Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y smells, does it happen to yours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After only having it for a month seems too soon but my M3 does this every year and have to clean and change filters as described in the threads. There is no way getting around it unfortunately
Agreed. And at least for me, if I only have to do it once a year I'm fine with that. Doesn't cost that much or take too long for me consider it a problem. An inconvenience sure but not something i stress about. I used to do most of my own maintenance back in the day and there's hardly anything to be done now with an EV. Top off the wiper fluid? The air pressure? Have Discount Tire rotate and balance my tires (for free) occasionally? We have it pretty good I think...

Agreed. And at least for me, if I only have to do it once a year I'm fine with that. Doesn't cost that much or take too long for me consider it a problem. An inconvenience sure but not something i stress about. I used to do most of my own maintenance back in the day and there's hardly anything to be done now with an EV. Top off the wiper fluid? The air pressure? Have Discount Tire rotate and balance my tires (for free) occasionally? We have it pretty good I think...

I have a problem that the 2018 didn't last through the summer (this was the first summer that was the case so maybe progressively getting worse) as well as that I have to basically wait until there is a noticeable problem and then change it on the mold's schedule, not mine. I have no problems changing it every year. I hate having to wait long enough for it to be a problem and then forced to do it then and not earlier in order to get it to last one season. So if I wanted to do it on my schedule I would probably end up doing it twice, once in the spring and then again late summer.

I had to do my Model 3 a year ago, and just had to do the Model Y last week.

The model 3 wasn't easy, the model y is a bit redesigned and it's super easy to do now. No more HV lines and the bolt is at the bottom instead of buried up top.
On the 3 I used Tesla filters, on the Y I used the ones linked below. Amazon reviews seem to think they're exactly the same as Tesla's, and I agree. They're both made in Germany and the look exactly the same as the stock ones.

I also used Kilma both times, however it seems to be out of stock at the moment.

Kilma

Filters (seem to be the same as OEM)

Reactions: SunCharged
Yeah, did this today...wasn't too bad. You are right, its easier now than in the videos. I didn't disconnect the stereo/light wires, and had enough room, and the bolt is lower and is not a torx screw either...just a normal bolt that I used a 1/4" socket on.

Only thing I messed up on, was I started spraying the kool-it and was focused on getting the foam on the far side and bottom, and ran out. It does NOT take a long time to use the whole can. I should have sprayed a little, take a look with my camera to see where I sprayed, and then spray again. I think I missed 1/3 of the coils on top.

Still smells much better. I attribute most of it to the new filters. The old filters had almost 16K miles on them and were looking pretty gross.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Yes, our Tesla Y stinks when you start it but the smell goes away. Any fixes out there?
Lots of forum threads on this:
1.clean the coils with some coil cleaner.
2.install new filters.
3.I have decided to turn off cabin overheat protection which I believe was causing this to happen for me. Smell has not come back.

I believe Tesla recommends changing the cabin filters every 12k miles but I might be wrong. I know my last Jeep had that recommendation so that is what I will be doing. At 12K the ones in my Y were pretty dirty.

Replaced my filters with aftermarket ones and cleaned the heck out of my evap coils over the weekend. Glorious, fresh-smelling air. I suspect that I had some low-key stink that stayed around even after the first couple of minutes because I can't stop noticing how clean the HVAC smells now. Also noticing better/colder airflow with the aftermarket filters since they have less filter media than the OEM ones.

I had this too. Smelled like vinegar when I turned on the AC. I drove through a forest fire a few months ago. I hear that's a common experience in California, too, where people report this problem independent of humidity.

Anyway, I replaced the two cabin air filters and the smell is gone. Didn't bother cleaning the coil since I wanted to see if simply changing the filters would be enough. I say "simply" but they sure don't make it easy - even now, with the revisions over the years.

So, after 8 months, it's working fine for me, in Fort Worth, unheated/no AC garage. Baffling to me why someone in Austin would be different?
So, all you evil people claiming to have stinky HVAC, you've finally infected my car with your stench. Thanks a lot.

I guess I should have stayed away from this thread. The old adage, "If you walk in the gutter long enough, you'll get *sugar* on your shoes." :eek: ;)

I first noticed it after washing the car. I'm wondering if some of the water managed to descend into the air intake, and not run out whatever drain is built in? Stench went away for my road trip to FL (1200 miles), then returned when I parked the car slightly uphill. Next day, parked it facing downhill, there was no odor.

I'm also not seeing any AC condensation under the car. Thinking the drain is plugged up???

• Funny
Reactions: dduffey
I'm also not seeing any AC condensation under the car. Thinking the drain is plugged up???

There is no drain line/hose ... it's a hole that drips inside unto the top of the underbody skirt/floor. So you'll only really notice it if there is a lot draining (i.e. it may take some time to saturate the plastic cover before it drips out around the sides). Did you notice AC condensation on the floor and then it stopped? That would be a clue ... or leave the car on sitting w/ windows down and AC going for 30 minutes ... you should see some condensation by then.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I was getting bad smell mostly when it rains otherwise it was fine.
Created request with SC and they fixed it for me on good will.
Cleaned the system and put 2 new design filters. The smell is gone.
The estimate cost of this fix is $50 for filters $25 for can of cleaner and about $60-70 for labor. Between $130-150.

I have found the ROOT CAUSE - at least for my Model Y.

I had a Model 3 with this same issue and I have had it intermittently with my Model Y. I decided to track down “what starts the smell” as that is just the type of person I am. Through changing many filters and tracking exactly what heppens before the smells “start” I have solved the root cause for my Model Y smell problem. It is the Quick Quack car wash that I take the cars to!! I am glad they are recirculating the water to be more enviromentally concenscious - but that is where the smell “starts” for me.

Admittedly, there must be something poor in the design of the air-intake / filter housing housing to allow this recirculated water to start the mucky smell as this does not happen on our Porsche or Jeep. However, if i only take my Y to my self-serve carwash OR i handwash it myself, I never get the stink. I am sure that most of these ‘drive through carwashes’ recirc their water - so I do not have an axe to grind with Quick Quack - that is just the place that I took mine to that caused the issue.

Might not help anyone else -but it has solved the issue for me!

It is true that modern automated car washes recycle the water used to wash the vehicles. The used water is filtered, treated and stored in tanks for re-use. The reason car washes have a distinctive, not unpleasant, odor is they add a pleasant smelling scent to the wash water. The only fresh water used when washing the vehicle is the final rinse to minimize spotting.

Changed the filters and used a can of Koolit - got rid of the awful smell.

But what a pain. Observations:

1. Couldn’t figure out how to disconnect speaker wire, which made getting new filters in harder
  2. I used purolator filters, which are made in Germany and seem very similar to Tesla if not same
  3. The old filters did not smell and looked pretty clean, but I changed them anyway
Since my filter seemed fine, maybe next time I will run the koolit tube up from the drain hole, as recommended on the box. But someone earlier in the thread mentioned this is not really a drain tube, just an opening into the under-chassis. Anyone have more info?

Some vehicle
Changed the filters and used a can of Koolit - got rid of the awful smell.

But what a pain. Observations:

1. Couldn’t figure out how to disconnect speaker wire, which made getting new filters in harder
  2. I used purolator filters, which are made in Germany and seem very similar to Tesla if not same
  3. The old filters did not smell and looked pretty clean, but I changed them anyway
Since my filter seemed fine, maybe next time I will run the koolit tube up from the drain hole, as recommended on the box. But someone earlier in the thread mentioned this is not really a drain tube, just an opening into the under-chassis. Anyone have more info?
Some vehicles use a condensate drain tube (which can become clogged); Tesla has a drain hole in the evaporator coil and cabin air filter box. You can use the Koolit the next time you change the cabin air filters.

Tech also said Tesla has determined that the filter is the culprit and they’re switching to another filter on new Ys and 3s. The new one is not yellow in color.
The smell is back. It’s not even a year or 9000 miles yet. So it was BS again that the filters cause the smell.

Got some generic filters from Amazon for $13 (2 pack). Will just use these cheaper filters and change more frequently.

Evaporator inside the dashboard is the source of the stink. You have to dry the duct/evaporator area with high heat high fan 3-4 minutes after you use the AC. Tesla cars do that for abut 2 minutes (correct me if I am wrong) after 10-15 minutes after you park, but not enough time and fan speed to dry all up.
I do turn off AC and turn on outside air and high fan before I arrive home for 3-4 minutes and then I park in the garage and leave all the door open for 30 minutes to an hour.
Never once had any foul smell.