Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model X is SMOKING???

Chris TX

Sep 30, 2013
Dallas, TX
I would have the Service Center pull the frunk tub and remove the front underbody plastics, to give it a thorough once over. The compressor does get very hot, and if something plastic or rubber touches it, and it's not supposed to, it could be melting.

Reactions: K-MTG

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
I am contacting service in the morning, lots of slimy fluid dripping from the front of the car. But I was able to still drive it. Hopefully I can get an appointment ASAP instead of 2-3 weeks

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Dropped the car at service this morning, gave them a checklist with my issues. I am hoping they will be able to fix everything I included in my previous Tesla build quality video and this oil leak issue. I will post an updated video once I get my car back.

I got a X 90D loaner which was a built in May, 2016 (the same month as my X) and the VIN is roughly 400 apart. However, the fit and finish is much better. It has no rattling or thumping issues, the seals are clean, and I don't see any panel misalignment. I will look out for ghosting tonight.

xkwizit

Jan 12, 2016
Folsom, CA, United States
You are lucky Rocklin SC doesn't have any X loaners. They did get us a Yukon rental from Hertz in place of the S loaner and they were nice enough to come by and exchange the cars. Just that my wife hated driving that huge truck doing the carpool this morning

hill

Apr 21, 2015
Lake Forest, CA
.......snip...... the fit and finish is much better. It has no rattling or thumping issues, the seals are clean, and I don't see any panel misalignment. I will look out for ghosting tonight.
what's the news for ghosting on your loaner ... same? / less? / more?

ming

Oct 22, 2016
Irvine, CA
I'm surprised they had a tesla loaner for you. I took mine in for suspension issue less than a month after delivery and they didn't have any ;). Definitely curious as to why your car is leaking though. Keep us posted!

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
I'm surprised they had a tesla loaner for you. I took mine in for suspension issue less than a month after delivery and they didn't have any ;). Definitely curious as to why your car is leaking though. Keep us posted!

I always got Tesla loaners on all of my service appointments, this is the first time getting an X. Previously it was always an S

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Got the car back from service, it was the refrigerant! Glad it wasn't anything major.

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.43.52 AM.png

McManX

Feb 23, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Just got mine back from annual service and they swapped the A/C lines even though I didn't ask. Said they check all the early builds as they come in because it's a know issue that the lines are swapped. Same with the front latches.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Just got mine back from annual service and they swapped the A/C lines even though I didn't ask. Said they check all the early builds as they come in because it's a know issue that the lines are swapped. Same with the front latches.

On my service bulletin they noted that the front latches need to be replaced but they didn't have any in stock

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC