Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S for Android no longer working - new corporate device management MaaS360 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, I have a bad feeling I'm on my own with this one, but thought I'd post just in case.

The Model S app for my Android phone stopped working pretty much exactly when my IT pushed out a new corporate device management system called MaaS360.

The app seems to try communicating to log in, but then comes back saying the servers could not be reached. But if I try from my iPod, even using the phone's LTE signal as a hotspot, it works fine.

The Tesla folks tried to help but couldn't diagnose. My IT department says they're not filtering sites and had no other ideas, but I'm still leaning towards some sort of privilege restriction that has caused the app to stop working.

Anybody have any ideas here (short of buying a used iPhone) ? I used the app all the time on this phone when it worked and with Summon in Canada only working via cellphone right now, I can't even try it (the iPod doesn't provide the location accuracy and it aborts).

I assume you own the car (not your employer). But does your employer own the Phone? If they do, then you are probably screwed. If it is YOUR phone they messed with, tell your IT department to fix it, or buy the phone from you.

Hi folks, I have a bad feeling I'm on my own with this one, but thought I'd post just in case.

The Model S app for my Android phone stopped working pretty much exactly when my IT pushed out a new corporate device management system called MaaS360.

The app seems to try communicating to log in, but then comes back saying the servers could not be reached. But if I try from my iPod, even using the phone's LTE signal as a hotspot, it works fine.

The Tesla folks tried to help but couldn't diagnose. My IT department says they're not filtering sites and had no other ideas, but I'm still leaning towards some sort of privilege restriction that has caused the app to stop working.

Anybody have any ideas here (short of buying a used iPhone) ? I used the app all the time on this phone when it worked and with Summon in Canada only working via cellphone right now, I can't even try it (the iPod doesn't provide the location accuracy and it aborts).

Funny coincidence, I just installed the Android app on my work phone with MaaS360 this morning. On mine it's working fine, so I can say it's not a blanket MaaS360 thing (though could of course be a specific policy from your IT department)
I'd second murphyS85's thoughts, go to the app manager, force stop the app, clear the data, and try starting over. Also of course worth double checking that you have web access on a non-company supplied browser as well. Really that's all the app is doing anyway, using web commands.

Thanks folks... let's see here:
The first thing I try when an Android app stops working is to use Application Manager to reset the apps data.
If that doesn't work then I uninstall the app and then download a new copy.
I'd be embarrassed to admit how many times I've now done all of these things :) I should have said so up at top.

I assume you own the car (not your employer). But does your employer own the Phone? If they do, then you are probably screwed. If it is YOUR phone they messed with, tell your IT department to fix it, or buy the phone from you.
Yes, I'm screwed.

Funny coincidence, I just installed the Android app on my work phone with MaaS360 this morning. On mine it's working fine, so I can say it's not a blanket MaaS360 thing (though could of course be a specific policy from your IT department)
I'd second murphyS85's thoughts, go to the app manager, force stop the app, clear the data, and try starting over. Also of course worth double checking that you have web access on a non-company supplied browser as well. Really that's all the app is doing anyway, using web commands.
Ahh a sign of hope ?

And I might have found the problem. I checked my router and it is reporting SSL/TLS (not SSL/TLS over HTTP) traffic on a different owned Android device when I use the Tesla app, where my corporate MaaS360 Android is not sending any SSL/TLS traffic.

So I assume they are blocking it... and knowing my luck it will be a "no, you can't have that" eg. due to corporate infrastructure.

And I might have found the problem. I checked my router and it is reporting SSL/TLS (not SSL/TLS over HTTP) traffic on a different owned Android device when I use the Tesla app, where my corporate MaaS360 Android is not sending any SSL/TLS traffic.

So I assume they are blocking it... and knowing my luck it will be a "no, you can't have that" eg. due to corporate infrastructure.
Blocking SSL/TLS would seem rather odd... to test it you can use a (non MaaS360) browser and try going to any secure site, for example https://www.google.com, or a banking site, etc. If they're blocking SSL you won't manage to get there. (Don't use the MaaS360 or other corporate provided browser for this test as they may be proxying through your company and have different rules)

My router showed separate "SSL/TLS over HTTP" and bare "SSL/TLS" requests, and it showed the "over HTTP" activating for the corporate phone but it never show the bare "SSL/TLS" on the corporate phone, just on my owned Android device when using the Tesla app.

I'm pretty technical but I don't even yet know what to ask my IT dept., if indeed this is the actual cause. I had assumed the "SSL/TLS" was some sort of pure data connection / tunnel vs. HTTPS... but I could certainly be wrong.

With the router I was actually hoping to log all the requests and responses and compare, but my router doesn't seem to have that capability so I might have to find a utility.