Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model X May Have Saved My Life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got in a terrible accident yesterday (will leave the details scant but I was not at fault). Escaped with only minor injuries when I had no right to. My baby girl did her job and took all of the impact it could, saving me from most of it. Unfortunately that means Gray Matter is no longer part of our family.

She will be honored by Gray Matter 2.0, a Plaid X I ordered this morning. Tesla is telling me October, but they are optimistic I will have it sooner.

Stay safe out there guys and gals. You never know when something out of your control can happen. I am doubling down on driving the world’s safest SUV.

86552D0D-A0EA-4716-80A1-F2203905B92B.jpeg

71075DF2-6FE4-4207-89D5-D68FE29C27F4.jpeg

Hmmm... So scary, but have you gotten checked out by a doc? Maybe a good pre-caution to do so. If crash was at 50 mph, thats a lot of force and stress on your insides when you crashed. Your car took the brunt of the external crash so you were able to walk away and now have minor bruising but internally your ligaments holding your organs in place could have been stretched out sometimes causing internal issues - in brain its called coup and contra-coup injury. Not to scare you or to be an alarmist... but just to be extra cautious and get checked out... (a tiny bit of unsolicited advice from a tiny voice somewhere in the vast internet by someone with unicorn cupcakes pictured on their profile page... 😬)
Thank you for the advice; it is appreciated. I have been checked out. Everything is good “long term” except a broken pinky.

Reactions: eeee-meeee
I’d be lying if I said I haven’t looked at a LOT of cars the last 5 weeks. Rivian, Taycan (that I almost pulled the trigger on), Plaid S, etc. Should be getting my Model Y Performance in “grey” 3/10-3/31. Couldn’t justify the $130k with tax for a replacement X. Staying with Tesla though, and a “similar” model. From what I’ve seen of the crash tests, the Y should be just as safe, if not more so…

I’d be lying if I said I haven’t looked at a LOT of cars the last 5 weeks. Rivian, Taycan (that I almost pulled the trigger on), Plaid S, etc. Should be getting my Model Y Performance in “grey” 3/10-3/31. Couldn’t justify the $130k with tax for a replacement X. Staying with Tesla though, and a “similar” model. From what I’ve seen of the crash tests, the Y should be just as safe, if not more so…
Sounds good. I looked hard at the Y when I ordered my replacement X. The issue I had was the rough ride even in the standard Y, let alone the performance version. Anywhere the pavement was not very smooth the car was too harsh for me. Hopefully, where you are in Texas has smoother roads than California. I own a home in Round Rock and the roads there are pretty decent.

Reactions: wreighven
I test drove the Performance Y this past weekend on some pretty rough roads in Northern Dallas, and I must say the ride was totally fine. I think it’s because I always had my X in Low to avoid the shuddering problem (or at least mask it), so I might be already used to a sporty ride. My 16 year old son totally unprompted said it felt better than the X. Strange.

The seats were also remarkably comfortable (more so than the ones in my ‘20 X). I think they’ve come a long way on the 3 and Y since they were originally released.

The Taycan Turbo almost got me though. That car was amazing, but literally $100K more expensive than the Y…

Reactions: jboy210
Sounds good. I looked hard at the Y when I ordered my replacement X. The issue I had was the rough ride even in the standard Y, let alone the performance version. Anywhere the pavement was not very smooth the car was too harsh for me. Hopefully, where you are in Texas has smoother roads than California. I own a home in Round Rock and the roads there are pretty decent.
You're 100% correct. I rode the 2022 Model 3 over the weekend; the rough ride and the wind noise wasn't fun. The Y is probably the same.

• Disagree
You're 100% correct. I rode the 2022 Model 3 over the weekend; the rough ride and the wind noise wasn't fun. The Y is probably the same.
Respectfully disagree. This was not my experience at all when I test drove a ‘22 MYP two weeks ago. The ride quality and sound level was better in the MYP than my ‘20 LR+ X. My son who sits in the back was the first to notice (so I don’t think it was copium). I think it was because I drove my X in Low suspension setting to mitigate / reduce shudder. The MYP was a solid and comfortable ride (and the seats were amaking; way better than the ones in my X or my 1794 Edition Tundra).

Reactions: tengtengvn
Respectfully disagree. This was not my experience at all when I test drove a ‘22 MYP two weeks ago. The ride quality and sound level was better in the MYP than my ‘20 LR+ X. My son who sits in the back was the first to notice (so I don’t think it was copium). I think it was because I drove my X in Low suspension setting to mitigate / reduce shudder. The MYP was a solid and comfortable ride (and the seats were amaking; way better than the ones in my X or my 1794 Edition Tundra).
That makes me want to test drive the Y. What was the weather conditions when you drove the Y?
The seats, the noise level and the ride quality of the 3 are no-go items for us. We drove it through the mountain roads and the pacific coast highway. I'd say we haven't experienced a car that noisy, let alone a luxury car.

That makes me want to test drive the Y. What was the weather conditions when you drove the Y?
The seats, the noise level and the ride quality of the 3 are no-go items for us. We drove it through the mountain roads and the pacific coast highway. I'd say we haven't experienced a car that noisy, let alone a luxury car.
I tend to agree. My X was In the shop for sensor replacement a couple of weeks ago, and they gave me Model Y as a loaner. I was impressed by the quietness and comfort. In fact I ordered one as a result. If I give up waiting for my new X, I might switch over to the Y.

I tend to agree. My X was In the shop for sensor replacement a couple of weeks ago, and they gave me Model Y as a loaner. I was impressed by the quietness and comfort. In fact I ordered one as a result. If I give up waiting for my new X, I might switch over to the Y.

The wind noise from my front windows in the X is so loud! I did notice how the Y was much quieter.