TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

My Model X "BESS" Build Thread

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ahkim, May 29, 2018.

1. ahkim

ahkim Member

Hey Everyone

I'll be tracking my mods and progress of "BESS". For those in the solar energy industry, you'll get where the name comes from…

Tesla Model X 75D built late Summer 2017. It's a 5 seater with Autopilot.

Planned list of mods:
    1. Paint Protection Film on Front
    2. Chrome Delete
    3. Audio System Upgrade
    4. Wrap interior trim
    5. Ipad mount for rear entertainment
    6. Paint calipers Acid Green
    7. Ceramic coat (maybe)
    I started with T Sport Line TST 20" Gloss Black Wheels and 35% Window Tint.

2018-05-30 00_48_16-Photo - Google Photos.png
    Customer service with T Sport Line has been great.

2018-05-30 00_47_13-Photo - Google Photos.png
    More details to come!

• Like x 2
  2. ZRitchey

ZRitchey Member

Awesome! Can’t wait to see the pics of your progress. Now get out in the garage and get busy! Lol

3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Hi what iPad mount are you using ?

4. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

Nice list. Def can’t wait to see it.

5. ahkim

ahkim Member

Looking at SeaSucker or JoyFactory.

Trying to figure out a way to mount it so it looks OEM. I'm not a fan of the ones where the iPad is attached via grip/clip; in an accident, it will likely come loose. The SeaSucker seems like it's a secure connection on both ends.

2018-06-01 01_41_45-Amazon.com_ SeaSucker.png
    This could be a good option but it requires that you use their case. I'd likely find a way to clamp or bolt the mount to the seat.

2018-06-01 01_57_41-Amazon.com_ The Joy Factory.png

• Like x 1
  6. ToddS

ToddS Member

What audio system upgrades? Do u have the premium sound?

7. ahkim

ahkim Member

#7 ahkim, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    I have the base audio system. I'm still working on the details of the system but here's the plan:

Speakers: Focal PS165 F3 (3-way Front Component Speakers)
    Amp: Jl Audio XD 1000/5v2
    Sub: JL Audio 12 W6v4 with custom enclosure
    DSP: Audison BitTen

I'm meeting with the installer this week to discuss the install. What's interesting is that the installer comes from a hi-fi background and is recommending to only do the front speakers based on my budget. By doing the front speakers, it creates the concert-type sound stage. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of it but will listen to his demo car. We are leaving the stock speakers in place and running at a lower volume. There is one unknown, the BitTen might not have enough inputs so I might need to upgrade to the BitOne.

Any car audio nuts out there that can comment on this setup? Any way to reduce cost while maintaining sound quality?

Lastly, I don't listen to my music very loud so I'm looking for clear and crisp sound.

Focal.png amp.png sub.png dsp.png

• Like x 1
  8. ahkim

ahkim Member

Finally put the black lug nut covers on...much better.

2018-06-15 23_19_42-Photo - Google Photos.png
    2018-06-15 23_22_35-Photo - Google Photos.png

2018-06-15 23_22_52-Photo - Google Photos.png 2018-06-15 23_23_07-Photo - Google Photos.png 2018-06-15 23_23_26-Photo - Google Photos.png

• Like x 1
  9. ahkim

ahkim Member

After being told a few times the trailer hitch was on back order for many weeks, I finally just placed the order and it only took 2 weeks to get it!

2018-06-25 17_03_42-Photo - Google Photos.png

2018-06-25 17_04_13-Photo - Google Photos.png

It's nice that with the Kuat NV 2.0 rack, the tailgate can open while in the upright position.

10. j-rho

j-rho Member

I used to be fairly nuts but have gotten better...mostly. The gear you have listed there is very good stuff; Focal in particular is top-shelf, and JL Audio's subs are second to none.

The one thing I'm curious about with the X; generally high-end audio systems are complemented by extensive sound deadening efforts. The idea being, reducing the amount of ambient road/tire/wind noise the system has to compete with. Better sound and lower net volume levels, and Teslas should have potential for lower cruising DB levels than ICE equivalents. Also, when you have a system of such capability, it tends to make things buzz and rattle that might have been fine before.

Are you looking at adding Dynamat or other deadeners to your X? Would be curious how that goes, if you try it. Some non-audio-enthusiasts might be interested too, if it improves the ownership experience in regular use.

• Like x 2
  11. ahkim

ahkim Member

Because I'm over my budget, I decided not to do anything extra in terms of sound dampening. However, my installer told me he would do some anyways at no cost; he'll determine what's necessary and take care of it.

On another note, my Sea Sucker ipad mount arrived today. Taking a trip tomorrow with the kids so we'll see how well it works.

2018-06-28 22_40_32-Photo - Google Photos.png

• Like x 4
    • Love x 2
  12. ahkim

ahkim Member

We had some nice weather so I did a quick detail. So what are people using for their tires? I'm trying Chemical Guys VRP and it looks great but it doesn't seem to last very long. Used 303 on the black trim around the wheels and bottom.

2018-07-02 00_59_48-Photo - Google Photos.png 2018-07-02 01_00_36-Photo - Google Photos.png

• Like x 1
  13. 1dirtypanda

1dirtypanda Member

How did u mount that iPad? Did u have to screw holes in?

• Disagree x 1
  14. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

How was the iPad mount during the trip? Any issues?

15. Brave Ulysses

Brave Ulysses Member

It’s a suction cup mount to the glass

• Like x 1
  16. Corbets

Corbets Member

I’m a bit new at this; what do you mean with wrap the interior trim? Is that like a PPF for your interior? I’m looking at options for the exterior at the moment, but am wondering if I’m missing a trick with the interior.

I did get some protectors for the plastic bits on the floor as you get in/out of the FWDs, but that’s about it...

17. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Correct ..this is exact same thing you put on door sills ...one area I can think of you would want to do on X is the rear plastic behind the driver, front passenger seat ..those areas can be wrapped with ppf film

• Like x 1
  18. spectrum

spectrum Member

For what it's worth, late Model S/X don't have glossy seat backs. They are matte soft-touch rubber/plastic material that seems relatively scratch-resistant, so there is no need to wrap this area anymore.

• Like x 1
  19. ahkim

ahkim Member

Mount works well. Only issue is that the ipad sits a few inches from my head so if we got into an accident, it could be an issue.

I bought 2 cheap bluetooth headsets ($16 each) and a bluetooth adapter that allows the ipad to stream to 2 BT headsets simultaneously.

2018-08-18 00_10_35-Photo - Google Photos.png

Headphones:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HNMTCE2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BT Transmitter:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EHSX28M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't care of the dark wood trim so it's being wrapped in CF. I pickup my X tomorrow but here's a peak at the trim:

2018-08-18 01_15_46-Photo - Google Photos.png

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

My PPF guy said it's not as adherent to the non-glossy backs so they don't offer it anymore.

• Informative x 1