Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S was keyed

yo mama

Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2015
san jose, CA
MS got keyed tonight - like four feet across the left front panel and both driver's side doors. Obviously not happy but it's late and the service center isn't open. Is this something the Tesla SC fixes?

Last edited:

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
Oh no. Where was this? Very sad to hear.

No, Tesla SCs do not fix such damage. They'd refer you to a certified body shop.

Sorry again. There were a few such incidents in the early days in parts of Palo Alto and up in SF but, haven't heard anything like this recently.

Auzie

Tree Hugger Member
Jul 29, 2013
Sydney
Shasta Hanchett area of the Rose Garden. In my drive way. I may need to fire my dog.

So sorry that your car was vandalised yo mama

I'm sure your dog is sorry too

SorryDog.jpg

Please do not fire your dog

Get a BlackVue instead, it records disturbances around your parked car. Not sure if video of the assailant would be helpful though

Last edited:

shokunin

P85 & M3
Feb 28, 2012
Irvine, CA
oh, that sucks. So sorry man, depending on the depth you can also try visiting some detailing shops to see if they can touch up then level the keyed scratches. Otherwise it'd be a paint and blend job at a body shop.

yobigd20

Oct 28, 2012
Skaneateles, NY
no, tesla won't fix this. you need a professional detailer who will buff those marks out. hopefulyl not all the way through the clear coat but there are tricks they can do to hide it perfectly where you cant see it anymore.

travwill

May 1, 2015
Marble Falls, TX
SORRY, sucks! Yeah, body shop paint job is all. They have to blend across multiple panels etc. A good body shop will make it look like new again. Probably about $1000 to fix max.

jerry33

(S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
Although I've been lucky and never had this happen, it was a factor in getting full coverage paint armour.

Xenoilphobe

Jan 2, 2014
Fairfax County, Virginia
blackvue would have captured the criminal. He's lucky he didn't do it in my driveway. I have two German shepherds and 1080P night vision cameras with auto alert for movement on the perimeter tied to a DVR. I wouldn't have shot him because it might hit the car and dogs wouldnt get to clean their teeth by chewing on him for alittle bit. It would have made a great video!

Last edited:

MsElectric

Oct 11, 2014
New York
MS got keyed tonight - like four feet across the left front panel and both driver's side doors. Obviously not happy but it's late and the service center isn't open. Is this something the Tesla SC fixes?

So sorry to hear this. One of our cars once got keyed, in a Whole Foods parking lot of all places!

You don't have to bother with a Tesla Certified shop for something so cosmetic but find a high end body shop that works on high end cars and have experience with aluminum panels.

ByICE

Occasional member
Jul 14, 2013
North FL
Thanks for the link as I didn't know it could pick up audio as well. This really makes me want to get one.

You just have to watch what you are saying :). But I can wave hand in front of it and it will stop recording the sound. You don't want to get caught yelling at your kids, while plowing into the car in front of you.

JanetM

Sep 7, 2015
TX (Austin area)
Ugh, heartbreaking. Sorry to hear this.

I got keyed the first week with the car, and it really upset me for awhile. Now I think I just feel sorry for anyone whose life is so unhappy that they have that impulse to cause damage to someone they don't even know.

I hope it's good as new in no time.

MsElectric

Oct 11, 2014
New York
You just have to watch what you are saying :). But I can wave hand in front of it and it will stop recording the sound. You don't want to get caught yelling at your kids, while plowing into the car in front of you.

I guess that's when you take out the SD Card and swallow it :)

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC