Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model X Order Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I'm a young tesla dude, owned my first 2016 Model S 75D when I was 24, Just ordered my first Model X at the beginning of October.

I sold my S, wanted new tech and even though I don't 100% love the look the X, I love the tech behind it.

My wife and I went to the Tesla store (No kids but maybe in the next 1-3 years) and we test drove the DM LR Raven Model X. The wife fell in love and said she wants one. We ordered the FSD Metalic LR Model X 6 seater with included wheels right there in the store. So easy and comfortable.

Amber from the Tesla store helped us and has been in contact with me 1-2 a week. She's been awesome.

I received my VIN today, and I take delivery on the 28th! What defects should I look for when I take delivery?

Quick side questions, will my X have 3.0 and new MCU? I think from what I have read it's a yes.

I will continue the experience once I take delivery. Very excited!

Congrats!

There is a delivery checklist floating around here - and many swear it helped them at delivery. I did not use a checklist - but might be worthwhile to you at delivery as others pointed out.

One thing that I missed at delivery is a defective Falcon Wing Door sensor - mentioned in this thread: Poll: NEW Model X Delivery Experience 2019

I recommend testing all doors (and sensors) before driving the X off the delivery place. There are indicators seen in the screen when obstacles are detected by the sensors. I almost crashed the LH Falcon Wing Door inside my garage (first day, arriving at home) as the door sensor was not working.

20191021_195217.jpg

Congrats!

There is a delivery checklist floating around here - and many swear it helped them at delivery. I did not use a checklist - but might be worthwhile to you at delivery as others pointed out.

One thing that I missed at delivery is a defective Falcon Wing Door sensor - mentioned in this thread: Poll: NEW Model X Delivery Experience 2019

I recommend testing all doors (and sensors) before driving the X off the delivery place. There are indicators seen in the screen when obstacles are detected by the sensors. I almost crashed the LH Falcon Wing Door inside my garage (first day, arriving at home) as the door sensor was not working.

View attachment 468708

This is awesome advice! Thank you so much!

Any USB you would recommend for capturing video?

Any USB you would recommend for capturing video?

My favorite:

$72.40 SanDisk SDCZ880-256G-G46 Extreme PRO 256GB USB 3.1 Solid State Flash Drive

It's pricy but it's a solid-state disk drive in the form of a USB stick.

...will my X have 3.0 and new MCU?

New MCU 2 started more than 1.5 years ago in March 2018.

New Self Driving Computer 3.0 in the S and X assembly lines more than 6 months ago in March 2019.

Congratulations!

I recently purchased a 2019 used and had the owner go over every thing, every option and every function to ensure I was getting what I was paying for. It was perfect and not one issue so far with my model X. LOVE it!! I would do the same thing eith a new one, verify and look for dents, misfits of doors and seams. Check wheels for curb rash or any wheel blemish. Check all seats for scuffs or tears/ scratches. Wishing you all the best on your new X.

I recently purchased a 2019 used and had the owner go over every thing, every option and every function to ensure I was getting what I was paying for. It was perfect and not one issue so far with my model X. LOVE it!! I would do the same thing eith a new one, verify and look for dents, misfits of doors and seams. Check wheels for curb rash or any wheel blemish. Check all seats for scuffs or tears/ scratches. Wishing you all the best on your new X.
Awesome! Great advice and tips! Thank you very much!

UPDATE: So far my delivery experience is not great.

I was supposed to take delivery this past monday, it got moved because it's a 2020 model and they can't legally give it to me before Nov. 1st. Im leaving the country Saturday the 2nd. They said they could do today (The 31st) Got another call saying it will have to be Nov. 1st because it's not been delivered. Then checked the portal, almost 6PM here and no call but my Delivery date is now changed to Saturday at 2PM when my flight is. Hahah. What is going on? I don't feel like I am getting told the truth here... Super disappointed.

Sorry to hear that. I'm probably going to order a Model X soon, but I'm terrified it will be ready for delivery while we're out of town for the holidays. In that situation, will they hold it? Or do they sell it to someone else and you have to wait for another? I feel like I need to thread a needle for a delivery where I'm in town and there's still some tax credit.

UPDATE: So far my delivery experience is not great.

I was supposed to take delivery this past monday, it got moved because it's a 2020 model and they can't legally give it to me before Nov. 1st. Im leaving the country Saturday the 2nd. They said they could do today (The 31st) Got another call saying it will have to be Nov. 1st because it's not been delivered. Then checked the portal, almost 6PM here and no call but my Delivery date is now changed to Saturday at 2PM when my flight is. Hahah. What is going on? I don't feel like I am getting told the truth here... Super disappointed.

I'm not far from you. I ordered my Model X out of Tampa on 10/23 but I do not have a VIN yet. Everything has been approved, and I've accepted their offer to buy my trade-in. Can you please advise the date you actually placed your order and when you got your VIN? Ironically, I am also sweating out the delivery. I have plans to take my family out West in mid-December and will be gone for 3 weeks, so I am hoping delivery is before then, about 5 weeks away now.

This is my first Tesla and one of the strangest things about this purchase experience is how bad the communication is, and how sales staff don't really seem to care if you buy or not. Then again, I guess that's better than the typical high-pressure sales experience. A little better communication would be nice. If I text my salesman, I'm lucky to hear back within 3 days at times.

Reactions: racerx43
I'm not far from you. I ordered my Model X out of Tampa on 10/23 but I do not have a VIN yet. Everything has been approved, and I've accepted their offer to buy my trade-in. Can you please advise the date you actually placed your order and when you got your VIN? Ironically, I am also sweating out the delivery. I have plans to take my family out West in mid-December and will be gone for 3 weeks, so I am hoping delivery is before then, about 5 weeks away now.

This is my first Tesla and one of the strangest things about this purchase experience is how bad the communication is, and how sales staff don't really seem to care if you buy or not. Then again, I guess that's better than the typical high-pressure sales experience. A little better communication would be nice. If I text my salesman, I'm lucky to hear back within 3 days at times.

I hope it works out, but don't be shocked it does not. Tesla builds cars in batches and someone said they were working on the batches of X's speced for Europe. Hopefully when Tesla get Gigafactory 4 going in Berlin this will be a think of the past, but today this impacts deliveries.

I hope it works out, but don't be shocked it does not. Tesla builds cars in batches and someone said they were working on the batches of X's speced for Europe. Hopefully when Tesla get Gigafactory 4 going in Berlin this will be a think of the past, but today this impacts deliveries.

Thanks, and things just developed quickly. Just got this text:

Your Model X is in transit and ready to be scheduled! Select an available delivery appointment time now at _______________. If you have not selected an appointment by tonight we will assign and notify you of your delivery appointment. A Tesla representative will reach out to confirm your appointment before your delivery day.

When I logged in this morning I still didn't even have a VIN