Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model X May Have Saved My Life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got in a terrible accident yesterday (will leave the details scant but I was not at fault). Escaped with only minor injuries when I had no right to. My baby girl did her job and took all of the impact it could, saving me from most of it. Unfortunately that means Gray Matter is no longer part of our family.

She will be honored by Gray Matter 2.0, a Plaid X I ordered this morning. Tesla is telling me October, but they are optimistic I will have it sooner.

Stay safe out there guys and gals. You never know when something out of your control can happen. I am doubling down on driving the world’s safest SUV.

86552D0D-A0EA-4716-80A1-F2203905B92B.jpeg

71075DF2-6FE4-4207-89D5-D68FE29C27F4.jpeg

Almost every wrecked X outcome I've seen makes me glad the wife and kid are safer in one. They are tanks. What speed was this impact? Do you know how many of the airbags deployed? It's hard to tell but they must have played a major role in you not sustaining any injuries.

Reactions: wreighven
I agree @blitzpa - they are tanks! I think I was going 50mph at the time of the impact. I know ALL of the driver area airbags deployed (steering wheel, upper side), and I think the front passenger ones did too (but I honestly wasn't paying attention since I was the only one in the car).

Isn't there a knee airbag on these? I thought there was

edit: yep - Model X Owner's Manual | Tesla

Glad you're ok. Looks like the door frame stayed intact and operable and the glass all stayed put

Amazing what you can do with a front crush zone when there's nothing but stuff that can smash reasonably easily up front

Is that the inner rim and wheel barrel ripped out by the upright on the front left? Holy hell

Last edited:

Glad you're ok. Looks like the door frame stayed intact and operable and the glass all stayed put

Amazing what you can do with a front crush zone when there's nothing but stuff that can smash reasonably easily up front

Is that the inner rim and wheel barrel ripped out by the upright on the front left? Holy hell
Yep. The front crush zone with the pre-notched weak points took up a lot of the energy as it deformed as designed. Good safety engineering at Tesla.

Got in a terrible accident yesterday (will leave the details scant but I was not at fault). Escaped with only minor injuries when I had no right to. My baby girl did her job and took all of the impact it could, saving me from most of it. Unfortunately that means Gray Matter is no longer part of our family.

She will be honored by Gray Matter 2.0, a Plaid X I ordered this morning. Tesla is telling me October, but they are optimistic I will have it sooner.

Stay safe out there guys and gals. You never know when something out of your control can happen. I am doubling down on driving the world’s safest SUV.

View attachment 757962

View attachment 757964
Wow, whatta mess! I'm happy that you're OK. Gonna hold a memorial service for Gray Matter?

Sorry but glad she took one for you. This is probably among the worst times to be in an accident as far as getting replacement. Glad you are okay and I imagine still a bit in body shock. Happens so fast and I think the body takes a while to catch up. Hope your wait on Gray Matter 2.0 is shorter than estimated.

Good thing I think that might come out of it is some of the parts from her might get other owners on the road sooner. So she kind of lives again?

Door frame was definitely compromised. The front windshield had some spider veining as those A pillars were definitely warped from the impact. I had trouble getting my door open and really had to push hard. I think I remember seeing the knee airbags. Yup ripped wheel barrel. Good times LOL.

Sorry but glad she took one for you. This is probably among the worst times to be in an accident as far as getting replacement. Glad you are okay and I imagine still a bit in body shock. Happens so fast and I think the body takes a while to catch up. Hope your wait on Gray Matter 2.0 is shorter than estimated.

Good thing I think that might come out of it is some of the parts from her might get other owners on the road sooner. So she kind of lives again?
All of my bruises are really starting to pop out now. I feel like a leopard getting my spots LOL. Lots of bruises, a couple of gashed on my hand, and a broken pinky. Not bad, considering…

Reactions: IdaX and SMAlset
All of my bruises are really starting to pop out now. I feel like a leopard getting my spots LOL. Lots of bruises, a couple of gashed on my hand, and a broken pinky. Not bad, considering…
Hmmm... So scary, but have you gotten checked out by a doc? Maybe a good pre-caution to do so. If crash was at 50 mph, thats a lot of force and stress on your insides when you crashed. Your car took the brunt of the external crash so you were able to walk away and now have minor bruising but internally your ligaments holding your organs in place could have been stretched out sometimes causing internal issues - in brain its called coup and contra-coup injury. Not to scare you or to be an alarmist... but just to be extra cautious and get checked out... (a tiny bit of unsolicited advice from a tiny voice somewhere in the vast internet by someone with unicorn cupcakes pictured on their profile page... 😬)