TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My Model S Caused an Accident

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jkam, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Jkam

Jkam Member

I was heading north, and when I got to an intersection I was the 2nd car waiting to make a left turn. We were waiting for a gap in the southbound traffic to execute our left hand turns. Meanwhile there was a fancy Mercedes to the west heading east into the intersection. The Mercedes had a stop sign. I saw the driver of the Mercedes looking at my car as he was creeping into the intersection . Because he was gawking at my car which was at 2 o'clock position to him, he didn't see the biker heading south and was at his 9 o'clock position. He kept creeping into the intersection and clipped the back end of the biker. The biker fell and slid on his right buttock a good 3-4 yards burning through his biker tights and suffering a huge scrape on his right buttock. The Mercedes driver pulled over and called an ambulance. I don't think the biker was injured bad other than the nasty scrape he suffered.

I know the accident was not my fault directly, but indirectly I know my car had a role in the accident. I feel bad, but what can I do?

2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Tell the Mercedes driver to dump the Benz and buy a model S

But seriously, I don't think there's much you can do. You can't be held responsible for other peoples actions

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Not your fault in any way, jkam. I'm glad the cyclist is okay. As more Model S hit the roads, it will become less of a rarity.

4. steve841

steve841 Active Member

I should have blamed that smoking hot girl walking in her bikini for running in to a wall.

Not really. Though a few close calls. Bottom line... Ain't your fault for the actions or in actions of others.

5. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

That's terrible. It's in no way your fault. Distracted driving is the #1 cause of accidents and that Merc driver allowed himself to be distracted by your car. You have a cool and beautiful car and can't control what someone else will do. Don't feel bad.

Spin it for a moment and consider that. Is it your responsibility to drive a drab boring car on the off chance that someone might not notice you and not cause an accident? Of course not. It was the Merc driver's responsibilty to control what he was doing. You can't control his distraction.

It's still a terrible thing to have happened in front of you but don't feel bad because you have an attention getting car.

I hope this is helpful.

6. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

I suppose if you had seen it coming (including the bike rider), there might have been two choices: to honk, or, if the Mercedes driver was seeing you (and not only the car), to point to the bike rider, to get attention there. Not sure if either might have helped.

7. zdre

zdre 40kWh Model S P6415

I've been hit by cars twice while riding my bike. Both times were a similar scenario... The driver was not looking where he was going. Fortunately they were at a very low speed, so there were no injuries or damage.

8. Jkam

Jkam Member

Well I feel bad mostly because I saw the whole thing and I know the biker is probably going to have a sucky holiday season trying to get around on a busted up buttock. And I'm sure the Mercedes driver feels really, really guilty.

After reflecting on the situation I thought to myself, "that's how it must feel to be a smoking hot girl." First time I ever remotely had that kind of feeling. Kind of funny that you thought the same thing.

9. spleen

spleen Active Member

#9 spleen, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    LOL! Must have been a strange out of body type of experience. ;)

Glad to hear that nobody seemed to be seriously hurt.

10. Mike_Schlechter

Mike_Schlechter Model S - P457

I also caused an accident yesterday. I was pulling out of a parking lot, and a guy was looking at me, not the stopped car in front of him, and BOOM. I hopped out to make sure everyone was ok. The guy who did the rear-ending said he was fine and then started walking around my car, looking at it. The driver who got hit was much less interested in my car...

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The guy who got hit didn't hop out and say "Wow. A Model S!?" Some people:)
    Glad everyone is ok. I imagine as the Model S becomes more common that stories like these become less common.

12. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

#12 ChadS, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Although she didn't hurt any people, including herself, my wife may have just been involved in the first Model S-caused animal fatality.

She ran over a rabbit as she was backing down our driveway. (I was in the car with her; she was looking backwards and I was watching the rear-view camera; but we had no clue until we felt the thump. I think it ran under the car from the side and got hit by the front tire).

Mind you, this was probably the rabbit that ate all of her baby pumpkins last Spring, so she's a little conflicted about the whole thing. But mostly sad.

13. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Rabbits are people too!!

/PETA

14. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Did you eat the rabbit?

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

That might explain a lot of election results!

16. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I nearly nailed a pigeon this morning, too. An unexpected hazard of driving EVs.

17. Jkam

Jkam Member

I know pressed duck is a famous french recipe. Wonder if Tesla pressed rabbit will be showing up at the nearest gourmet restaurant near you.:tongue:

You think the rabbit got nailed because the car is so quiet? Either that it was one stupid rabbit. Survival of the fittest.

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I've hit more than a few birds driving gas cars; they do tend to swoop in front. On the bright side they seem to be less dangerous with deer.

19. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Been there, done that (re birds, not deer). This pigeon was standing on the pavement, though! Birdbrain...

20. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

I've hit a pigeon with the windshield of an electric train travelling at 100mph. Quite a lot of noise and a ball of feathers in the rear view mirror. Is an electric train considered an EV ? ;)