Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y has a pedestrian speaker installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine doesn’t yet my model 3 does
Hmm, interesting. Maybe Tesla is using the 50% "loophole" for the Model Y? The regulation required 50% of new EVs/hybrids to have the noisemaker by Sept. 2019 and 100% by Sept. 2020. When Tesla implemented this on all Model 3s starting last year, I thought they didn't want to bother playing the math game and complicating production by building half one way and the half another.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I don't hear anything how would I know? Did you take apart the frunk?
The PWS audio is pretty noticeable to pedestrians (by design) and can be heard inside the car if your windows are rolled down. The sound is enabled when the car is traveling less than about 19 mph, otherwise, it's silent. Here's a video that includes Model 3 PWS sounds at various speeds in forward and reverse, both from inside and outside the car. Note the PWS audio changes volume and pitch depending on the direction and speed of the car.

People don't seem to hear me either and I don't want to honk the horn at them. The Volt my daughter drives has a pedestrian horn I wonder why we don't have something like that.

I really liked having the horn burble available in the Volt. I actually mostly used it on distracted drivers in front of me in turn lanes, but it really came in handy.

It doesn’t meet the requirements this pedestrian alert is made to comply with, and I’m not sure any other car was ever made with one, but I really liked having it.