Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y Range....is really good.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pick up my MY in about a week and really curious how it will do. I live at the 6200’ level in Lake Tahoe basin and will be traveling up around 1k’ and down from there to the SF Bay Area once a week. The roads are 45 and 55mph in the hills heading down. The freeways through sacramento are 65. I will report back in a few weeks. Oh, and I drive the speed limit most of the time, especially when my dog is in the car.

Maybe it's the mild weather, but my Model Y (20") range is about 105% EPA...so like 340 miles or so. I've been averaging under 230Wh/mile. Not sure how people are getting down below 250 miles.
Without the AC or heat on, the car is extremely efficient.. My daily commute to the office is 24 miles, 95% highway. On my to into the office, I average about 240 Wh/Mile with the AC OFF. (I work from 6:30 am). On my way home, I have to turn on the AC as I'm in Florida and without it it's unbearable.. On the way home, I get 330 mi/kwh for the exact same trip with the AC on. Flat road, no major hills.

If you precondition the Model Y the energy used for preconditioning (heating or cooling) is not included in the Wh/mi usage while driving. Your Wh/mi would be considerably lower than 330Wh/mile. 10 minutes preconditioning in the afternoon would probably be sufficient to cool down the interior before driving. The AC could be left on and continue to run while driving but use less energy for the trip home than without first preconditioning. (The actual total kWh for driving and cooling the Model Y on your commute might be the same but the Wh/mi result while driving would be closer to what you could expect on a longer trip.)

If you precondition the Model Y the energy used for preconditioning (heating or cooling) is not included in the Wh/mi usage while driving. Your Wh/mi would be considerably lower than 330Wh/mile. 10 minutes preconditioning in the afternoon would probably be sufficient to cool down the interior before driving. The AC could be left on and continue to run while driving but use less energy for the trip home than without first preconditioning. (The actual total kWh for driving and cooling the Model Y on your commute might be the same but the Wh/mi result while driving would be closer to what you could expect on a longer trip.)
It would still use the power.. It doesn't matter if it uses it while driving or while parked at my office garage.. We don't have chargers at work, so if I precondition, it still costs me the range regardless if it uses the range while driving or while sitting.. Car really doesn't get too hot as we have a covered parking garage at work..

Here my ~9k update: 250 Wh/mi average

- All around Silicon Valley
- 101/280/17/85/87/880 freeways and slow suburban surface streets
- Up and down 2500 ft mountains all the time to Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, and in between
- 100s of fun drives consisting of going up and down twisty mountain roads
- No long road trips with continuous highway for 100s of miles

MY_9K_efficiency.jpg

You're right. I drive the speed limit. It seems like most people who complain about range are driving at illegal speeds. I don't have much sympathy for their complaints.
Ditto, I also drive the speed limit (or maybe 5-7 MPH over at most). On my Model S my lifetime average is 258 Wh/m. However, around town where speed limits are no more than 45 MPH, I can average 198 Wh/m on a 24-mile roundtrip to work/dropping my kid at school. Still waiting for delivery of our Model Y and hoping it can get even better efficiency than the S...but the S is more aerodynamic compared to the Y. We will see.

Here my ~9k update: 250 Wh/mi average

- All around Silicon Valley
- 101/280/17/85/87/880 freeways and slow suburban surface streets
- Up and down 2500 ft mountains all the time to Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, and in between
- 100s of fun drives consisting of going up and down twisty mountain roads
- No long road trips with continuous highway for 100s of miles

View attachment 672280
I'm virtually get the same lifetime average but I only have a little over 1200 miles on mine..
20210620_214420.jpg

Reactions: mark95476
Im at 3k miles 285 wh/m. Considering i dont let any straight road to waste by flooring it if possible, i think it’s great efficiency. This weekend we’re going to our first road trip and very curious about v3 charging and long range efficiency.

Reactions: byeLT4
It would still use the power.. It doesn't matter if it uses it while driving or while parked at my office garage.. We don't have chargers at work, so if I precondition, it still costs me the range regardless if it uses the range while driving or while sitting.. Car really doesn't get too hot as we have a covered parking garage at work..
I think what he was trying to convey is preconditioning gets the cabin to temp and the energy /fan speed is lower than jumping into a vehicle with the fans at full blast. The trip meter only shows the energy use while in Drive. If you precondition and the a/c is only pulling 500 watts at a 3 fan speed, it'll show a lower efficiency than if you don't precondition, and the car is pulling 1.3 kW at a 10 fan speed.

Reactions: FloridaSun
You don't drive in Texas, many areas with 80 mph speed limit and some stretches at 85 mph speed limit, many states out west are the same. Arkansas is 75 mph speed limit and you sure as *sugar* aren't getting 230 wh/mile driving the speed limit here. With all the areas that have 80 mph speed limits, thinking that only derange evil criminals would ever drive that fast is a bit silly. I know where to find sympathy in the dictionary, so I don't want yours.

Keith
I love that people disagree that the speed limit is higher in Texas than where they live. Or are they disagreeing with the idea that you don't get 230 wh/mile at 80 mph?

Hey, 2+2=4 Feel free to disagree... you can even post links to how 2+2=5 if you like.

Keith

I guess congrats on almost driving a horse and buggy. Those of us that drive in the real world in real temperatures will never see those numbers.
Here's what this horse and buggy has done in the last 6 weeks (247 wh/m over 4000+ miles) Always at the posted speed limit or slightly less. My navigation arrival battery projections are extremely accurate. It has been a steep, fun, learning curve understanding what combinations of charging/range works for me. My range anxiety is completely gone. I plan on an active range of 225 miles between supercharges. I could, easily, do 290 miles if I had to. Having destination chargers at hotels is quite important for a relaxing trip. (The map includes three round trips to LA)(And pictures of y Y's garage mate)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 7.31.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 7.31.34 AM.png
    300 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 7.29.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 7.29.43 AM.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 7.30.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 7.30.24 AM.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3830.jpeg
    IMG_3830.jpeg