Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S Saved My Life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually just did the same, and Tesla offered me a LAUGHABLE amount, and i considered selling private party... I finally made the decision to keep it about 2 weeks before this... Hopefully insurance does better than Tesla, lord knows they couldn't do worse.

Best wishes, and good luck with your P85D! It's a great car!
I am on the fence on what to do with my car. They definitely low balled me on the trade in price. I have about 50k miles on the car and one more year of warranty left. I bought the car when it was 3 years old and back when Tesla had the "CPO" program where they reconditioned the car. So I had 4 more years of warranty with the car. I love the car. It has the next gen seat that were made by Recaro with next gen rear seating. I am surprised that it has no rattles or squeaks. Pretty well put together. I guess It is a luck of the draw. Not sure if it makes sense to keep the car without warranty though.

I am on the fence on what to do with my car. They definitely low balled me on the trade in price. I have about 50k miles on the car and one more year of warranty left. I bought the car when it was 3 years old and back when Tesla had the "CPO" program where they reconditioned the car. So I had 4 more years of warranty with the car. I love the car. It has the next gen seat that were made by Recaro with next gen rear seating. I am surprised that it has no rattles or squeaks. Pretty well put together. I guess It is a luck of the draw. Not sure if it makes sense to keep the car without warranty though.
I had the Recaro seats too!! I think myself and several others here would recommend avoiding an out of warranty Tesla... my car ran great and one day just bricked and needed a new battery 6 months before warranty expired. I don't even want to think about what that would have run me.

Reactions: dds28
I had the Recaro seats too!! I think myself and several others here would recommend avoiding an out of warranty Tesla... my car ran great and one day just bricked and needed a new battery 6 months before warranty expired. I don't even want to think about what that would have run me.
That would be the worst scenario. My wife told me to let it go because of that reason. I think a battery pack replacement would be right around $20k. Ouch.

Probably nothing since the battery warranty is still in effect until 2023 for a 2015 model.

That's still cheaper than a new car. What am I missing about this calculation? I'd like to keep my car for as long as possible.
A 20k repair on a car worth 40k is a big percentage. As Tesla gets older, their supply of the older parts becomes smaller and smaller, which could increase waiting time for parts.
I know I only got a 90kwh battery because they HAD to replace it as per warranty. They don’t make 85 packs anymore, or so I was told and the few they have are refurbs.

if it was me, I wouldn’t want to spend $20k on a refurb part that they don’t manufacture anymore for a car worth $40k.

i could take that 20k, and the 40k from selling instead, buy a newer car with a warranty.

A 20k repair on a car worth 40k is a big percentage. As Tesla gets older, their supply of the older parts becomes smaller and smaller, which could increase waiting time for parts.
I know I only got a 90kwh battery because they HAD to replace it as per warranty. They don’t make 85 packs anymore, or so I was told and the few they have are refurbs.

if it was me, I wouldn’t want to spend $20k on a refurb part that they don’t manufacture anymore for a car worth $40k.

i could take that 20k, and the 40k from selling instead, buy a newer car with a warranty.
Thanks for the explanation!

glad you came out of this I’m pretty good shape.

I would guess that Tesla will have a lot of 2017+ used model S vehicles as people on the cutting edge will be trading their S in for one of the new refreshed models. If you can wait for a couple
Months, they will probably want to dump some of them.
Just my thoughts. I am a newbie to Tesla and EV’s. I ordered my new S in December and actually believed it would be delivered in February. So I do not have experience or real knowledge of how Tesla deals with their trade- ins

So sorry to hear that! Although also good to hear the car protected you.

Don’t listen to the naysayers. We have a 2017 90D and a 2020 Y (vin is 6xxx). I wouldn’t want a 3 due to the lack of a hatchback, but a LR Y with the performance boost for $2k is a great, great car. I do love the air suspension of the S and the exterior look but otherwise there is a lot to recommend the Y (I’m trying not to say that I like it better since I don’t want the S to hear). I prefer the steering on the Y (yeah yeah naysayers well just read Dan Neil’s WSJ review) which is also better than my 2011 BMW M sport 335xi and the interior is much better thought out. The S is a tad faster. Then upright seating and capacity of the Y is just great.

Right now, because of the worldwide shortage of new cars, there is a huge premium value in used cars. Going through Carmax or Carvana is probably your easiest way to get a good price for your used car. I sold my Genesis to Carvana and arranged for them to pick up my old car the day before the Tesla was delivered.

glad you came out of this I’m pretty good shape.

I would guess that Tesla will have a lot of 2017+ used model S vehicles as people on the cutting edge will be trading their S in for one of the new refreshed models. If you can wait for a couple
Months, they will probably want to dump some of them.
Just my thoughts. I am a newbie to Tesla and EV’s. I ordered my new S in December and actually believed it would be delivered in February. So I do not have experience or real knowledge of how Tesla deals with their trade- ins
And give up my pano roof and FUSC on my 2017 S? No way! Haha

Glad everyone was ok . I’m just curious what the situation is for the lifetime supercharging and premium connectivity in a situation like this Where it’s not your fault - ask if they’ll let you transfer those benefits if you buy a new Tesla? Alternatively, those features should have a value for any insurance payout as well….