Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S is a Total Loss :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is with a sad heart that my Model S, ElonsD, is a total loss :( I slid down a hill in the snow, and the shop wants $49,000 to fix it, so it looks like insurance company wants to total it out.

Sadder than that, my car is a 2015 well optioned P85D with just over 100,000 miles. Given that I can't find a single car like it for sale, does anyone have any advice where to go to search for high mileage Tesla's that have been sold, so I can fight what I assume is going to be a lowball payout?

Yes, I was trying my hardest to reach "Unlimited Miles" in 8 years :)

• Informative
Reactions: David29
It is with a sad heart that my Model S, ElonsD, is a total loss :( I slid down a hill in the snow, and the shop wants $49,000 to fix it, so it looks like insurance company wants to total it out.

Sadder than that, my car is a 2015 well optioned P85D with just over 100,000 miles. Given that I can't find a single car like it for sale, does anyone have any advice where to go to search for high mileage Tesla's that have been sold, so I can fight what I assume is going to be a lowball payout?

Some industry insight on TL Valuation:

1. They have to provide proof of the valuation they came to
  2. There are call centers full of people (depending on the vendor) that research car values. When they are unable to triangulate, they may leverage relationships with dealerships and ask for "what the dealer would sell this car for if it were on their lot today"
  3. Craigslist, autotrader, etc are all used by software programs designed to hunt for similar cars
  4. Any evidence of similar cars IN YOUR AREA (if possible) is to your benefit, send it to your adjuster ASAP
  5. Looking nationwide is a last resort, as values are all over the place when it comes to different states

IMHO a 2015 P85D with 100K miles and ALL options is probably worth 60k, and the insurance company probably thinks so too, since the software used to total vehicles usually thresholds around 75% of the repair VS residual.

Good luck :)

so sorry for your loss. Pics!

Are we all just gonna ignore that wonderful name?

May ElonsD rest in peace

Side note: My sister recently had a snow accident in her 2015 Genesis. It didn't look like much damage but the insurance decided to total it today. Repair came out to $19,300. Since we all love seeing pics of destroyed cars (for some reason), I'll attach some pics for your enjoyment :)

IMG_5372.JPG

dae5a5a0f1404a2a8c7a0c6130835734_904563735253_PHOTOS__Page_0001_Image_0001.jpg

When the insurance company writes you a check they are supposed to include the tax for the payout amount if that is applicable so make sure you take that into account. If you are not happy with their settlement offer, find a comparable on your own. When dealing with an insurance company, if you stand your ground with supporting evidence you can likely get more.

I see a bunch of CPO P85Ds available starting at the late 60s but it looks like the P85D inventory has been sitting for a while without moving much so we may see a price correction. If you can wait a month or two you should. 3 year leases for 2014 and 2015 P85Ds are now coming due... You'll soon see more CPO P85Ds in the 60s.

https://www.teslainventory.com/

I'm waiting for the Model S refresh to trade ours in or you could have bought ours :)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
There are situations where it makes sense to take the insurance money and have your car repaired, paying any additional cost out of your pocket.

Questions to ask - was the car in good condition and reliable before things went downhill? What sort of car could you get from the insurance money and extra out of pocket? How would that compare with your car after repairs?

Years ago our 8 year old SAAB 900 was declared total loss after our daughter rear-ended another car soon after getting her driver’s license. I had it repaired, paying a bit more out of pocket. I knew I wouldn’t be able to get a car with as much active and passive safety, and reliability for even twice the payout. The mechanic had done a lot of work fixing little and big problems after I stopped commuting in it, and before daughter got it.

The SAAB stayed on the road 7 more years, younger daughter had it in high school, then older daughter for senior year in college...

Never regretted paying to bring it back on the road.

Hmm it was incredibly reliable. It's not 100% a done deal that it is totalled but I'll consider paying a little more to have it repaired. It is kind of tempting to have a way lower payment on a Model 3 with more range and AP2 (haha). Would miss the acceleration.

$49,000 of damage.
View attachment 277042 View attachment 277043
If you can get me a copy of the estimate I'll tell you if the adjuster is out of his mind or not. I don't see 49K worth of damage there. You might get a check to fix that and pocket some money... call it a day.

Speaking of sliding down the hill in the snow, did anyone see that crazy video on FB of a Model X (rear wheels locked the whole time) turn on, start to move backwards, then slide all the way down a snow-covered driveway and slam into a tree? While no one was in it?

I am going through a total loss negotiation now. Make sure you get a copy of the valuation report and read it very carefully. My car was listed as a S85 with zero options not the P85 mostly loaded that it was. So the comps were against other S85s, not P85s. I provided a copy of my original purchase order to argue my case.

I also provided copies of the recent upgrades I had made ($4500 set of 21" Arachnids less than 1 month old being the largest).

I am still waiting to hear the new amount, but based on the phone conversations, it is higher than the original offer. It did include sales tax and registration as well.

Speaking of sliding down the hill in the snow, did anyone see that crazy video on FB of a Model X (rear wheels locked the whole time) turn on, start to move backwards, then slide all the way down a snow-covered driveway and slam into a tree? While no one was in it?

First I have heard of it. In searching all I can find is a YouTube video that was taken down:

I saw the video a few days ago. It was definitely a case of someone using Summons to be funny and scare the person taking the garbage out. Once the car started moving in reverse, the ice/snow on the very steep driveway provided the sad ending to the car launching down into the trees. Bet he definitely regretted that Summons call. 100% operator error (stupidity).

Last edited:
I saw the video a few days ago. It was definitely a case of someone using Summons to be funny and scare the person taking the garbage out. Once the car started moving in reverse, the ice/snow on the very steep driveway provided the sad ending to the car launching down into the trees. Bet he definitely regretted that Summons call. 100% operator error (stupidity).

Can you explain how the rear wheels were locked if it was a Summon prank/butt-Summon gone wrong? If you Summon a Tesla with the parking brake engaged, doesn't it automatically disengage the parking brake? Why would the rear wheels have been locked in the video if Summon does usually disengage the parking brake automatically?