Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model 3 says full at 210 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you bought an ICE car that had a 12 gallon tank and EPA rated 30 MPG, you would never "complain" to the dealer if a full tank didn't drive you exactly 360mi.

I do not expect my SR to actually drive 220mi on a full charge. But I do expect it to charge to 220mi when new. I know I will never drive the EPA's path with the exact same conditions to achieve a distance of 220mi, but I sure would like it to at least charge to 220mi when 100% charged. If it only charges to 200 or 210 or whatever when brand new, that makes you a little concerned about what it will charge to when the battery actually starts showing degradation.

Reactions: jrcase
it thinks there is 58 kWh in the battery. Now we know there's a buffer on top of this.

As shown in the other thread, actually this number includes the buffer.

so that would put my pack at 61.5 kWh which is about the 62kWh a mid range was reported to have (of course Tesla doesn't publish these numbers, so it's hard to know).

As you have discovered, no, you should not add this 2.5kWh buffer (it’s always around 4.5-4.7% of the full battery size) to this calculation. Your battery has 58kWh capacity, including the buffer.

. If it only charges to 200 or 210 or whatever when brand new, that makes you a little concerned about what it will charge to when the battery actually starts showing degradation.

Seems like a very reasonable concern. I have a hard time understanding people who say not to worry about the battery gauge number. It really matters! It is much better to have (for an AWD) 310 miles at a full charge than 285 miles! You very very likely have a lot more real-world range because you have more energy available! No one has shown that the cars displaying lower miles actually contain more energy per mile - and they very likely don’t. All else being equal, you want to see a larger number! If I’m stretching for a Supercharger, I definitely would prefer to see 10% projected arrival charge (very safe) over 5% (requires thought)!

Hopefully this is just a screw up with BMS programming from Tesla, but it has been going on since early summer, so at this point it seems like we just have to assume for now it represents true loss of capacity. And hope that we are wrong.

Last edited:
I have the exact same issue, started yesterday. Charge at 100% is 204 miles, it was always around 238 miles. I always charge to 90% and it was always 212-216 miles, yesterday and today it is 184 (at 90%). I did not get any new update, it just stared happening yesterday. (I'm on 2019.28.3.1). Reset didn't fix it. I made an appointment at service. Btw I'm also in Florida.
Hey did they fix your range issue?

I spoke to one of the managers at the Tesla dealer in West Palm Beach Florida and he is going to do an investigation because this happened to multiple cars on September 1st.
that would be nice, keep us posted. It sure did hit hard one upgrade and i lost all those miles with the car parked. maybe ole musk needs to see this someone with a twitter or whatever these kids are using nowadays should hit him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.