Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model X "BESS" Build Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone

I'll be tracking my mods and progress of "BESS". For those in the solar energy industry, you'll get where the name comes from…

Tesla Model X 75D built late Summer 2017. It's a 5 seater with Autopilot.

Planned list of mods:
  1. Paint Protection Film on Front
  2. Chrome Delete
  3. Audio System Upgrade
  4. Wrap interior trim
  5. Ipad mount for rear entertainment
  6. Paint calipers Acid Green
  7. Ceramic coat (maybe)
I started with T Sport Line TST 20" Gloss Black Wheels and 35% Window Tint.

2018-05-30 00_48_16-Photo - Google Photos.png

Customer service with T Sport Line has been great.

2018-05-30 00_47_13-Photo - Google Photos.png

More details to come!

Hey Everyone

I'll be tracking my mods and progress of "BESS". For those in the solar energy industry, you'll get where the name comes from…

Tesla Model X 75D built late Summer 2017. It's a 5 seater with Autopilot.

Planned list of mods:
  1. Paint Protection Film on Front
  2. Chrome Delete
  3. Audio System Upgrade
  4. Wrap interior trim
  5. Ipad mount for rear entertainment
  6. Paint calipers Acid Green
  7. Ceramic coat (maybe)
I started with T Sport Line TST 20" Gloss Black Wheels and 35% Window Tint.

View attachment 304803
Customer service with T Sport Line has been great.

View attachment 304804
More details to come!

Nice list. Def can’t wait to see it.

Hi what iPad mount are you using ?

Looking at SeaSucker or JoyFactory.

Trying to figure out a way to mount it so it looks OEM. I'm not a fan of the ones where the iPad is attached via grip/clip; in an accident, it will likely come loose. The SeaSucker seems like it's a secure connection on both ends.

2018-06-01 01_41_45-Amazon.com_ SeaSucker.png

This could be a good option but it requires that you use their case. I'd likely find a way to clamp or bolt the mount to the seat.

2018-06-01 01_57_41-Amazon.com_ The Joy Factory.png

Reactions: GalaxySurfer
What audio system upgrades? Do u have the premium sound?

I have the base audio system. I'm still working on the details of the system but here's the plan:

Speakers: Focal PS165 F3 (3-way Front Component Speakers)
Amp: Jl Audio XD 1000/5v2
Sub: JL Audio 12 W6v4 with custom enclosure
DSP: Audison BitTen

I'm meeting with the installer this week to discuss the install. What's interesting is that the installer comes from a hi-fi background and is recommending to only do the front speakers based on my budget. By doing the front speakers, it creates the concert-type sound stage. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of it but will listen to his demo car. We are leaving the stock speakers in place and running at a lower volume. There is one unknown, the BitTen might not have enough inputs so I might need to upgrade to the BitOne.

Any car audio nuts out there that can comment on this setup? Any way to reduce cost while maintaining sound quality?

Lastly, I don't listen to my music very loud so I'm looking for clear and crisp sound.

Focal.png
amp.png
sub.png
dsp.png

Last edited:
Reactions: GalaxySurfer
After being told a few times the trailer hitch was on back order for many weeks, I finally just placed the order and it only took 2 weeks to get it!

2018-06-25 17_03_42-Photo - Google Photos.png

2018-06-25 17_04_13-Photo - Google Photos.png

It's nice that with the Kuat NV 2.0 rack, the tailgate can open while in the upright position.

Any car audio nuts out there that can comment on this setup? Any way to reduce cost while maintaining sound quality?
I used to be fairly nuts but have gotten better...mostly. The gear you have listed there is very good stuff; Focal in particular is top-shelf, and JL Audio's subs are second to none.

The one thing I'm curious about with the X; generally high-end audio systems are complemented by extensive sound deadening efforts. The idea being, reducing the amount of ambient road/tire/wind noise the system has to compete with. Better sound and lower net volume levels, and Teslas should have potential for lower cruising DB levels than ICE equivalents. Also, when you have a system of such capability, it tends to make things buzz and rattle that might have been fine before.

Are you looking at adding Dynamat or other deadeners to your X? Would be curious how that goes, if you try it. Some non-audio-enthusiasts might be interested too, if it improves the ownership experience in regular use.

I used to be fairly nuts but have gotten better...mostly. The gear you have listed there is very good stuff; Focal in particular is top-shelf, and JL Audio's subs are second to none.

The one thing I'm curious about with the X; generally high-end audio systems are complemented by extensive sound deadening efforts. The idea being, reducing the amount of ambient road/tire/wind noise the system has to compete with. Better sound and lower net volume levels, and Teslas should have potential for lower cruising DB levels than ICE equivalents. Also, when you have a system of such capability, it tends to make things buzz and rattle that might have been fine before.

Are you looking at adding Dynamat or other deadeners to your X? Would be curious how that goes, if you try it. Some non-audio-enthusiasts might be interested too, if it improves the ownership experience in regular use.

Because I'm over my budget, I decided not to do anything extra in terms of sound dampening. However, my installer told me he would do some anyways at no cost; he'll determine what's necessary and take care of it.

On another note, my Sea Sucker ipad mount arrived today. Taking a trip tomorrow with the kids so we'll see how well it works.

2018-06-28 22_40_32-Photo - Google Photos.png

I’m a bit new at this; what do you mean with wrap the interior trim? Is that like a PPF for your interior? I’m looking at options for the exterior at the moment, but am wondering if I’m missing a trick with the interior.

I did get some protectors for the plastic bits on the floor as you get in/out of the FWDs, but that’s about it...

I’m a bit new at this; what do you mean with wrap the interior trim? Is that like a PPF for your interior? I’m looking at options for the exterior at the moment, but am wondering if I’m missing a trick with the interior.

I did get some protectors for the plastic bits on the floor as you get in/out of the FWDs, but that’s about it...

Correct ..this is exact same thing you put on door sills ...one area I can think of you would want to do on X is the rear plastic behind the driver, front passenger seat ..those areas can be wrapped with ppf film

For what it's worth, late Model S/X don't have glossy seat backs. They are matte soft-touch rubber/plastic material that seems relatively scratch-resistant, so there is no need to wrap this area anymore.

Reactions: Corbets
How was the iPad mount during the trip? Any issues?

Mount works well. Only issue is that the ipad sits a few inches from my head so if we got into an accident, it could be an issue.

I bought 2 cheap bluetooth headsets ($16 each) and a bluetooth adapter that allows the ipad to stream to 2 BT headsets simultaneously.

2018-08-18 00_10_35-Photo - Google Photos.png

Headphones:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HNMTCE2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BT Transmitter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EHSX28M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't care of the dark wood trim so it's being wrapped in CF. I pickup my X tomorrow but here's a peak at the trim:

2018-08-18 01_15_46-Photo - Google Photos.png