Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model 3 says full at 210 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Measuring degradation using “rated miles” at 100% charge is less than idea, as Tesla can change the internal wh/mile constant whenever they so feel.

However, since the constant can be measured and we know what it has been in all of 2019, this strategy will not work on anyone here. Because we will just be able to detect the change in the constant!

But it is all kind of silly - they can fool us in other ways - they don’t even have to change the constant - Tesla could just scale the trip meter kWh reading, leave the constant the same, and fool everyone. All of these values are just numbers and there is no reason they have to represent the actual energy involved (and in fact there is evidence that perhaps some of them don’t).

The only way to actually detect changes is to measure with a known home meter exactly what voltage (important because it changes from the utility and this affects charging efficiency a little) and power is supplied to the vehicle, and how many wall kWh at that charging power it takes to charge it a given number of rated miles. Then you can detect any changes to the vehicle capacity, because that home meter is one thing Tesla can not control.

Even this is subject to error - because the charging overhead could be optimized (or made worse) by Tesla and that would make it look like your vehicle has lower (or higher) capacity. There are probably ways to back out that error source as well.

Anyway, someone should set up their carefully documented controlled experiment on a new vehicle, I suppose. ;)

Try this and report your result....

Look at any of the consumption graphs. Take the Wh/ml and range.
Note battery % (as a fraction).

kWh = (Wh/ml x remaining range) / (battery % x 1000).

Ex. (240 x 110) / (0.5 x 1000) = 52.8kWh

I always get 52.5kWh as the answer. But not tried since V10.0, will report back.

Try this and report your result....

Look at any of the consumption graphs. Take the Wh/ml and range.
Note battery % (as a fraction).

kWh = (Wh/ml x remaining range) / (battery % x 1000).

Ex. (240 x 110) / (0.5 x 1000) = 52.8kWh

I always get 52.5kWh as the answer. But not tried since V10.0, will report back.

I get 51.9 doing this method. 100% charge calculates to 237. Mine has 3k miles on it.

So at 0% displayed do we have approx 2-3kWh reserve. 10 miles approx ?
At 0% displayed you usually have no reserve. Most of the cars will shut down plus or minus a little bit of 0%. Do not count on any amount of "reserve tank" ever. Some people rarely get lucky with that and get a few, but that is not normal.

There is a small amount of unusable reserve, but the car shuts down with that amount left to keep the battery from being destroyed.

I am having same issue with my sr+. I only have done 2 full charges. The first one max was 235. Today is 229. My lifetime wh per mile is under 210 so you know I am driving very conservatively.

I made an appointment with Tesla. If they can’t resolve the issue then I expect to refund to a basic sr price.

I shouldn’t have to play a “what if?” game to determine a charge on the vehicle. If Tesla says 240 mile per charge then that should not mean 205, 220, or 229.

I am hoping it is a simple software glitch.

Last edited:
I made an appointment with Tesla. If they can’t resolve the issue then I expect to refund to a basic sr price.

I shouldn’t have to play a “what if?” game to determine a charge on the vehicle. If Tesla says 240 mile per charge then that should not mean 205, 220, or 229.

You are only warrantied to retain 70% of the battery capacity. (And that is only for 8 years or 100k miles.) So anything over 168 is considered "good enough".

Though we are pretty sure that Tesla has been adjusting the range calculations recently...

You are only warrantied to retain 70% of the battery capacity. (And that is only for 8 years or 100k miles.) So anything over 168 is considered "good enough".

Though we are pretty sure that Tesla has been adjusting the range calculations recently...

Pretty sure that I have a good argument since the car has only 2500 miles on it. Hoping it is a software glitch as I get much better than 240 wpm.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
My SR is at 202 miles only after 4months and 7k miles. Will probably request service if it dips below 200, but it’s definitely annoying seeing almost 20miles missing in less than 6months. I’ll try the recalibration 3x and see if that improves, but I Only managed to do one and it made things worse.

It has nothing to do with the way you drive, it
My SR is at 202 miles only after 4months and 7k miles. Will probably request service if it dips below 200, but it’s definitely annoying seeing almost 20miles missing in less than 6months. I’ll try the recalibration 3x and see if that improves, but I Only managed to do one and it made things worse.

I went to service, it's pointless, they kept my car over night, didn't do anything, they have no clue how to fix it. My opinion - it's the downgrade, so only way to fix it is a software update. I was at around 240 before downgrade and the day downgrade it's 202-204 at 100%. (2019 April SR 9000 miles)
I did deep cycle many times, didn't change anything

OP probably has a SR+ that got locked somehow. I have a similar "issue" of not getting the 220 for a SR @ 100% (more like 210 now ) but I think that has more to do with my highway driving.

I'd be curious what a lemon law judge/lawyer says about this? Laugh? Evs are relatively new to the auto laws
Do you live in Florida? This happened to a bunch of M3s in Florida the date of hurricane Dorian when they tried to bump up the range of all M3.

It has nothing to do with the way you drive, it

I went to service, it's pointless, they kept my car over night, didn't do anything, they have no clue how to fix it. My opinion - it's the downgrade, so only way to fix it is a software update. I was at around 240 before downgrade and the day downgrade it's 202-204 at 100%. (2019 April SR 9000 miles)
I did deep cycle many times, didn't change anything
Has your range problem been resolved?

I have a MR with 20k on it and with all the talk of a power boost coming I wanted to see where my range was at when fully charged. Did it Friday night and Sunday night, both mornings at 99% range read 240 miles. I normally drive on percentage so I'm not sure if this just happened worth V10 or has been dipping over the last few months.

Service ranger just replaced my display unit last week so I texted him this morning and he said not to worry because the cold weather affects it....I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.