Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 seems to be re-calculating range after adding 20” wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I was able to find before adding wheels, the car will not calculate range any differently simply because wh/mi goes up when you add larger wheels and stickier tires.

However, I added 20” Überturbines 3 days ago and I’ve driven about 150 miles so far. My car was calculating 80% range at 210 miles for the past 4,000 miles of driving. Suddenly after changing the car avatar to 20” Überturbines in the MCU, it’s dropping every time I plug it back up to the charger. It’s at 205 miles today.

Tesla says “Displayed range is based on regulating agency certification (EPA) and is not adapted based on driving pattern.” I’ve attached some EPA certifications I can find below - I’m thinking maybe once you change the wheels on the car avatar, it recalculates to try to match the tested EPA range with that size wheels?

Attachments

• 11DE4E01-E6F1-475F-957F-FA6100D7EF29.jpeg
    11DE4E01-E6F1-475F-957F-FA6100D7EF29.jpeg
    716.2 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
However, I added 20” Überturbines 3 days ago and I’ve driven about 150 miles so far. My car was calculating 80% range at 210 miles for the past 4,000 miles of driving. Suddenly after changing the car avatar to 20” Überturbines in the MCU, it’s dropping every time I plug it back up to the charger. It’s at 205 miles today.
It uses a fixed formula.

Could be anything from actual range loss from the heavier wheels/tires, battery degradation, battery balancing/fluctuation, and (I know it stays very temperate in socal but) colder temps reduce range as well.

From what I was able to find before adding wheels, the car will not calculate range any differently simply because wh/mi goes up when you add larger wheels and stickier tires.

Tesla says “Displayed range is based on regulating agency certification (EPA) and is not adapted based on driving pattern.” I’ve attached some EPA certifications I can find below - I’m thinking maybe once you change the wheels on the car avatar, it recalculates to try to match the tested EPA range with that size wheels?

Yes, its obvious that changing the wheel size in the computer changes the calculation. The car has to reboot everytime you do the change, why would it need to reboot if it's just a graphical change?

Reactions: Sam1

Looks great! What are you lowered on and how has the efficiency been with these wheels?

The car was always able to recalculate when you change wheel size.

The car was always able to recalculate when you change wheel size.
Depends what you mean.

Of course the Trip Planner has always taken wheel selection into account for all variants. It assumes higher baseline consumption the larger the wheels (it’s of course mostly the tires and the aero assumptions, not the diameter) so it can be a good idea to select 20” wheels even if you are running 18”, just to make sure you have a conservative estimate if you are worried about such things.

In terms of rated range display, only the 2020 Performance vehicle will adjust the displayed rated range according to current wheel selection, to my knowledge, because they sold them and EPA tested them in all those variants.