Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S 75D Experience 2 Weeks In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla Experience 2 weeks in
So I picked up my Tesla Model S 75Dd from Fremont 16 days ago and these are just some things I’ve noticed or experienced
1-Delivery was ok, except for one rushed employee, not the way you want to experience delivery on a premium car

2-Auto-Pilot has failed to be available on two separate drives and no amount of resets have been able to get it back, it just seems to come back when it’s ready

3-Cuise Control has failed to be available more than once, when this happens the display shows no lanes or other cars on the road

4-Supercharging speeds are no where as advertised, I’ve seen a couple charges above 90kw but most hover around the 50kw range(I live in an apartment building so supercharging is more common for me) Starting to worry Tesla is throttling my charging already. Car has over 1700 miles on it already

5-Car is super smooth & comfortable

6-Car has a very strange low rumbling noise at times(service appointment scheduled to investigate)

7-USB Chargers in car are very slow compared to my Mercedes, I now carry a portable battery pack in car for charging

8-Wind noise is a lot louder than I would have expected for a car in this price point

9-First update appeared yesterday turning on AEB, etc. It said it would take a hour and forty minutes, it finished in about 30 minutes!!

10-Navigation map has frozen twice and it took at least two resets to get it back on track

11-I worry about range more than I thought I would, if I had to do it again I would have gotten the 100D

Despite some of the bad, still love the car and rooting strong for Tesla

4-Supercharging speeds are no where as advertised, I’ve seen a couple charges above 90kw but most hover around the 50kw range(I live in an apartment building so supercharging is more common for me) Starting to worry Tesla is throttling my charging already. Car has over 1700 miles on it already
You need to do some more research on this. It is explained well throughout this forum and the internet. Your speed is not constant throughout the whole charge time. The speed of charge at any given minute depends on many things including but not limited to your state of charge upon arrival, charging set point, temperature of battery, temperature of supercharger (based on high usage or climate), whether you're sharing a paired stall, and more.

Also worth noting that the 75 packs are nominally 350V (vs 400V on the 85/90/100 packs). This has a huge impact on supercharging speeds; generally means you’ll never go above 100kW on your 75 (where the larger packs can do up to 120kW).

The superchargers are limited to 300A. So, at 400V, this is a theoretical max of 120kW. At 350V, the theoretical max is 105kW. Most I have ever seen on my display is 98kW.

And yes, the higher the SoC, the lower the speed (is also temperature dependedant).

On the plus side, you don’t have to worry much about sharing a 135kW supercharger with another car; it will have a much smaller impact on your charging speeds.

I am a little sad Tesla wasn’t much more forthcoming with this data and I didn’t learn this until after I bought my 60 (now 75)... I would definitely have bought a larger pack had I known- not for the range, but for the supercharging speed!

Welcome to the Tesla world. I had purchased a 75D back in april and had similar experiences. Here are my 2 cents:

1 - Having purchased a second Tesla, I would say that the delivery experience shown in some online videos is nowhere close to what I have experienced nor some of my friends who have purchased a Tesla. Then again, the experience of other luxury brands isn't that much different

2 - Autopilot - You will have higher expectations of what "autopilot" is due to its advertisement. Its nothing more currently than a better driving suite offered by other car companies.

4 - Supercharging will definitely be nowhere close to advertised. For my 75D, my average speed was about 65-70KW. Rarely did I get to the 90s. Compared to my new 100D Model X, I still don't get the advertised rate. There are too many variables to accurately predict how fast you should be charging.

7 - I have no idea why they put in such anemic chargers in the car. Maybe to minimize battery drain from a lot of devices being plugged in? But a 12V USB charger can help with that

8 - For a car that expensive, noise dampening is clearly something that wasn't the focus for the company. Other companies do this well in this price point. Tesla is not one of them

9 - Updates are done faster than advertised to allow you to not anticipate being done at a certain time IMO

10 - Agree with range issue. I was charging more often and in hindsight wished I had purchased the 100D Model S. Ultimately this lead me to trading in my S for the X for higher range (but the 339miles is much better than 295).

I still loved my S more than my X and miss it a lot but for a family, the X is better suited with the space and more range compared to 75D

Also worth noting that the 75 packs are nominally 350V (vs 400V on the 85/90/100 packs). This has a huge impact on supercharging speeds; generally means you’ll never go above 100kW on your 75 (where the larger packs can do up to 120kW).

The superchargers are limited to 300A. So, at 400V, this is a theoretical max of 120kW. At 350V, the theoretical max is 105kW. Most I have ever seen on my display is 98kW.

And yes, the higher the SoC, the lower the speed (is also temperature dependedant).

On the plus side, you don’t have to worry much about sharing a 135kW supercharger with another car; it will have a much smaller impact on your charging speeds.

I am a little sad Tesla wasn’t much more forthcoming with this data and I didn’t learn this until after I bought my 60 (now 75)... I would definitely have bought a larger pack had I known- not for the range, but for the supercharging speed!

Don't the new 75 cars actually have an 85KW battery where there software limited to 75?

Or maybe I read that in some dream.

6-Car has a very strange low rumbling noise at times(service appointment scheduled to investigate)

I got my S75D about 2 months ago. For the first few weeks I kept hearing and feeling a low vibration coming from the front of the car at random times. It was really driving me nuts and was thinking of scheduling a service appointment to try to find out what it was. Then I figured it out. It was the lane departure warning vibrating. Once I turned that off that annoying vibration went away. Maybe this could be your issue too?

I got my S75D about 2 months ago. For the first few weeks I kept hearing and feeling a low vibration coming from the front of the car at random times. It was really driving me nuts and was thinking of scheduling a service appointment to try to find out what it was. Then I figured it out. It was the lane departure warning vibrating. Once I turned that off that annoying vibration went away. Maybe this could be your issue too?

I can also feel and hear the A/C compressor kick on and off when I'm stopped. Could be that as well. I couldn't stand the Lane Departure Warning either, so I turned it off. I feel it holds us to a higher standard than even than EAP can currently manage. lol.

You need to do some more research on this. It is explained well throughout this forum and the internet. Your speed is not constant throughout the whole charge time. The speed of charge at any given minute depends on many things including but not limited to your state of charge upon arrival, charging set point, temperature of battery, temperature of supercharger (based on high usage or climate), whether you're sharing a paired stall, and more.

Is there any way to find the variables that translates to this slow charging (i.e any logged information in the Car or the SC) ? is this something tesla service can provide? I have never been able to get more than 79kw of charging this includes a SC station with no cars. Planning to create a Service request during my next visit.

So I picked up my Tesla Model S 75Dd from Fremont 16 days ago and these are just some things I’ve noticed or experienced
1-Delivery was ok, except for one rushed employee, not the way you want to experience delivery on a premium car

2-Auto-Pilot has failed to be available on two separate drives and no amount of resets have been able to get it back, it just seems to come back when it’s ready

3-Cuise Control has failed to be available more than once, when this happens the display shows no lanes or other cars on the road

5-Car is super smooth & comfortable

7-USB Chargers in car are very slow compared to my Mercedes, I now carry a portable battery pack in car for charging

8-Wind noise is a lot louder than I would have expected for a car in this price point

9-First update appeared yesterday turning on AEB, etc. It said it would take a hour and forty minutes, it finished in about 30 minutes!!

10-Navigation map has frozen twice and it took at least two resets to get it back on track

11-I worry about range more than I thought I would, if I had to do it again I would have gotten the 100D

Despite some of the bad, still love the car and rooting strong for Tesla

Did you get the service agreement

I can also feel and hear the A/C compressor kick on and off when I'm stopped. Could be that as well. I couldn't stand the Lane Departure Warning either, so I turned it off. I feel it holds us to a higher standard than even than EAP can currently manage. lol.

No unfortunately it's not that, as it occurs sometimes while the vehicle is standing still, and it's a very different feeling than lane departure warning.

If you have PUP, use the USB port on the left (where the phone dock dongle cable is connected).

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the family!

That's the one I use as I have the iPhone dock. I ordered a high powered cigarette lighter usb charger today

Have had my 75D for about the same amount of time.

I supercharged once and it hung at 90+kw the whole time (see attached photos). I was impressed by how quickly it filled up.

Got questions about your #6 and #8. I have noticed that when all windows are closed and I am driving, particularly at low speed, there is a buffeting sound that is really annoying. It's similar to how, in other cars, you'd get the chopping/buffeting sound when only one window is open and you have to open another to get rid of it. has anyone else experienced that? Is this similar to what you experience on 6 or 8?

IMG_9362.jpg
IMG_9363.jpg

I supercharged once and it hung at 90+kw the whole time (see attached photos). I was impressed by how quickly it filled up.

Got questions about your #6 and #8. I have noticed that when all windows are closed and I am driving, particularly at low speed, there is a buffeting sound that is really annoying. It's similar to how, in other cars, you'd get the chopping/buffeting sound when only one window is open and you have to open another to get rid of it. has anyone else experienced that? Is this similar to what you experience on 6 or 8?

View attachment 254156 View attachment 254157
Great speeds, I definitely do not get those regularly. Today it did spike to 90kw but I left the car while we shopped, when I returned and it was nearly fully charged it went down t about 30kw or less so I can't really comment on what happened when I left.

I know the noise you speak off and it's not that, that would be annoying. It's just the kind of noise you would expect out of a $30k car, not horrible but louder than what you'd expect from this price point. I know I'm not the first to complain about this one.

View attachment 254156 View attachment 254157
Yes I get the same window/helicopter noise until I crack a second window to balance out the air flow. But my previous 4Runner also did the same thing.

Interesting! Is this something you've heard others complain about? I've never had it on any car I've owned (coincidently, one of which was a 4Runner :) )

All cars resonate with only one window open (air collides with air). Unless your other cars had poor air sealing (and the air coming in the window was able to escape from a different hole/window.

As far as Supercharging speeds, the other posters explained that. You will average a certain speed and there are many factors. You'll learn if you care to otherwise it will always be a frustrating mystery. If you ever take long road trips, do read up as it makes a huge difference (I am able to choose with Superchargers to skip and which to go to (I ignore nav as its way too conservative). I also will sit at a supercharger only until I am comfortable I have enough juice to move on. The last bit of charging (beyond 86% SoC) is really slow, so don't bother. You can always charge again (and it will be far more efficient with your time) to charge when SoC is between 10% and 80%.

USB ports suck. Yes, they do. The "premium" dock is also horrible and useless.

EAP isn't enhanced but its damn useful. It will get better, only question is when. Tesla has been operating for months with radio silence after months of lies about parity.

I believe the wind noise isn't any worse than most cars but you hear it more with the BEV drive train. Though my $31k (20k after incentives) LEAF was quieter (but inferior in most other ways). Just drive the car like you own it and you won't care.