Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S 85D Story. Ordering to Delivery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thursday March 21, 2019, 2:00AM (Central Time)

After spending weeks searching for a CPO and even missing some in a matter of minutes (they disappeared as I was completing my deposit information) I finally found a car I really liked, low mileage and in my price range. I was able to complete my payment information and success, my deposit was accepted. In a few seconds, my car was no longer showing in the list of available used cars.

March 21, 2019, 11:00AM

I was so hyped up, I was buying my first Tesla, I could not sleep that night. Stayed up reading TMC Forum posts, reading any information I could find on the S85D. Looked at lots of YouTube videos and enjoyed seeing the stories of so many road trips.

I got an email saying to log in to the Tesla site and sign in to complete information like driver’s license, insurance, trade or not, finance, etc. Went through everything, uploaded the required documents and saved everything. Now the wait began.

Friday March 22, 2019, Saturday March 23 & Sunday March 24, 2019

No news from Tesla.

Monday March 25, 2019 12:25PM

Received a call from Alex, Farinha, a sales advisor I had spoken several days before, when I inquired details on another car, and gave him details of what I was searching for. He said he would do some research and would get back to me. He never contacted me.

But here he was calling me to follow up on my deposit on line. We talked and he said he would prepare the MVPA for me that afternoon. We said good bye and the MVPA didn’t come. I never heard from him again!

Tuesday March 26, 2019

No news from Tesla. Tried to call the sales advisor but no answer. Ever time I called Alex I was unable to leave a voice mail as his mailbox was full.

Wednesday March 27, 2019, 12:35PM

Received an email from Dave McBride, an Internal Delivery Advisor. Here is part for the email…

I will be in charge of scheduling your appointment to pick up your new Tesla and helping you with anything that comes up between now and then.

We have requested to move and have your car prepared into our San Diero Delivery Center but it is not ready yet. This is not unusual as we store all our pre-owned inventory in offsite lots. I will monitor the status and once I have a better idea of its arrival date we can pick your delivery appointment.

He also included an offer for my trade in. The offer was $1,300 less than what CarMax had offer. I called him and he answered! He was very nice and after I mentioned the CarMax offer, he said they would match it. I was encouraged, even though the retail value of the car was $3,500 more. I uploaded the CarMax offer to my account.

In our conversation he stated that Tesla requires Trade In’s are returned the same day as delivery. That was going to be a problem. See I am in Dallas, and to save the $2,000 transfer fee to ship the car from San Diego to Dallas, I told them I would pick the car in San Diego. As I thought about it, dropping my car in Dallas in the morning, try to catch a noon flight to San Diego and then make it to the Delivery Center, was more than I could handle. I’ve seen too many flights delayed or cancelled in my time. I asked if he could find if Tesla would allow me returning the car in Dallas the day before, then I could fly to San Diego and pick up my CPO the next day. He agreed to get back to me.

No answer that afternoon.

Thursday March 28, ,2019

No news from Tesla.

Friday March 29, 2019, 4:01PM

I received and email from Dave with my MVPA without a trade in. Tesla would not make an exception on the same day trade in return policy. I thought about driving my trade to San Diego, but then realized, it did not make sense. Adding 1,300 miles to the odometer, gasoline, 2 hotel nights, and meals, it was not worth the $500+ it would save in sales tax.

So I called him, accepted the MVPA then delivered it to my Credit Union, where I was financing part of the car. After completing my finance at the credit union, I got a cashier’s check made to Tesla. Made a copy and uploaded to my Tesla account. Decided we would keep my trade in and my wife would drive it.

Saturday March 30, 2019

No news from Tesla.

Running out of patience, not knowing anything about the car, I called the 800 number and spoke with Alisia, a sales advisor who was very nice. She looked for the car and it seemed to be in a location north of San Diego. She contacted someone in the San Diego Delivery Center and they said the car was not there, and CPO deliveries are done Wednesdays to Saturdays. I appeared the delivery center was really busy trying to get cars delivered before the EOQ.

She said she was going to contact them again on Sunday and get back to me.

Sunday March 31, 2019, 4PM

She kept her word! Alisia did answer my text on Sunday! She told me the cars are brought to the delivery center the day before or even the same day of delivery. She also said that the Internal Delivery Advisor that sent me the MVPA would contact me tomorrow, Monday April 1st(oh no, April fools day). If he did not, to please let her know.

Now I wait!

I have no idea if the cars get the 70 point inspection at the off-site before they are sold, or do they do it when they are sold.

Monday April 1st, 2019, 10:30AM

Dave called me with the good news, they were ready to schedule my delivery. San Diego Delivery Center had an opening for Wednesday, April 3rd. They initially offered me 10:30AM, but since I was flying that morning in the first flight at 7AM, I asked if it could be done a little later, in the event our flight was delayed. It was no problem and I was to pick up my dream car at 12:30PM! What a great feeling!!!

Wednesday, April 3rd, 2019

Needless to say, I hardly slept 2 hours the night before. We had reserved an Uber at 5AM and they dropped us at the airport by 5:35AM. We checked in quickly, and our flight was on time, actually arriving in San Diego a few minutes early!

We took an Uber to San Diego Delivery Center and arrived at 9:05AM. They were still not opened. Around 9:15AM Colton arrived and saw us outside with our bags, and kindly asked us to come in, sit down and have some coffee while they got the center opened. Within 15 minutes he came back and ask for our credentials and what time was my appointment. I told him it was for 12:30PM. He said no problem and he would start my delivery process. About 20 minutes later he came back out and we started signing the delivery paperwork. I handed him my FedEx letter I had received the day before. Another 15 minutes later he came to tell us they had completed the safety inspection of the car and it would take about another hour for them to detail the car. What an incredible feeling to know the dream was about to come true!

Around 11:30AM Colton came back and said your car is outside waiting for you to view it and inspect it. WOW! What an incredible moment that was for me. The car looked spectacular, just as if it was brand new! The color was fantastic, it is the original Pacifico Blue Metallic and it looks spectacular!!!

TESLA Forum-2.jpg

TESLA Forum-4.jpg

The interiors are like new, which isn’t surprising as the car only had 12,004 miles! The outside has a small dent in the hood, which could not be seen unless you looked very carefully. I had not seen the dent in any of the photos they sent, but Colton said it could be seen in one of the photos they sent me. There is also a small door ding in the front driver side fender. But really, I thought nothing a good paintless dent repair guy could fix. So we took delivery of our wonderful 2015 Model S 85D, with Pano roof, SubZero package, premium sound, Obeche Wood interior, Tech Package, and NextGen seats.

The delivery process was excellent. I was allowed time to review the car, ask questions, Colton gave me a quick tutorial and was ready to provide answers to my questions. Colton answered all my questions during the delivery and after delivery via email. Fantastic experience! The San Diego Delivery Team did a fantastic job.

After Delivery, we headed north to visit relatives in Santa Clarita, then Palmdale. After spending the weekend in California, we started our drive to Dallas on i-40, making a stop at Flagstaff, from where we got a chance to see the Grand Canyon. The next day we drove non stop to Dallas. Longest charge was at Childress, Texas, as the next supercharger was 229 miles. We charged Lazuli to 95% and made it to Southlake Supercharger with 39 miles to go.

TESLA Forum-10.jpg

Since then I had the windows tinted with Autobahn Ceramic I3 at Glacier Window Tinting in Arlington, Texas. Excellent service, superb job by Mark, the owner, and his team.
TESLA Forum-97.jpg

While in California, on 2 occasions, the Autopilot services were not available. When I called support was told the car had just received an update and it was ready to install. I left the update working during the night and the issue disappeared in the morning. It happened again a couple of days later, on Sunday. When I woke up Monday, the message had disappeared. The issue has not surfaced again. I am taking it to the Plano Service Center where they are going to inspect the car and also see if there are any pending recalls that need to be addressed. So far everyone in San Diego and Dallas have been extremely eager to help and assist. So glad to be part of this family now.

Attachments

• TESLA Forum-2.jpg
    TESLA Forum-2.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 118
  • TESLA Forum-4.jpg
    TESLA Forum-4.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 77
  • TESLA Forum-5.jpg
    TESLA Forum-5.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 77
  • TESLA Forum-30.jpg
    TESLA Forum-30.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 71
  • TESLA Forum-37.jpg
    TESLA Forum-37.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 74
  • TESLA Forum-44.jpg
    TESLA Forum-44.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 73
Thursday March 21, 2019, 2:00AM (Central Time)

After spending weeks searching for a CPO and even missing some in a matter of minutes (they disappeared as I was completing my deposit information) I finally found a car I really liked, low mileage and in my price range. I was able to complete my payment information and success, my deposit was accepted. In a few seconds, my car was no longer showing in the list of available used cars.

March 21, 2019, 11:00AM

I was so hyped up, I was buying my first Tesla, I could not sleep that night. Stayed up reading TMC Forum posts, reading any information I could find on the S85D. Looked at lots of YouTube videos and enjoyed seeing the stories of so many road trips.

I got an email saying to log in to the Tesla site and sign in to complete information like driver’s license, insurance, trade or not, finance, etc. Went through everything, uploaded the required documents and saved everything. Now the wait began.

Friday March 22, 2019, Saturday March 23 & Sunday March 24, 2019

No news from Tesla.

Monday March 25, 2019 12:25PM

Received a call from Alex, Farinha, a sales advisor I had spoken several days before, when I inquired details on another car, and gave him details of what I was searching for. He said he would do some research and would get back to me. He never contacted me.

But here he was calling me to follow up on my deposit on line. We talked and he said he would prepare the MVPA for me that afternoon. We said good bye and the MVPA didn’t come. I never heard from him again!

Tuesday March 26, 2019

No news from Tesla. Tried to call the sales advisor but no answer. Ever time I called Alex I was unable to leave a voice mail as his mailbox was full.

Wednesday March 27, 2019, 12:35PM

Received an email from Dave McBride, an Internal Delivery Advisor. Here is part for the email…

I will be in charge of scheduling your appointment to pick up your new Tesla and helping you with anything that comes up between now and then.

We have requested to move and have your car prepared into our San Diero Delivery Center but it is not ready yet. This is not unusual as we store all our pre-owned inventory in offsite lots. I will monitor the status and once I have a better idea of its arrival date we can pick your delivery appointment.

He also included an offer for my trade in. The offer was $1,300 less than what CarMax had offer. I called him and he answered! He was very nice and after I mentioned the CarMax offer, he said they would match it. I was encouraged, even though the retail value of the car was $3,500 more. I uploaded the CarMax offer to my account.

In our conversation he stated that Tesla requires Trade In’s are returned the same day as delivery. That was going to be a problem. See I am in Dallas, and to save the $2,000 transfer fee to ship the car from San Diego to Dallas, I told them I would pick the car in San Diego. As I thought about it, dropping my car in Dallas in the morning, try to catch a noon flight to San Diego and then make it to the Delivery Center, was more than I could handle. I’ve seen too many flights delayed or cancelled in my time. I asked if he could find if Tesla would allow me returning the car in Dallas the day before, then I could fly to San Diego and pick up my CPO the next day. He agreed to get back to me.

No answer that afternoon.

Thursday March 28, ,2019

No news from Tesla.

Friday March 29, 2019, 4:01PM

I received and email from Dave with my MVPA without a trade in. Tesla would not make an exception on the same day trade in return policy. I thought about driving my trade to San Diego, but then realized, it did not make sense. Adding 1,300 miles to the odometer, gasoline, 2 hotel nights, and meals, it was not worth the $500+ it would save in sales tax.

So I called him, accepted the MVPA then delivered it to my Credit Union, where I was financing part of the car. After completing my finance at the credit union, I got a cashier’s check made to Tesla. Made a copy and uploaded to my Tesla account. Decided we would keep my trade in and my wife would drive it.

Saturday March 30, 2019

No news from Tesla.

Running out of patience, not knowing anything about the car, I called the 800 number and spoke with Alisia, a sales advisor who was very nice. She looked for the car and it seemed to be in a location north of San Diego. She contacted someone in the San Diego Delivery Center and they said the car was not there, and CPO deliveries are done Wednesdays to Saturdays. I appeared the delivery center was really busy trying to get cars delivered before the EOQ.

She said she was going to contact them again on Sunday and get back to me.

Sunday March 31, 2019, 4PM

She kept her word! Alisia did answer my text on Sunday! She told me the cars are brought to the delivery center the day before or even the same day of delivery. She also said that the Internal Delivery Advisor that sent me the MVPA would contact me tomorrow, Monday April 1st(oh no, April fools day). If he did not, to please let her know.

Now I wait!

I have no idea if the cars get the 70 point inspection at the off-site before they are sold, or do they do it when they are sold.

Monday April 1st, 2019, 10:30AM

Dave called me with the good news, they were ready to schedule my delivery. San Diego Delivery Center had an opening for Wednesday, April 3rd. They initially offered me 10:30AM, but since I was flying that morning in the first flight at 7AM, I asked if it could be done a little later, in the event our flight was delayed. It was no problem and I was to pick up my dream car at 12:30PM! What a great feeling!!!

Wednesday, April 3rd, 2019

Needless to say, I hardly slept 2 hours the night before. We had reserved an Uber at 5AM and they dropped us at the airport by 5:35AM. We checked in quickly, and our flight was on time, actually arriving in San Diego a few minutes early!

We took an Uber to San Diego Delivery Center and arrived at 9:05AM. They were still not opened. Around 9:15AM Colton arrived and saw us outside with our bags, and kindly asked us to come in, sit down and have some coffee while they got the center opened. Within 15 minutes he came back and ask for our credentials and what time was my appointment. I told him it was for 12:30PM. He said no problem and he would start my delivery process. About 20 minutes later he came back out and we started signing the delivery paperwork. I handed him my FedEx letter I had received the day before. Another 15 minutes later he came to tell us they had completed the safety inspection of the car and it would take about another hour for them to detail the car. What an incredible feeling to know the dream was about to come true!

Around 11:30AM Colton came back and said your car is outside waiting for you to view it and inspect it. WOW! What an incredible moment that was for me. The car looked spectacular, just as if it was brand new! The color was fantastic, it is the original Pacifico Blue Metallic and it looks spectacular!!!

View attachment 398064

View attachment 398065

The interiors are like new, which isn’t surprising as the car only had 12,004 miles! The outside has a small dent in the hood, which could not be seen unless you looked very carefully. I had not seen the dent in any of the photos they sent, but Colton said it could be seen in one of the photos they sent me. There is also a small door ding in the front driver side fender. But really, I thought nothing a good paintless dent repair guy could fix. So we took delivery of our wonderful 2015 Model S 85D, with Pano roof, SubZero package, premium sound, Obeche Wood interior, Tech Package, and NextGen seats.

The delivery process was excellent. I was allowed time to review the car, ask questions, Colton gave me a quick tutorial and was ready to provide answers to my questions. Colton answered all my questions during the delivery and after delivery via email. Fantastic experience! The San Diego Delivery Team did a fantastic job.

After Delivery, we headed north to visit relatives in Santa Clarita, then Palmdale. After spending the weekend in California, we started our drive to Dallas on i-40, making a stop at Flagstaff, from where we got a chance to see the Grand Canyon. The next day we drove non stop to Dallas. Longest charge was at Childress, Texas, as the next supercharger was 229 miles. We charged Lazuli to 95% and made it to Southlake Supercharger with 39 miles to go.

View attachment 398059

Since then I had the windows tinted with Autobahn Ceramic I3 at Glacier Window Tinting in Arlington, Texas. Excellent service, superb job by Mark, the owner, and his team.
View attachment 398062

While in California, on 2 occasions, the Autopilot services were not available. When I called support was told the car had just received an update and it was ready to install. I left the update working during the night and the issue disappeared in the morning. It happened again a couple of days later, on Sunday. When I woke up Monday, the message had disappeared. The issue has not surfaced again. I am taking it to the Plano Service Center where they are going to inspect the car and also see if there are any pending recalls that need to be addressed. So far everyone in San Diego and Dallas have been extremely eager to help and assist. So glad to be part of this family now.

Glad your experience went well - car looks beautiful. I just ordered a 2015 Model S 85D (5/1) and my advisor is David McBride. I’m having a hard time reaching him via email (no response and it’s been 5 business days, 3 emails sent) so would you mind sharing his phone number?

Reactions: rafacq
Glad your experience went well - car looks beautiful. I just ordered a 2015 Model S 85D (5/1) and my advisor is David McBride. I’m having a hard time reaching him via email (no response and it’s been 5 business days, 3 emails sent) so would you mind sharing his phone number?

Is David your Sales Advisor? He wasn’t my Sales Advisor. I believe David is out of the office, possibly vacation. Call the main 800 number or do a chat online. The lady who answered my chat was very helpful and followed up with me even after delivery.

rafacq,

Can you confirm, being that you are located in Texas and purchased/picked up in California, did you have to deal with the double tax issue in California?

I've read that you don't get double taxed, but then a friend of mine inquired thru Tesla used, and was told he would be double taxed, being in Texas and picking up in California.

Since you recently purchased, just thought I'd ask...

Thanks,
- Zishan

Zishan,

Yes, I live in the Dallas area. I flew to San Diego to take delivery of my S85D, thus had to pay California Sales Tax (1% higher than Texas). This is how it is reflected in my Tesla Purchase Agreement (MVPA). I was not charged TX Sales Tax as I did not purchase the car in Texas. California grants a special permit to drive the car out of California. The car is being registered in Texas and thus had to pay Texas registration fees (included in the MVPA).

Before I purchased the car, I joined the North Texas Tesla Owner’s Group in Facebook. Several member’s were very helpful.

Reactions: Zishan
rafacq,

Can you confirm, being that you are located in Texas and purchased/picked up in California, did you have to deal with the double tax issue in California?

I've read that you don't get double taxed, but then a friend of mine inquired thru Tesla used, and was told he would be double taxed, being in Texas and picking up in California.

Since you recently purchased, just thought I'd ask...

Thanks,
- Zishan

I have more information on the subject of taking delivery of a Tesla if you are a resident of Texas.

Many states will waive sales tax if you are not registering their state. California is not one of them. If you pick up the car in CA, I verified this with the CA Tax Office, the state of California requires you pay sales tax in California! Even if you are NOT registering the car in CA. The Tesla Delivery Center in Ca provided me a 3 day permit to drive the car out of CA.

After 2 1/2 months, my car was finally registered in Texas. I called the lady that registered my car in Tarrant County Tax office and she told me, the state of Texas does waive the Texas Sales/Use Tax if you can provide evidence there was a California Sales Tax paid. California will provide verification of Tax paid to California. There is a website, but it is down, so you have to email them. I sent my information, date of sale, dealer, Brand, Model, VIN# and copy of my Tesla Purchase agreement to [email protected]. I received a response the same day saying they had forwarded the request to the DMV Verification group.

So the answer is NO, you do not pay double sales tax. But California does have a higher sales tax than TX. 1% higher.

• Informative
Reactions: Zishan
Thanks for the answers. As of yesterday I've placed a deposit on my used Model S which is located out of Fremont. I plan on picking up and driving back to Houston. I'll start my own thread to document my journey, hopefully a smooth one.

Thanks again,
-Zishan

• Love
Thanks for the answers. As of yesterday I've placed a deposit on my used Model S which is located out of Fremont. I plan on picking up and driving back to Houston. I'll start my own thread to document my journey, hopefully a smooth one.

Thanks again,
-Zishan

Congratulations! What year model S and battery did you buy? New or used? Love to hear details!

Ended up with a Midnight Silver 2016.5 (refreshed) Model S, P90DL that was loaded out including 3rd row/rear facing seats, which my 2 boys will love. Very excited! Been in love the Model S since 2012!

Excellent! Congratulations. Post photos when you are able. Hope everything goes really smooth. Were you able to place your order before they did away with the free supercharging?