Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model X trying to "Self-Engage" Autopilot???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to post this here to see if this is happening to anyone else, or just me. At first I thought it might be a 1-off glitch, but this happened to me 3 times just yesterday alone over about 400km of driving.

Scenario 1: Disengaged Autopilot about 30 seconds to a minute before this happened, as I was changing lanes using an indicator, the car briefly (For about a second to 2 seconds) took over control from me, and pushed against my direction, and started flashing the red alarm and screaming to take over. I thought maybe it was some kind of lane departure and maybe I did something wrong here so thought ok.

Scenario 2: Disengaged Autopilot maybe 4-5 minutes before by taking over control of steering wheel (kept TACC on). Driving straight in my lane, and the above happened again. Car briefly for a second took control and stiffened the steering. Pushed my car away from the centre line markings. I thought maybe this might have been some kind of lane departure assistant (I know the actual warning is a rumble) so I again ignored it.

Scenario 3: No TACC and No Autopilot used for >5 mins. Was driving in the right lane. And I know for a fact that this time I was as close to dead centre in the lane you can be, but the car did this again. Flashing red and asking me to take over and at the same time taking over control of the steering.

I'm going to ask Tesla to pull the logs, but anytime anything has happened in the past I've never really heard back anything from them. At the third scenario I've marked down timings and everything (didn't think of doing so in the first 2).

Seems a little dangerous, especially given I was driving on the highway at highway speeds.

Wanted to see if this has happened to others?

I'm on firmware: 2018.2 0eddd23

Wanted to post this here to see if this is happening to anyone else, or just me. At first I thought it might be a 1-off glitch, but this happened to me 3 times just yesterday alone over about 400km of driving.
<snip>
I'm going to ask Tesla to pull the logs, but anytime anything has happened in the past I've never really heard back anything from them. At the third scenario I've marked down timings and everything (didn't think of doing so in the first 2).
Seems a little dangerous, especially given I was driving on the highway at highway speeds.
I'm on firmware: 2018.2 0eddd23
You are doing the Tesla community a favor if you escalate this. It clearly is not a one-off if you saw it multiple times. If there is a software problem or validity checks missing then it should be corrected ASAP.

I would contact your service center and escalate it. You don't want logs to be overlaid as time goes by.

From your tesla logged in account use this:

RoJUNRd.jpg

Are you sure it is AP or "Tesla Autopilot’s Forward Collision Warning System"
Tesla Autopilot’s new radar technology predicts an accident caught on dashcam a second later

I have seem a few times when I am coming up on cars that are slowing maybe faster then me I here this sound and my car Turns RED and more (not sure exactly what I see in the IC). But I normally react quickly and slow down.

Yep, impossible as especially the 3rd time there were no cars on the road.

Plus it wasn’t the car in front of me that turned red, it was the grab steering wheel warning, where the car panics.

I’ve seen the forward collision far too many times when trying to overtake someone etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Well, I can relate to this as well, partly.
I use AP a lot on highways, with 'Auto lane change' off (its simply to 'jerky', needs over 3 seconds to allow me to go back in my lane after over taking and 1 out of 10 times it just won't change lanes / does not give me a dotted blue line).
Having Auto lane change set to off, my model X will disengage AP at once when I turn on the blinker and slightly turn the wheel.
Although it's annoying hearing the 'bing bong' all the time, it works.
But, 1 out of 25 times (guessing), about 2-3 seconds after IAP has been disengaged (bing bong) and I'm half way changing lanes, a red alert comes up shortly and loud warning chimes sounds, mentioning that "Vehicle is leaving lane, take over now" (or something like that, as the message pops up for less than a second).

This warning is strange as AP has been turned of then already for a few seconds. And no, I do not have lane departure warning on and it's not the collision warning.
It kind of depends how 'fast' I change lanes.
It's annoying and seems like a bug where AP is still kind of active.
In contrast to the OP, my X (75D okt 2017, fw2018.2) does not apply any tork to the wheel.

@mattack4000 and @MelaniainLA: not sure if you are replying to the OP, but your comments do not apply to my situation.
I understand the TACC intelligence and all, but it sure is strange that it warns me drifting while the blinker is on. And there sure is no object beside me while changing lanes?
Not sure if my observations are related to the findings of the OP, but these are my 2 cents.

Well, I can relate to this as well, partly.
I use AP a lot on highways, with 'Auto lane change' off (its simply to 'jerky', needs over 3 seconds to allow me to go back in my lane after over taking and 1 out of 10 times it just won't change lanes / does not give me a dotted blue line).
Having Auto lane change set to off, my model X will disengage AP at once when I turn on the blinker and slightly turn the wheel.
Although it's annoying hearing the 'bing bong' all the time, it works.
But, 1 out of 25 times (guessing), about 2-3 seconds after IAP has been disengaged (bing bong) and I'm half way changing lanes, a red alert comes up shortly and loud warning chimes sounds, mentioning that "Vehicle is leaving lane, take over now" (or something like that, as the message pops up for less than a second).

This warning is strange as AP has been turned of then already for a few seconds. And no, I do not have lane departure warning on and it's not the collision warning.
It kind of depends how 'fast' I change lanes.
It's annoying and seems like a bug where AP is still kind of active.
In contrast to the OP, my X (75D okt 2017, fw2018.2) does not apply any tork to the wheel.

Actually what happened to you is the exact thing I got. I do recall seeing the warning "vehicle is leaving lane, take over now" on at least one of the times this happened.

However its strange that my wheel did apply torque but yours did not. Same Firmware, both 75D's.

Read the manual on the section about tacc and car might pull the car toward the center if you drift toward a lane, part of the safety features with cruise only on

That'll explain one of the situations where I had TACC on (Situation 2), but doesn't explain the other 2.

This is side collision avoidance kicking in. When you're not driving on AP, you're driving dangerously close to walls and obstacles and the car is trying to save you from a collision by temporarily taking over for you. Problem solved!!

There were no cars on either side of me. The third time this happened it was past 3am, and the highway was completely empty. We have wide shoulders on both sides here, so no barrier either.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 6.15.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 6.15.14 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 74

I noticed this morning for the second time in 3 days that my MX was in cruise control (Not full Autodrive, just speed control) that I in no way intended to start. I have had my MX for 18 months now, over 29,000 km, and never had this happen, now twice after most recent update.

Made me wonder this morning if it was a glitch, but nothing definitive, just an eerie feeling. Third time and I am calling Tesla.

version 2018.4.1 ec044c8

Actually what happened to you is the exact thing I got. I do recall seeing the warning "vehicle is leaving lane, take over now" on at least one of the times this happened.

However its strange that my wheel did apply torque but yours did not. Same Firmware, both 75D's.

That'll explain one of the situations where I had TACC on (Situation 2), but doesn't explain the other 2.

There were no cars on either side of me. The third time this happened it was past 3am, and the highway was completely empty. We have wide shoulders on both sides here, so no barrier either.

QEW?

I notice the issue when im on 401 (between 427 & 410) Eastbound

After disengaging AP by applying force on steering wheel, then I got take over immediately message.

My car is currently in SC, Tech told me its the FW issue (Im 17.50.3 and AP2)

As my FWD sensor is missing in the door, the car refuse to install 18.4.5, and SC is working to replace the sensor first then try to install FW update again.

Oakville SC is working around the clock today and tomorrow to figure out issue, also the HQ Tech is checking as well.

QEW?

I notice the issue when im on 401 (between 427 & 410) Eastbound

After disengaging AP by applying force on steering wheel, then I got take over immediately message.

My car is currently in SC, Tech told me its the FW issue (Im 17.50.3 and AP2)

As my FWD sensor is missing in the door, the car refuse to install 18.4.5, and SC is working to replace the sensor first then try to install FW update again.

Oakville SC is working around the clock today and tomorrow to figure out issue, also the HQ Tech is checking as well.

Yessir QEW. I usually take my car to Oakville as well.

Interesting, your sensor is missing? I had an issue last night where by using summon, the car nearly hit my garage. Less than a cm of space, I stopped it right before it hit. Now I’m wondering if this is due to a faulty sensor as well

This is side collision avoidance kicking in. When you're not driving on AP, you're driving dangerously close to walls and obstacles and the car is trying to save you from a collision by temporarily taking over for you. Problem solved!!

From the description, I suspect this is exactly what the car thinks is happening. Given the OP's confusion, I suspect the car's understanding of the situation may be in error.

Was the push consistently in the same direction? Maybe there are some malfunctioning sensors or sensor connections that are causing the car to think you're about to hit things...

Yessir QEW. I usually take my car to Oakville as well.

Interesting, your sensor is missing? I had an issue last night where by using summon, the car nearly hit my garage. Less than a cm of space, I stopped it right before it hit. Now I’m wondering if this is due to a faulty sensor as well

Just got back my car from Oakville SC
Tech says 18.4.5 should reduce issues after disengaging autopilot by steering wheel, give a try.

Give them the time stamp + exact location when the issue happens

They can pull the computer to see if it’s the faulty left side sensor contribute the issue. (Hey FWD I am looking at you)

I mean, it’s quite dangerous when those unxpected behavior happens...