TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My Model S tinted, paint corrected, clear wrapped and carbon-fibered

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by S1278, May 23, 2014.

1. S1278

S1278 Member

#1 S1278, May 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
    Hi All

I recently put my P85+ through Moe Mistry's "advanced install" clear bra Xpel Ultimate wrap, with paint correction first. In the advanced install, major trim parts, light housings and door panels etc. are removed and catalogued so that the clear bra may be wrapped cleanly around edges. Moe's team also tinted the windows with Huper Optik film and wrapped all chrome parts with a carbon-fiber-style wrap, and applied a CQuartz nano coating on top of the Xpel. I had originally intended to do a matte black wrap on the chrome but Moe suggested the carbon fiber and I don't regret the change at all. I figure you guys are the best judges of Model S appearance so here's a few photos. Hope you like it.

Model S 2.jpg
    IMG_3933-web900.jpg
    IMG_3943-web900.jpg

Attached Files:

2. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

Appreciate the opportunity to do this project. We had a lot of fun and pushed a few envelopes.

3. ModelX

ModelX Member

Beautiful!

4. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

really nice job. looks great!

5. green1

green1 Active Member

That is one sweet looking MS! And just when I thought I didn't like the black ones. .. I may have to revaluate that. ..

6. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Awesome! Love the CF accents. Nice touch.
    Intimidating for sure.

7. flodrab

flodrab Member

you might consider wrapping the mirror bodies in carbon fiber ... I had mine done, and have gotten a ton of compliments about it

mirror.JPG

8. Blaze

Blaze Member

Really nice.

9. S4Life

S4Life Member

Looks great! Moe does some really nice work from what I have seen. I also install in this manner so thats coming from someone that knows the in and outs of this type of work. Not all do the level of work to such detail by disassembling to provide that seamless look. My hats off to Moe for doing it right! Hell if I didn't do the work myself I would take my car to Moe :biggrin:.

I am about to wrap my S in matte dark grey and was going to do matte black on the trim but I am considering the CF now as that looks really good! I already had plans to do my rocker panels and front rear skirts but wonder if that would be too much CF on the car?

Did you get any other trim done in carbon fiber? Inside frunk, back of seats, etc?

10. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

This makes a good argument for the next Bond car.

11. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

Very nicely done.

12. flodrab

flodrab Member

#12 flodrab, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    this is my car ... freaked me out a little when I saw this video for the first time because I didn't know about the level of "destruction" involved in the job, but the end result was definitely worth the effort ... an absolutely clean, seamless finish that looks like it's painted on

13. S1278

S1278 Member

@flodrab - we didn't wrap the mirror bodies but did wrap the support posts. Yours looks great though! I will try to post a photo but for the moment the forum won't let me do anything other than a quick reply (with no attachments), perhaps because I don't have enough posts.

@S4Life - I didn't wrap any of the other trim accents besides the chrome parts. I've seen the photos of artsci's car with other CF panels and it looks very good. I was concerned that the CF on the chrome parts would look too "blingy" but like how it came out in the end. I think for me, wrapping both the chrome and the other trim parts would be too much CF.

14. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    love the carbon wrapped accents, looks great!

15. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

Thanks for the kind words.

I listen to what my clients say and try and make their vision a reality. In this project, client wanted a clean factory look that had a little edge to it, but also being understated. I felt the carbon accent and the shade of tint we chose would achieve that goal.

My philosophy has always been one of harmony. Everything you do, should flow and work in symphony with the rest of the car. For example, I don't want the carbon to take away from the wheels. I don't want the tint to be so dark that it speaks louder than the amazing job we did on the paint. The clear bra we installed on the entire car shouldn't be seen, it should do its job quietly without taking away the "look" and "feel" of this Model S. So, if everything is in balance and complements the enhancements we make, we've hit a home run. You stand back and take in everything; like drinking a great bottle of wine, on Central Coast of California, watching the sun go down, while gazing into the waves of the Pacific Ocean. That's the art we try and make on every project we work on. Model S is an excellent canvas for us :) Can't wait for the X!!

16. Caloncho

Caloncho LongerTelomeres?

#16 Caloncho, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    @flodrab: nice cf mirrors!
    @S1278: risky choices, great final results!!