Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 with New Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

My name is Kayden and I was fortunate enough to get my Model 3 ahead of schedule and so far I'd have to say I'm definitely impressed with the overall design and quality. The performance in terms of acceleration is exhilarating as most of you know. There are some issues that caught my attention and I would like your feedback on them. One of them would be the closing the doors and trunk. Do you have to slam your doors shut all the time? If I were to close the door gently, it would not close properly. I'd have to open it and close it with more force. Is this normal? The other issue would be the ugly wheels. I've tried taking off the hubcaps and it didn't make much of a difference. They didn't seem to compliment the car's design.

I researched and found a few companies that made aftermarket wheels for the Model 3, although weight seems to be another issue. The lightest wheels I've found are 26 lbs which are lighter than the upgraded Tesla 19" wheels. So I went ahead and bought a set in 19x9 ET +35 mounted on Pirelli tires. Give me your thoughts.

DSC02428.JPG
DSC02431.JPG
DSC02433.JPG
20180110_165650.jpg
20180110_165705.jpg

Hello,

My name is Kayden and I was fortunate enough to get my Model 3 ahead of schedule and so far I'd have to say I'm definitely impressed with the overall design and quality. The performance in terms of acceleration is exhilarating as most of you know. There are some issues that caught my attention and I would like your feedback on them. One of them would be the closing the doors and trunk. Do you have to slam your doors shut all the time? If I were to close the door gently, it would not close properly. I'd have to open it and close it with more force. Is this normal? The other issue would be the ugly wheels. I've tried taking off the hubcaps and it didn't make much of a difference. They didn't seem to compliment the car's design.

I researched and found a few companies that made aftermarket wheels for the Model 3, although weight seems to be another issue. The lightest wheels I've found are 26 lbs which are lighter than the upgraded Tesla 19" wheels. So I went ahead and bought a set in 19x9 ET +35 mounted on Pirelli tires. Give me your thoughts.

View attachment 272387 View attachment 272389 View attachment 272390 View attachment 272402 View attachment 272403

@Kayden,

Excellent choice....Very Classy. Compliments the look. Can you give us any information on manufacturer and vendor? Thank you!

Ski

@Kayden,

Excellent choice....Very Classy. Compliments the look. Can you give us any information on manufacturer and vendor? Thank you!

Ski

I went to my local tire shop called 714 Tires to see what wheels were available for the Model 3 and they informed me that there weren't many options available since the car is still new to the market. :( Although, they recommended that I contact David at RVL Wheels since they had a few Model S and Model X cars with their custom wheels installed. So I contacted him and he was really informative about the wheel fitment and explained to me about how LIZ are true-directional wheels. He even recommended specific tires such as Pirellis because of the lower rolling resistance which would help on the range! I would have to say that he has good customer service and upon my interest, he ended up giving me a really good discount on my order. :)

I'm glad I didn't purchase the upgraded wheels because now I have two sets of wheels with tires and I can easily switch them off whenever I need fresh tires or I can use them as seasonal wheels for winter or summer. You can't beat having two sets of wheels with tires for the price of one. :D

If anyone wants to purchase a set of wheels, definitely contact David at [email protected]
He gave me a great discount and I'm sure he'd give you one too. If anything, tell him Kayden got a good deal so you should too! If anyone wants more pictures of the wheels or have any questions, just ask and I'll do my best to keep you updated. Aside from that, thank you, everyone, for the great feedback! :)

Very nice wheels. Yes my drivers side hard to get closed. 50% of the time it shuts. Passenger doors not so bad. Trunk has to be slammed as well. Was told at delivery about trunk. The NN in the bushings for the door are hard at work now. Triggered to react at the latest TMC feedback:p:p

I kept wondering why the doors wouldn't close. I didn't like the idea of slamming the doors, but I guess its normal for now :D

The frunk on my X was hard to close for a month or so. After the seals compressed a little it became easier to close.

Same thing with my stereo. Sounded OK at first, but after a month or so it seemed to provide even more bass. Guess the cones break in after use.

I really like you car and wheels. I admire your locale too. I lived in 90274 for a decade.
My first and only experience with theft happened there when the mirrors on my brand new Porsche were stolen in the Admiral Risty parking lot. Protect your wheels!