Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S makes me look like an idiot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in my fourth month of driving my Model S and have loved every minute of it. But... when I get into my LEAF I forget that I have to push the button and release the brake and that I need to hit the brake occasionally to slow down. One pedal driving is not happening. Even worse, last week I had to drive our Honda CRV for a hiking trip on AWD roads. Aside from all the extra things I have to do just to get it moving, and having to listen to the car telling me to "please release the parking brake", I keep getting out forgetting to turn the thing off. When I do this I have to listen to my wife sarcastically asking me if I intend to turn off the engine and lock the car. Has this happened to you?

It really makes you appreciate the incredibly intuitive Tesla interface.

I'm in my fourth month of driving my Model S and have loved every minute of it. But... when I get into my LEAF I forget that I have to push the button and release the brake and that I need to hit the brake occasionally to slow down. One pedal driving is not happening. Even worse, last week I had to drive our Honda CRV for a hiking trip on AWD roads. Aside from all the extra things I have to do just to get it moving, and having to listen to the car telling me to "please release the parking brake", I keep getting out forgetting to turn the thing off. When I do this I have to listen to my wife sarcastically asking me if I intend to turn off the engine and lock the car. Has this happened to you?

It really makes you appreciate the incredibly intuitive Tesla interface.
Funny how fast you get used to just getting out and walking off. I did the same thing the one time I drove my other car. Solution? Don't drive anything else, anyone want to buy a Genesis Coupe? Lol.

Ha ha. A few weeks ago I had a rental car. I parked it in a lot and walked away with the keys in the ignition and running!

Done this myself recently. Add to that walking away from the car and forgetting it doesn't lock itself and pulling on the handle wondering why it won't open.

Is it sad that when I'm away I check the app to just to make sure everything is good? lol

We had similar stories on the forum after TESLIVE when people had to rent ICE vehicle after flying in. I'm thinking that soon rental car reps will not only ask if you want to buy optional insurance, they will also start asking if you own a Model S.
:wink:

Since owning a Model S, I've done every one of these things (some multiple times):

• Gotten out of the car and walked away with the car running
  • Filled-up at a gas station while the car is running
  • Walked away from the car forgetting that it doesn't lock on its own
  • Tried to get into the car without first unlocking it with the keyfob
  • Tried to drive the car without the key even in the ignition

Ha, so true! I have my Model S 10 days now and I'm seeing the same things.

I also have a Toyota Auris (smaller Prius) and when driving it yesterday I caught myself walking out of the car and not turning it off.

I even drove a manual gearbox car yesterday, that felt like going back to the stone-age.

Isn't this kind of like saying "I had to cancel lunch with my girlfriend because my ex-girlfriend's house was on fire. While helping my ex, I realized how much of a b* she is"?

When you know you're in trouble is when you cancel lunch with your girlfriend so you can take your wife to yoga class. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

I look like an idiot too while trying to figure out what I have to do (after pulling up too close to the pump).

HAHAHAHA A Supercharger user I see :biggrin:

Ha, so true! I have my Model S 10 days now and I'm seeing the same things.

I also have a Toyota Auris (smaller Prius) and when driving it yesterday I caught myself walking out of the car and not turning it off.

I even drove a manual gearbox car yesterday, that felt like going back to the stone-age.
Don't remind me ... I was in the UK this past week where I have a stick shift (manual) diesel. Hadn't driven it in ages and what a SHOCK to the system. The smell, the noise, the key requirement, lack of acceleration, braking. I couldn't wait to get back to my car here!

Drove my wife's Lexus to the airport (she left 2 days before me), got through security, and then spent the next 10 days worrying if I had pushed the button to turn the car off!
Luckily I had and we were able to get home.

I was in withdrawal for the entire trip. As an infrequent visitor to LA who tries to avoid the 405, I really missed my MS every time I was merging from an on ramp or trying to change lanes. The rental minivan felt like it was parked - and that's when traffic was flowing. But it was fun playing a 2013 version of 'punch buggy' using MS's instead of VW Bugs. There aren't many sightings in north FL yet.

I seem to have the easiest time going back to a manual transmission. It is so different it forces me to think about it and I haven't yet done any of these stupid things. Automatic transmission on the other hand results in lots of confusion. My company's trucks have the shifter on the steering column just like the S. I look really stupid trying to put them into drive without even turning it on. I step on the brake, try to put it in drive, and then get upset/confused it's not shifting to drive. Oh yeah, gotta turn it on first! Happened at least half a dozen times.

Solution: Get a Model X with AWD so you don't have to be confused by that other obsolete technology.

I sold my Prius a couple of weeks ago. I had to drive it to the lady's credit union. What an adventure! First, I had no idea what to do after sitting down and pressing the brake pedal. I was expecting everything to just turn on, but instead I had to go out of my way and press the START button. Then everything turned on, whew! Reverse, clunk! Drive, clunk! Depress the accelerator pedal and car feels like it's driving through peanut butter. If I can use this analogy here, driving a Model S is like lifting the fog - you finally see what you've been missing all this time! Drove the Prius for 7 years but didn't realize until two weeks ago that it didn't really fit me, everything is awkwardly positioned and all the buttons and levers confused me.