Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 Went Into Wackadoodle Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 Model 3 Standard Range and over the past two years have been fortunate enough to have zero issues beyond a few blank screens and no audio from the radio on a couple of occasions. However, on Saturday, my car acted up and would like to hear your thoughts.

I had about 37 miles remaining so I stopped by a super charger and when I went to grab the charger from the stall and walk towards my car depressing the button to automatically open the charging door, nothing happened. I have done this hundreds of times before, at home or at a super charger, and it has always worked. So I thought maybe the charger was not working so moved to the next stall/lane and same thing. I opened my Tesla app and hit the "unlock" charger door button and nothing. I then tried the "unlock" charger door button on my car's screen and nothing.

So I rebooted the car with the two buttons and brake and waited a couple minutes for it to come back to life. I also rebooted my iPhone. Once everything was back up, the Tesla App on my phone started giving me a "connection error" warning. So as I really needed some charge, I delicately pried the charger flap open with my fingers and it sprung open, I then inserted the charger inside and it showed up on my car's screen and started charging. But the Tesla App was still saying connection error and didn't show charging taking place.

I added enough miles to drive to my gf's house where I parked in her car port. I made the mistake of forgetting to grab my key card out of the glove compartment and instead got out with just my phone. What was weird is the car auto-locked even though it was saying connection error still. In the app, I could see some of the setting screens and such but it still had my car located back at the super charger address and it still said 37 miles even though I had added about 25 miles in range.

So then I deleted the Tesla App and re-installed and when I opened the App and typed in my info, it still said connection error and I was not able to unlock the doors. So now I was stuck. When I tried opening the door handles, the car's screen said "Use Key Card" but of course I left mine in the glove compartment. *I do have an extra one at my house. So I called Tesla RoadSide Service (first time doing this and they were very quick and nice) and after hearing her furiously type on the other end, she said she couldn't connect or "see" my car and could only offer a tow. I asked if she thought it was the beginning of a dying 12volt battery, she thought it could be. Batteries don't last too long here in Phoenix.

Not wanting to tow it, I told her I would get my other key card and see what happens. So I was planning on grabbing the other key card the next morning but in the meantime, I just kept restarting my phone and deleted the Tesla App once more. After maybe the 5th restart of my phone, and an hour or so later, I opened the Tesla App and I saw my car, the correct location, mileage and I could open the doors. I ran out to car, grabbed the key card just in case, and everything looked ok.

It's been 3 days since this experience and car seems to be working fine. So is this just a strange Tesla and/or iPhone wackadoodle experience or could it be a sign my 12volt needs replacing or ??. I did check for Tesla outages in my area and didn't see any. Thanks in advance for any replies. And ❤️ this car!

It sounds like 12v to me, based on other 12v threads. Even if you havent had any 12v error messages on screen, its about the time frame (2 ish years) that many have seen for 12v on this car.

Good news is, the 12v is cheap, even if you have to pay for it yourself. If you have errors on it, its under warranty, but even if you dont, you might consider replacing the 12v. The cost for Tesla mobile to replace the 12v in my driveway was $129 and change "out the door" (parts and labor), because I chose to have it done due to the age (2.5 years) and number of 12v threads I see here.

If you are a DIY type, the battery itself is only around $85.

I would see if you can get tesla to cover the 12v based on your experiences, and if not, consider spending the $85 to buy one if you are a DIY type, or the $129 if you ant them to come replace it in your driveway if mobile service is offered to your home (and it probably is).

It sounds like 12v to me, based on other 12v threads. Even if you havent had any 12v error messages on screen, its about the time frame (2 ish years) that many have seen for 12v on this car.

Good news is, the 12v is cheap, even if you have to pay for it yourself. If you have errors on it, its under warranty, but even if you dont, you might consider replacing the 12v. The cost for Tesla mobile to replace the 12v in my driveway was $129 and change "out the door" (parts and labor), because I chose to have it done due to the age (2.5 years) and number of 12v threads I see here.

If you are a DIY type, the battery itself is only around $85.

I would see if you can get tesla to cover the 12v based on your experiences, and if not, consider spending the $85 to buy one if you are a DIY type, or the $129 if you ant them to come replace it in your driveway if mobile service is offered to your home (and it probably is).
Thank you, that sounds like good advice and I will make a service appointment. I think it is something I could do myself but if it's only $129 for mobile service, that's a bargain and will go that route.