Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S Never Gets This Kind of Attention! -The BMW i8 :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The BMW i8 is absolutely beautiful looking!
I often fantasize about owning one, however the EV only range is terrible and I do not want to go back to using gasoline

Wish they'd make one with at least 200 miles of EV range, like the tesla roadster

If only the i8 had a flat battery and was all electric...

Doesn't the i8 pipe in fake engine sounds via the car's sound system when you accelerate? Apparently BMW assumes the car is bought by 5 year olds.

http://www.slashgear.com/bmw-i8-will-force-fake-engine-noise-and-howl-at-pedestrians-31323128/

I suppose this would have been like the early cars making horse sounds as this is just as idiotic.

FWIW I bet many Model S owners like how understated the design is.

It's a really beautiful vehicle, and asks you to look at it.

Is also a blast to drive. I had the pleasure of having a bit of fun with one a couple of months ago.

Regarding the fake sound, I have to say it was quite well done. I always thought it was a stupid idea and never enjoyed such sounds (real or not) in other cars, but it matches the i8's second burst of power well and I actually (*much* to my surprise) found it enjoyable.

Obviously, the Model S is a much better all-around car. But the i8 would be nice to have in the garage. :D

I really really wanted to like the i8. They should have given up on the unusable rear seats and just given more storage space. They should have figured out a way to qualify for a green sticker. The rear corner visibility is also really bad (worse than Roadster), but there are ways to mitigate that.

But, I love the way the car looks and look forward to driving one.

The BMW i8 is absolutely beautiful looking!
I often fantasize about owning one, however the EV only range is terrible and I do not want to go back to using gasoline

Wish they'd make one with at least 200 miles of EV range, like the tesla roadster

I hear you, sometimes I wish it had more range too. However, since the battery recharges while driving it in sports mode; there's no need to ever plug it in and I love that! I do plug it in regularly but it's so much fun getting on the highway, flooring it past everybody else, getting EV miles in the process and then zip locally in all electric like nothing ever happened and cool as my Model S :biggrin:

I feel blessed :smile:!

I hear you, sometimes I wish it had more range too. However, since the battery recharges while driving it in sports mode; there's no need to ever plug it in and I love that! I do plug it in regularly but it's so much fun getting on the highway, flooring it past everybody else, getting EV miles in the process and then zip locally in all electric like nothing ever happened and cool as my Model S :biggrin:

I feel blessed :smile:!
I'm failing to see how burning gasoline to recharge a battery is a good thing. The entire point to having a battery is to not burn gas.

I really really wanted to like the i8. They should have given up on the unusable rear seats and just given more storage space. They should have figured out a way to qualify for a green sticker. The rear corner visibility is also really bad (worse than Roadster), but there are ways to mitigate that.

But, I love the way the car looks and look forward to driving one.

I use the rear seats as somewhat of a storage. Actually they should have made them seats fold down as to extend the space of the tiny trunk. They're definitely for children or young teens but I've squeezed skinny adults back there and once in they love the ride, it's like a spaceship! As to the rear corner visibility, I have ample visibility, not much different than my Model S. Maybe it's my height (I'm 5'10") but it's not a problem for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm failing to see how burning gasoline to recharge a battery is a good thing. The entire point to having a battery is to not burn gas.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, I'm saying it's a fun thing! I go electric must of the time but once in a while it's a hell of a lot of fun.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Exactly.

I don't mean it like it's a bad thing, they're just different drives, completely different cars. I just wish people would notice it more, ask questions and learn more about Model S. I love talking about the technology and all the great things the Model S has but people never really ask. On the other hand, I'm constantly asked about the the i8: what is it, how does it work, etc. That besides all the compliments, the constant picture-taking and admiring looks as I drive by and people even following me for miles; it can get annoying sometimes.

I don't mean it like it's a bad thing, they're just different drives, completely different cars. I just wish people would notice it more, ask questions and learn more about Model S. I love talking about the technology and all the great things the Model S has but people never really ask. On the other hand, I'm constantly asked about the the i8: what is it, how does it work, etc. That besides all the compliments, the constant picture-taking and admiring looks as I drive by and people even following me for miles; it can get annoying sometimes.
If that's what you like, the attention, then stick what works for you. When it comes to cars, it's what the driver wants in a vehicle that counts.

I'm with eye.surgeon and Canuck. The less attention I get, the better.

I disagree. It looks like a supercar and it performs like a supercar! It may not match P90D's instant torque but it's super freaking fast. Give it a try sometime.

It certainly doesn't perform like a Supercar. Supercars regularly break sub 3 second 60 times. I'm not saying the car isn't quick and well worth buying just for the money and the way the car looks there is no way it should be beaten off the line be a large sedan. The P90D also doesn't perform like a Supercar above 60 either but it's a large family sedan. The i8 is basically a 2 seater and outside looks doesn't shine in any category. It's still a sweet looking car and would love to drive one sometime but think BMW could have done so much more with this car making it a pure EV.