Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S Caused an Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rabbits dart back and forth across the driveway all the time (there are bushes on both sides). The scene of the crime:

IMG_20121217_143930.jpg

It was dark and cold, so the lights were on and the HVAC was running; plus Korpiklaani was blasting on the stereo. We were far from silent. I think the rabbit was just stupid.

I'm a vegetarian so we didn't eat it; but I didn't want to let it go to waste - we set the rabbit in a wooded area for the crows.

My wife is serious about her pumpkins. She plants them individually in tiny little pots, waters and fertilizes, and in the spring has them outside during the day and inside at night. Once they are strong enough, she plants them out in the garden. A day or two after doing so, she went out to check on her 11 pumpkins...and only saw 9! She figured it must be that pesky rabbit, so she went in to get some boxes and such to blockade the plants. She came back out...and there were only 5! She ran back in for some string...and came back out to 2.

She's a huge animal lover and very peaceful, yet she's been talking about killing rabbits for months. Then she accidentally runs over one, and feels horrible about it.

Last edited:
Ok. If you're squeamish, stop reading.

Years ago, I was driving down the highway at about 70 mph, and a storm was approaching. The birds were going crazy. One of them skewered himself on my 3 foot vertical antenna. Removing him was disgusting.

The rabbits dart back and forth across the driveway all the time (there are bushes on both sides). The scene of the crime:

View attachment 13030

It was dark and cold, so the lights were on and the HVAC was running; plus Korpiklaani was blasting on the stereo. We were far from silent. I think the rabbit was just stupid.

I'm a vegetarian so we didn't eat it; but I didn't want to let it go to waste - we set the rabbit in a wooded area for the crows.

My wife is serious about her pumpkins. She plants them individually in tiny little pots, waters and fertilizes, and in the spring has them outside during the day and inside at night. Once they are strong enough, she plants them out in the garden. A day or two after doing so, she went out to check on her 11 pumpkins...and only saw 9! She figured it must be that pesky rabbit, so she went in to get some boxes and such to blockade the plants. She came back out...and there were only 5! She ran back in for some string...and came back out to 2.

She's a huge animal lover and very peaceful, yet she's been talking about killing rabbits for months. Then she accidentally runs over one, and feels horrible about it.
Suggestion for next time: chicken wire.

Did you eat the rabbit?

Well sort of on topic. I hid a bird Sunday driving my car. I was sad. It just flew down onto the road as I was driving (45mph) and there was nothing I could do. Caught my lower bumper.

But my dog (greyhound) is really really good at catching, and killing, rabbits. The last one was in good shape (dog didn't break the skin) and I suggested to my wife "Should we eat it?" Well turns out that is not an option, and putting the rabbit into about 10 plastic garbage bags then into the outside trashcan along with my work gloves was the only option.

I know now to not let my wife know which pair of gloves I handle the dead animals with.

EDIT: As an aside, I don't think I could have butchered/skinned the rabbit. I don't really have the stomach for blood that isn't my own.

Contributory negligence?

I was heading north, and when I got to an intersection I was the 2nd car waiting to make a left turn. We were waiting for a gap in the southbound traffic to execute our left hand turns. Meanwhile there was a fancy Mercedes to the west heading east into the intersection. The Mercedes had a stop sign. I saw the driver of the Mercedes looking at my car as he was creeping into the intersection . Because he was gawking at my car which was at 2 o'clock position to him, he didn't see the biker heading south and was at his 9 o'clock position. He kept creeping into the intersection and clipped the back end of the biker. The biker fell and slid on his right buttock a good 3-4 yards burning through his biker tights and suffering a huge scrape on his right buttock. The Mercedes driver pulled over and called an ambulance. I don't think the biker was injured bad other than the nasty scrape he suffered.

I know the accident was not my fault directly, but indirectly I know my car had a role in the accident. I feel bad, but what can I do?
Aha, perhaps contributory negligence? You were at the wrong place at the wrong time. When you saw the Mercedes gawking at your car, could you have speeded up and disappeared, thus reducing the time of gawking? Was the cyclist gawking too as he didn't seemed to have stopped either?