Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S 85D Story. Ordering to Delivery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SImple test, take out the adapter from the mobile connector and see if the J1772 fits. I read somewhere on the forum that they don't give out NEMA adapters at all. They are $35-$50 a piece on tesla site or check ebay. I have been testing the "vampire drain" since its been a holiday. I haven't driven or charged the care since Friday and its losing 2-3 miles/day.

Depending on the version of the UMC (mobile charger) included in your car, you may get the NEMA-14-50 or you will not. If you get the older style UMC (round bag), there should be both 110v and 240v adapters present. If you get the newer style (square bag), you will only get the 110v adapter.

The J1772 adapter should be present regardless and I don't believe there is a difference between them.

When my first pre-facelift Model S was totaled in an accident, the UMC *cough* may have wound up in my possession before the car was sent to auction. I can confirm both UMCs will charge my 2019.

• Helpful
Reactions: cucubits
Since I'm going alone, I've been working on a more efficient checklist based on what's around the internet, common sense and what's worth checking specifically in my case. Most of the checks are indeed warranty fixable but there are a few which would instantly disqualify this is make me refuse delivery (potential huge battery degradation is one of them).

If they made me wait for a month, I'm sure I can get them to let me go through the car for an hour before signing anything.

Have I missed anything major/obvious? Any input is appreciated.

checklist.jpg

Reactions: rafacq
How can I tell which is gen1 and 2? I'm assuming there won't be a way to test charging with this adapter at the service center. This is 2016 facelift S, if it helps identify which is needed.

Also, besides the mobile connector and this J1772, are they supposed to give me some of the regular Nema adapters? Is there a list somewhere with what's supposed to be included with the car?

Yes, I did receive the NEMA 14-50 adapter for the mobile charger. It’s no longer included in new cars, but a 2016 came with it.

Since I'm going alone, I've been working on a more efficient checklist based on what's around the internet, common sense and what's worth checking specifically in my case. Most of the checks are indeed warranty fixable but there are a few which would instantly disqualify this is make me refuse delivery (potential huge battery degradation is one of them).

If they made me wait for a month, I'm sure I can get them to let me go through the car for an hour before signing anything.

Have I missed anything major/obvious? Any input is appreciated.

View attachment 484292

You can also add 2 FOBS, make sure both work. Also have your phone app installed and make sure they pair the car to it.

Here are a few more items to check:
Driver's side seat to see if it has any play/rock to it while sitting in it
MCU to see if yellow border is present (need to do this outside in the sun)
Make sure tow hook is present

Fight the euphoria you will be feeling and take your time to go through your list. The service center may try to rush you out but don't be pressured.

Fight the euphoria you will be feeling and take your time to go through your list. The service center may try to rush you out but don't be pressured.

Thank you! I'm sure they will do just that. They called me yesterday to confirm my appointment and the guy on the phone said... wait for it... "we'll just sign some papers and you'll be on your way in 20 minutes".

Nope, I'm checking everything I can.

Reactions: rafacq
:D Can't. Stop. Smiling!

This thing is awesome! Feels like brand new and it's quite high mileage at 40k. Very clean inside/out (I will go though a thorough detailing myself too). Everything went fine. The guy at the service center was relaxed, showed me everything, answered all questions and was patient for me to go though everything on my checklist. Got all the adapters, including the 14-50 as mentioned being included with older cars and the tow hook. Both keys with the little keychain rubber work fine.
Having the payment already done before, after I was satisfied with all the checks, I signed one paper and left with the car. No rattles, no strange noises from either motor.

Only thing worth noting is that, as expected, both headlights have the DRLs going bad. A mobile tech will change both. No biggie.

The main thing I was really worried about, the battery, is perfectly fine. At 90% it was showing 223 miles which means 100% should be around 247. For over 40k miles that's great news!

I'll be back with more pics soon. I need to relax for a sec now :)

Quite a tight fit in the garage compared to our Beetle but that was expected.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

Congrats! Curious why you didn't want pano roof? I don't open mine much, but I like it.

I didn't have a strong preference either for or against a pano roof but one of the main reasons for getting an S over a 3 is ride quality and cabin noise. Having no pano roof helps a bit with noise and it's one less thing that can rattle or leak.

:D Can't. Stop. Smiling!

This thing is awesome! Feels like brand new and it's quite high mileage at 40k. Very clean inside/out (I will go though a thorough detailing myself too). Everything went fine. The guy at the service center was relaxed, showed me everything, answered all questions and was patient for me to go though everything on my checklist. Got all the adapters, including the 14-50 as mentioned being included with older cars and the tow hook. Both keys with the little keychain rubber work fine.
Having the payment already done before, after I was satisfied with all the checks, I signed one paper and left with the car. No rattles, no strange noises from either motor.

Only thing worth noting is that, as expected, both headlights have the DRLs going bad. A mobile tech will change both. No biggie.

The main thing I was really worried about, the battery, is perfectly fine. At 90% it was showing 223 miles which means 100% should be around 247. For over 40k miles that's great news!

I'll be back with more pics soon. I need to relax for a sec now :)

Quite a tight fit in the garage compared to our Beetle but that was expected.

View attachment 484701
View attachment 484702
View attachment 484703

Looks awesome! Congratulations. Have fun!

• Love