversing across from me. My fault as witnessed by my rear facing side cameras which showed the other car had stopped but mine continued until the warning but only inches away and didn't stop in time. My rear camera was blacked out which happened 10% of the time until the last update a couple days ago.

Reactions: Shiva
Wish mine had done that. Last week backed into the other car reversing across from me. My fault as witnessed by my rear facing side cameras which showed the other car had stopped but mine continued until the warning but only inches away and didn't stop in time. My rear camera was blacked out which happened 10% of the time until the last update a couple days ago.
Sorry to hear about your incident. On my case I think it worked because the other car was in motion the whole time. I wish the warning signs would come up much sooner. I have the backup camera blacking out problem as well, did so many bug reports but still does that frequently.

• Funny
Reactions: David W Virtue
I honestly don't know why it did that. It all happened so quick! I wonder if it applied 2 emergency braking? The first one was more of a "soft brake" though. I was relieved to know that the emergency braking works while in reverse :)
I've experienced something like this trying to go forward at slow speed when an object appeared. I am not saying this is what happened to you, yet in my case I had my foot on the accelerator, the car braked, but because my foot was still on the accelerator, I was able to override the automatic braking that happened for just a split second. I realized something was coming so I took my foot off the accelerator and getting ready to apply the brake, but the Tesla beat me to it and braked a second time.

I've experienced something like this trying to go forward at slow speed when an object appeared. I am not saying this is what happened to you, yet in my case I had my foot on the accelerator, the car braked, but because my foot was still on the accelerator, I was able to override the automatic braking that happened for just a split second. I realized something was coming so I took my foot off the accelerator and getting ready to apply the brake, but the Tesla beat me to it and braked a second time.
That is probably what happened in my case as well. My foot was still in the acceleration, I probably override the first one but Tesla braked again because it realized I was about to crash.

This happened to me as well however, I though I was hit and got out of my car to look. The woman said, "I didn't hit you!" She was right. the car just stopped abruptly. I said to her, then have a nice day and she said "pay attention next time".

Just wanted to share my experience with everyone here. About two weeks ago, I was backing up from a parking spot and this other car rapidly backed up without checking his surroundings and almost crashed into my car. I was nervous and my foot was in acceleration, as I was in reverse. It all happened so fast that I didn't even have time to react and I am quite certain I was still pressing on the acceleration. However, my awesome Tesla triggered emergency brake and stopped my car from crashing into the other car (there was an emergency brake alert on the screen). I honked and the driver finally realized I was there and pulled forward at that point. Yet another reason I am thankful for Tesla.

who operated the camera and how did you get this posted?

This happened to me as well however, I though I was hit and got out of my car to look. The woman said, "I didn't hit you!" She was right. the car just stopped abruptly. I said to her, then have a nice day and she said "pay attention next time".
I am glad it stopped for you and didn't hit the other car. I had the same feeling when this happened as well. I was quite certain I had hit the other car but it was just that feeling of hard brake.

Glad to hear the Tesla worked so well!

BTW, this is why experts, including the AAA, recommend backing into parking spaces.
(Why? Pulling out head first is a lot easier/safer! And, you've got more control / awareness
when backing *in* then you do when backing *out*.)

I learned that a few years ago, and try to apply it to my own parking :)

A couple business next to mine have that as a policy fro employees, They supply a lot of industrial companies. So many of them in vans and pickup trucks have backed into the fire hydrant on the curb they had to put a rod with a flag on it to help people see.

Funny part is it still happens almost weekly. Worst was a VW Atlas and a Model X. The VW needed almost 10 grand in repairs. Don't know the X repair cost. And both those cars have backup cameras.

Hmm why didn’t my car stop when that happened??????

Embarrassed to say that I did the same thing on the first day I had my 3. In fact, it was the first time I ever reversed in it. I was exiting my driveway and there was a car parked where none is ever parked. All my fault. I never experienced the regen braking in reverse and I think it threw me a second, just enough that I hit the parked car. Mine beeped but it was too late. Ugh.
Same for me! Need an emergency stop feature when backing up!!!!