TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My Model S for Android no longer working - new corporate device management MaaS360 ?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Lex, Mar 2, 2016.

  1. Lex

    Lex Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    Messages:
    658
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi folks, I have a bad feeling I'm on my own with this one, but thought I'd post just in case.

    The Model S app for my Android phone stopped working pretty much exactly when my IT pushed out a new corporate device management system called MaaS360.

    The app seems to try communicating to log in, but then comes back saying the servers could not be reached. But if I try from my iPod, even using the phone's LTE signal as a hotspot, it works fine.

    The Tesla folks tried to help but couldn't diagnose. My IT department says they're not filtering sites and had no other ideas, but I'm still leaning towards some sort of privilege restriction that has caused the app to stop working.

    Anybody have any ideas here (short of buying a used iPhone) ? I used the app all the time on this phone when it worked and with Summon in Canada only working via cellphone right now, I can't even try it (the iPod doesn't provide the location accuracy and it aborts).
     
  2. murphyS85

    murphyS85 Member

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2014
    Messages:
    70
    Location:
    Horsham, PA
    The first thing I try when an Android app stops working is to use Application Manager to reset the apps data.
    If that doesn't work then I uninstall the app and then download a new copy.
     
  3. DCGOO

    DCGOO Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2015
    Messages:
    234
    Location:
    Indianapolis, IN
    I assume you own the car (not your employer). But does your employer own the Phone? If they do, then you are probably screwed. If it is YOUR phone they messed with, tell your IT department to fix it, or buy the phone from you.

     
  4. green1

    green1 Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2014
    Messages:
    4,105
    Location:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Funny coincidence, I just installed the Android app on my work phone with MaaS360 this morning. On mine it's working fine, so I can say it's not a blanket MaaS360 thing (though could of course be a specific policy from your IT department)
    I'd second murphyS85's thoughts, go to the app manager, force stop the app, clear the data, and try starting over. Also of course worth double checking that you have web access on a non-company supplied browser as well. Really that's all the app is doing anyway, using web commands.
     
  5. Lex

    Lex Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    Messages:
    658
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks folks... let's see here:
    I'd be embarrassed to admit how many times I've now done all of these things :) I should have said so up at top.

    Yes, I'm screwed.

    Ahh a sign of hope ?

    And I might have found the problem. I checked my router and it is reporting SSL/TLS (not SSL/TLS over HTTP) traffic on a different owned Android device when I use the Tesla app, where my corporate MaaS360 Android is not sending any SSL/TLS traffic.

    So I assume they are blocking it... and knowing my luck it will be a "no, you can't have that" eg. due to corporate infrastructure.
     
  6. green1

    green1 Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2014
    Messages:
    4,105
    Location:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Blocking SSL/TLS would seem rather odd... to test it you can use a (non MaaS360) browser and try going to any secure site, for example https://www.google.com, or a banking site, etc. If they're blocking SSL you won't manage to get there. (Don't use the MaaS360 or other corporate provided browser for this test as they may be proxying through your company and have different rules)
     
  7. Lex

    Lex Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    Messages:
    658
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    My router showed separate "SSL/TLS over HTTP" and bare "SSL/TLS" requests, and it showed the "over HTTP" activating for the corporate phone but it never show the bare "SSL/TLS" on the corporate phone, just on my owned Android device when using the Tesla app.

    I'm pretty technical but I don't even yet know what to ask my IT dept., if indeed this is the actual cause. I had assumed the "SSL/TLS" was some sort of pure data connection / tunnel vs. HTTPS... but I could certainly be wrong.

    With the router I was actually hoping to log all the requests and responses and compare, but my router doesn't seem to have that capability so I might have to find a utility.
     

Share This Page