TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

My Model 3's AutoPilot tried to KILL me! (NEARLY)

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by BaileyMc, Jul 16, 2018.

1. BaileyMc

BaileyMc Member

Sorry for the clickbaity title (Obviously only kidding) but it just goes to show you we have to pay attention when using autopilot.

• Disagree x 5
  2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Don’t think the AP was at fault...if you use in situations where not relevant I would blame the user ..and yah this is a troll title

• Like x 3
  3. AviP

AviP Member

Plus what he said at the end of the video, it is BetaPilot!

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

AP is highly reliable if used properly ...I’m sure I can make use cases where it can “try to kill me” ...if intent of this video and post is to help users maybe a title of “AP has narrow field of vision ..” or something along those lines ...

5. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Member

I didn't know it was suppose to work with cross traffic?

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. PessimiStick

PessimiStick Member

So you used AP in a situation it's not designed to handle and it didn't handle it. In other news, water is wet, and fire is hot.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. BaileyMc

BaileyMc Member

I know autopilot isn’t designed for this. I clearly knew it wouldn’t work. What the purpose of the video was for was to educate others and bring it to their attention that as good as autopilot is, it’s not perfect and we shouldn’t rely on it fully without paying full attention. There’s many people out there that think it should drive for us. I’m just showing that we can’t depend on it.

8. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

How about making a more relevant title for this thread than if your intent was to “educate.”

• Like x 1
  9. BaileyMc

BaileyMc Member

Like I said in the original post I was kidding. The title was tongue in cheek, the video was meant to be educational.

10. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Hopefully the driver you pissed off knew it was all for a good cause. :p

11. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

Eh, that's nothing new. Mine does that all the time. It even tried to drive me onto train tracks the first time my wife rode in my 3. (was driving straight when it suddenly decided to steer left onto the train tracks)

12. rodrego

rodrego Member

Autopilot is a driver assist feature specifically designed to be used on divided highways. I think you are confusing autopilot with the currently unreleased full self-driving (FSD) which hypothetically would be able to navigate this situation.

• Like x 3