Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model X featured on my neighbor's YouTube Channel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was different about that video from most I've seen on the Model X was that the driver being filmed apparently had never driven a Tesla before (unless he's a good actor and was pretending, which I doubt). The person sitting in the passenger seat I assume was the owner, and he was pretty trusting to allow the driver to use Autopilot without explaining in advance how it worked. I suppose he wanted to film the driver's real-time first impressions but watching it made me nervous.

The owner described the TACC numerical settings as "car lengths", but they are not (this has been extensively discussed on TMC and in my opinion the consensus is that they are not car lengths). The owner even pointed out that at low speeds the distance TACC maintained from the lead vehicle was less than at higher speeds even though the TACC setting was the same.

The owner stated that the car has "blind spot detection" that is active when an Auto Lane Change is initiated, though he warned that it isn't perfect. Certainly that is true, but the impression given was that the blind spot detection would prevent the car from doing an Auto Lane Change if it detected another vehicle in the way. I suppose that is sort of correct, but am interested in hearing from current EAP users on that issue.

The owner also stated that Auto Pilot (EAP in this case) could not yet detect and display on the screen cars that were in adjacent lanes. Is that correct? I know that AP can do that and I thought EAP had caught up with AP for that feature.

Regardless, it is always fun to see a first time Tesla driver become aware of the many amazing features of the cars!