Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S shows 1315 wh/mi on the dash what does that mean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is the average energy consumption. the question is, what trip(s) does it apply to? Where do you see that number? If it is in the Trips app, that should indicate the distance and tell you if it is the average for your last start, or since your last charge. If it is from the Energy app, it reflects the average over some distance you selected -- instant (1 mile), 5 miles, 15 miles, or 30 miles.
That is an extremely high value, roughly 4 times the EPA rating, so it is most likely from a very short trip. or it may reflect extra energy consumed while preheating the car and without being plugged in, something like that.
Please tell us where you read the figure, and what else the screen says, as well as what you were doing.
So, you need to tell us more.

Reactions: BrokerDon
On my dash it shows 1315 wh/mi on it, what does that mean?
Umm that would be very bad from a range standpoint.

I don't know what car you have by essentially take your model number, saw Model S Long Range, it has a 100kWh battery.
100kWh = 100,000Wh. 100,000 / 1315 = 76 miles of range.

You either are driving extremely aggressive, as in flooring it every change you get, or you've been driving uphill, or its a very short sample size?

I average around 355 Wh and I drive pretty aggressive. With mine, I would get about 282 miles of range based on that, when the car is rated for 376 miles. In order to get the rated range, I would have to average 266 Wh.

Perhaps I should have added (in case you are a real novice at this stuff) that wh/mi is Watt-hours per mile. Your battery storage is rated in kilowatt hours, so a Watt-hour is 1/1000 of a kW-hour. Most Model S drivers probably average between 290 and maybe 350 Wh/mile over the lifetime of their cars, depending on the model, year, and how they drive. (There is a thread on lifetime average wh/mi that you can search for.)

It is the average energy consumption. the question is, what trip(s) does it apply to? Where do you see that number? If it is in the Trips app, that should indicate the distance and tell you if it is the average for your last start, or since your last charge. If it is from the Energy app, it reflects the average over some distance you selected -- instant (1 mile), 5 miles, 15 miles, or 30 miles.
That is an extremely high value, roughly 4 times the EPA rating, so it is most likely from a very short trip. or it may reflect extra energy consumed while preheating the car and without being plugged in, something like that.
Please tell us where you read the figure, and what else the screen says, as well as what you were doing.
So, you need to tell us more.
Thank you for responding its been a while since I was able to get back here to the forum. That number shows on the dashboard right hand side where it says mi/whs