Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y shut down on a freeway and had to be towed away (lifted off the autobahn)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday my car shut down in the freeway close to my home here in Switzerland (see picture below for a flying Model Y)

We had just entered the autobahn (freeway) and accelerated to 120 km/h (75 mph). After 20 seconds I got the error: “power reduced rear motor temporarily disabled”. After 5-10 seconds I completely lost power, and we couldn’t make it to the next exit and had to stop in the emergency lane.

We called Tesla immediately and after 10 minutes they concluded that we couldn’t do anything, and had to get towed. They “allegedly” called roadside assistance (TCS) in Switzerland, and after 25 minutes, after I had called them back 3 times, said that they couldn’t get in touch with roadside assistance, and that we had to call the police and ask them to get us out of there while leaving the car. WTF!!??

I called TCS myself, they picked up after 2 minutes and where there after 20. Embarrassing from Tesla Roadside assistance

The car wouldn’t tow (yes, in tow mode), so we had to close the highway and get the car lifted in the flatbed. The Police where just so cool about it, closed the highway, got my daughter and wife into their car, and took everything with a smile. The tow driver was just crazy experienced, and had the car lifted in no time.

The car is now at the service center, and they will have to take a look on Monday. *sugar* happens, and I had plenty of time to pull over on a good spot. Tesla roadside assistance where of no use.

Car is 3.5 months old and only with 5000 km, so let’s see. I guess it’s the drivetrain that is somehow broken

452807BB-1A43-4A9E-8C1C-11EC0FF85739.jpeg

Reactions: DrDabbles and voxel
Good luck. Had to get towed off the highway last week and my car is still in the Tesla shop. Got a bunch of BMS errors and couldn’t get the car restated. Car only had 1600 miles

Attachments

• B8467D71-69BA-4916-94C9-DD1257229C9F.jpeg
    B8467D71-69BA-4916-94C9-DD1257229C9F.jpeg
    943.7 KB · Views: 200
  • A2A8741C-ECD5-4259-9FF5-8B5CBF35B126.jpeg
    A2A8741C-ECD5-4259-9FF5-8B5CBF35B126.jpeg
    1,000.3 KB · Views: 211
Good luck. Had to get towed off the highway last week and my car is still in the Tesla shop. Got a bunch of BMS errors and couldn’t get the car restated. Car only had 1600 miles
Dang! I'm seeing this happen more and more. My 2022 S had 3,800 miles. I hope we all get good resolutions. I'm wondering what manufacturing process broke down to have so many with the same problems.

• Informative
Reactions: _Redshift_
Tesla called me yesterday with an update on the car. The drive unit is broken and needs to get replaced. Apparently the inverter was faulty, and set off a chain reaction which completely messed up the drive unit.

Unfortunately due to, well, the world, they can’t get me a new drive unit until end of august. In the meantime they have offered me a loaner Model 3. im happy that I have a loaner, but a bummed bummed by the fact that I won’t have a bigger car as a loaner for 1.5 months

Tesla called me yesterday with an update on the car. The drive unit is broken and needs to get replaced. Apparently the inverter was faulty, and set off a chain reaction which completely messed up the drive unit.

Unfortunately due to, well, the world, they can’t get me a new drive unit until end of august. In the meantime they have offered me a loaner Model 3. im happy that I have a loaner, but a bummed bummed by the fact that I won’t have a bigger car as a loaner for 1.5 months
Bummer for sure. Service was quick in determining the fix. The wait sucks but one month will pass soon enough.

Sounds like it'll work out and you get to keep some miles, err kilometers off your own car for a bit.

Also sounds like the recovery service and police are very professional in Switzerland.

As I understand that the car is 2022 production model ( you say 3 months old ) - I don't think it was built in Berlin so it was a China or US built. As Tesla's production ramped up, quality and reliability has definitely taken a hit. I don't think we can attribute it to supply chain issues.