Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S was keyed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still pretty easy to key a car even with protection film. Harder than bare, but certainly not difficult. If they noticed it wasn't working, they'd just push harder until it did.

Reminds me of my father, he used to leave his car unlocked, so would be thieves would not damage the car when breaking in

Interestingly none of his cars got stolen

The scratch was pretty deep. To fix all three panels the estimate from the Tesla-approved body shop is $2,600. Insurance should cover most of it but still.
So sorry to hear that. It's very frustrating to think that someone looks at these cars and thinks "rich a-hole" and does something like this when for most of the owners, the car is a significant symbol of hard work, good decisions, and hope for the future. If only everyone could see them that way.

So sorry to hear that. It's very frustrating to think that someone looks at these cars and thinks "rich a-hole" and does something like this when for most of the owners, the car is a significant symbol of hard work, good decisions, and hope for the future. If only everyone could see them that way.
Thanks, Alan. You know, the body shop guy I'm working with assured me that cars get keyed all the time, and it isn't focused just on high end vehicles. Though, he recently worked on a P90D - the owner hadn't even had it two weeks and someone keyed the hood up good. Another Alfa owner got t-boned by a motorcycle, which did tens of thousands of dollars in damage to the car, and messed up the rider pretty bad. So in the grand scheme of things (for me) no one got hurt, the situation is fixable, and life is still good.