Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S went Haywire on me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving to the store this past weekend with my 2 kids I started getting all sorts of Errors on the screen (Here is a snapshot) of the screen when it started:

Errors from Tesla.jpg

In any case I get to my destination and park the car but it will not go into park. The car refused to go into park and there was no way to shut the car down. I called support and they walked me through the reset (Car would not reset), They walked me through the power down in the settings menu and it was Greyed out so the emergency shutdown option would not work neither.

At this point the service rep asked if we got out of the car would it shut down. I opened my door and my son in the front seat opened his door we got out and closed the doors and the doors locked and the car was still in drive and the doors would not from the outside. The doors in the back seat would not open and my 8yr old son was stuck in the backseat but he jumped into the front seat and from inside the front door would open and I jumped back in. (Good thing I have creep off or the car would have rolled away)

In any case on hold with the local center and they give up and tell me they are transferring me to a higher level department who has access to more remote tools. In any case while on hold for 15 minutes the errors all stopped and the car returned to normal. I was able to put it in park and all doors opened and we exited the vehicle.

At its peak I counted 11 errors on the display during the middle of the vehicles fit. The car was towed to the local dealer on Saturday and its Wednesday and they are still diagnosing the vehicle to see what happened.

• Informative
Reactions: DJ 240V and David29
I guess it is too late for this, but I wonder if pressing and holding the park button would work in this situation? In any case, this is one scary scenario and hope you get some feedback from the service center. Please share your findings.

Driving to the store this past weekend with my 2 kids I started getting all sorts of Errors on the screen (Here is a snapshot) of the screen when it started:

View attachment 272329

In any case I get to my destination and park the car but it will not go into park. The car refused to go into park and there was no way to shut the car down. I called support and they walked me through the reset (Car would not reset), They walked me through the power down in the settings menu and it was Greyed out so the emergency shutdown option would not work neither.

At this point the service rep asked if we got out of the car would it shut down. I opened my door and my son in the front seat opened his door we got out and closed the doors and the doors locked and the car was still in drive and the doors would not from the outside. The doors in the back seat would not open and my 8yr old son was stuck in the backseat but he jumped into the front seat and from inside the front door would open and I jumped back in. (Good thing I have creep off or the car would have rolled away)

In any case on hold with the local center and they give up and tell me they are transferring me to a higher level department who has access to more remote tools. In any case while on hold for 15 minutes the errors all stopped and the car returned to normal. I was able to put it in park and all doors opened and we exited the vehicle.

At its peak I counted 11 errors on the display during the middle of the vehicles fit. The car was towed to the local dealer on Saturday and its Wednesday and they are still diagnosing the vehicle to see what happened.

View attachment 272329

Reminded me of this thread https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/six-alerts-this-happen-to-anyone-else.99243/#post-2338666

Matt

This is not the first time this happened. Similar issue happened a few months back and it was in service for 2 weeks with multiple errors but never the issue with not being able to put the car in park. Normally I would turn off the car off and back on and the errors would go away but not this time. They never told me what was wrong the first time so I have a feeling they don't really know. By the time the tow truck arrived the car was behaving 100% normal. They did not even give me a Tesla loaner but they told me to keep my gas receipts and they would reimburse me.

FYI.. Got the car back after 3 weeks and they blamed the errors on my dashcam & radar detector installation and they disconnected both and said the car is good.

LOL.. On the way back the car started throwing errors again and my emails back to the center were ignored. A week or so later my car started saying that my 12V battery also needed to be replaced. 2 Weeks later a Mobile Service rep came out with a replacement battery and 30 minutes later the car was back at throwing out more errors...

I think at this point I need to start looking for a Lawyer since I have been having random errors since I purchased this car and they apparently don't know what is wrong.

20180220_191203-2.jpg

FYI.. Got the car back after 3 weeks and they blamed the errors on my dashcam & radar detector installation and they disconnected both and said the car is good.

LOL.. On the way back the car started throwing errors again and my emails back to the center were ignored. A week or so later my car started saying that my 12V battery also needed to be replaced. 2 Weeks later a Mobile Service rep came out with a replacement battery and 30 minutes later the car was back at throwing out more errors...

I think at this point I need to start looking for a Lawyer since I have been having random errors since I purchased this car and they apparently don't know what is wrong.

View attachment 281856

Maybe you could ask Tesla for a full refund or a replacement vehicle. That's just my 2 cent's....

Maybe you could ask Tesla for a full refund or a replacement vehicle. That's just my 2 cent's....

I did tell them that this was my last attempt at getting it repaired or I will get a lawyer and file a Lemon Law suit. Last night on the way to dinner everything starting going nuts again and this time even the automatic high beams and wipers starting going crazy. High beams started flashing on and off and wipers were going on and off and it was not raining. Here is what some of the errors looked like:

https://youtu.be/OMUvAKwYo0Y
After dinner around an hour later the car was normal. It can be normal for a few days or even a few weeks before everything starts to fail again. I am really just getting tired of it already.

Does anyone have any executive contacts or do I have to write a letter to get to an executive. The Tesla NA has been notified many times but I need to get this escalated before it does a failure and causes an accident.

I did tell them that this was my last attempt at getting it repaired or I will get a lawyer and file a Lemon Law suit. Last night on the way to dinner everything starting going nuts again and this time even the automatic high beams and wipers starting going crazy. High beams started flashing on and off and wipers were going on and off and it was not raining. Here is what some of the errors looked like:

After dinner around an hour later the car was normal. It can be normal for a few days or even a few weeks before everything starts to fail again. I am really just getting tired of it already.

Does anyone have any executive contacts or do I have to write a letter to get to an executive. The Tesla NA has been notified many times but I need to get this escalated before it does a failure and causes an accident.

Wow that sucks! If my car was that problematic I would trade it.

I suggest escalation and trying to get a buyback agreement rather than lemoning it.

It seems like a problem that could be hard to diagnose but easy to fix, so rather than having the car labeled a lemon, Tesla would probably prefer to buy it back, fix the problem and CPO it.

I suggest escalation and trying to get a buyback agreement rather than lemoning it.

It seems like a problem that could be hard to diagnose but easy to fix, so rather than having the car labeled a lemon, Tesla would probably prefer to buy it back, fix the problem and CPO it.

I will try anything but getting anyone from Tesla to commit to do anything for me has been real hard. They either don't return my messages or tell me they are still trying to monitor my logs because they have no idea of the cause. I continue to drive it since its my daily driver even through its getting dangerous.

Guess Escalation form worked because I had someone get back to me to discuss my issues and Tesla is arranging for it to be towed back to the facility to do more research on it. Hopefully they can find the issue without keeping it another several weeks again.
I know these cars are like a mobile computer. I wonder sometimes if it can have a virus or get hacked and someone is screwing around with it. I’m no expert in that field so I’m just throwing that out there. I wish this thread would get out to many of the members on here as there are some very bright people on this site with vast amount of experience with the car and electronics.

Essentially gotta replace all the wiring/computer and hopefully it'll come out ok.

It'll be real trouble if the problems only started after the dashcam & radar detector installation.
I thought that as well but most of those things are aftermarket electronics that don’t get wired into the Tesla system. They only receive power from the 12v socket unless some modifications were made such as having them hard wired. That’s something that we don’t know yet. Sounds like some sort of software issue.

View attachment 281856
Did you have the dashcam and detector hard wired into the car or were they plugged into the 12v socket.