Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y has a pedestrian speaker installed

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
I have no sound. So I am hoping we can get a speaker for free.
They aren't required until September 2020 so they won't be providing one for free. You could probably order one from the Model 3 parts catalog and see if it would work on the Model Y. It's possible a firmware update will be required before it would work.

52 16 57 39

BioDiesel & Electrons
Nov 20, 2020
Tacoma, WA
May/June 2020 build MYP - and I do not have any pedestrian warning system that I’m aware of.

I have not looked for a speaker, as I don’t hear any noises ever and I don’t want one... yet - unless they are customizable w coconut or jaws or similar sounds - the stock PWS noises are terrible.

Reactions: EVNation

LM-5

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado
November build, speaker is there and working.

I’m glad. As cool as it was to be totally silent in the Model 3, it caused a lot of problems with pedestrians. I noticed immediately that they are more aware I’m there with the PWS. Accessibility is good.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
May/June 2020 build MYP - and I do not have any pedestrian warning system that I’m aware of.

I have not looked for a speaker, as I don’t hear any noises ever and I don’t want one... yet - unless they are customizable w coconut or jaws or similar sounds - the stock PWS noises are terrible.
All 2020 Model Y have the wiring but they didn't start installing the speaker until September 2020. You can buy one and install it yourself if you want your car to start making more noise. We did to confirm it worked and then disconnected it.

• Informative
Reactions: SeattleSteve

2101Guy

Jan 6, 2020
USA
November build, speaker is there and working.

I’m glad. As cool as it was to be totally silent in the Model 3, it caused a lot of problems with pedestrians. I noticed immediately that they are more aware I’m there with the PWS. Accessibility is good.

same here. November build. Sounds a bit like Taycan sound

Neffers

Nov 11, 2020
Vancouver
I recently tested a November build Y and it seemed to make noise but only while backing up in reverse. Are your vehicles making the sounds while driving forward as well?

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
I recently tested a November build Y and it seemed to make noise but only while backing up in reverse. Are your vehicles making the sounds while driving forward as well?
The noise when moving forward is more like white noise or static. If you roll down the window and drive slowly you could probably hear it

frankvb

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Feb 29, 2020
San Diego, CA
All 2020 Model Y have the wiring but they didn't start installing the speaker until September 2020. You can buy one and install it yourself if you want your car to start making more noise. We did to confirm it worked and then disconnected it.
I would not count 100% on that, a Tesla service advisor called me and said that it is possible that the wiring is not installed. That was after I raised a service call to retrofit the speaker.

For the part number: Model Y - Pedestrian Warning System

Reactions: 52 16 57 39

52 16 57 39

BioDiesel & Electrons
Nov 20, 2020
Tacoma, WA
While I am thankful not to have that noise, I completely understand why they are needed.

As with most of my other vehicles - I enjoy the mod and customization process. If I had the speaker and that noise, I would purchase the delete kit/plug.

AND the minute we can customize the noise to coconuts, I’d install the speaker & I’m all in!

Is there a code or law that states how the noise must sound? Thinking of other hybrid and EV noises - would/could using a coconut sound be illegal?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

rorrim

Mar 23, 2020
Boston

Are you aware of any detailed instructions or videos on how to install (permanent) in the location where the grill is on the underside?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC