Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y smells, does it happen to yours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The vinegar/chemical odor has returned with a vengeance in my Model 3 now that it's getting warmer. It has something to do with the outside air—if I switch on recirculation then it goes away. Once I allow fresh air in again, the odor returns right away.

Last summer I wiped down the air intake with anti-bacterial wipes and I think that helped temporarily. I'll try it again.

Reactions: captanzuelo
That smell popping up within 3 months of new is something Tesla should be willing (happy) to fix under warranty. It typically takes at least a full year, and the smell starts in Spring or Summer, at least for the M3.
Yep, had mine done - changed out the cabin filter under warranty a few months after I got it. All good since...

Chiming in on same topic. 2021 MY June delivery. Have same issue which led me to this thread. 2.5 months, 2.5k mi. Run HVAC on auto at all times. If I blast heat or cold, no issue/scent with the heavy air stream. Would love to hear from anyone who has checked on this with Service.

Chiming in on same topic. 2021 MY June delivery. Have same issue which led me to this thread. 2.5 months, 2.5k mi. Run HVAC on auto at all times. If I blast heat or cold, no issue/scent with the heavy air stream. Would love to hear from anyone who has checked on this with Service.
This is a known issue, lots of posts on this. Tesla will normally replace the cabin filters and clean the area under warranty one time if it’s within 12 months or so (seems to be some variation here depending on service center) but it will come back at some point almost guaranteed. You can then DIY with charcoal filters and spray. Some good info here:
Thread 'Strong odor when starting'
Strong odor when starting

June 2020 delivery. No smell. I have my AC set to temp=70 deg, fan=2 all the time. I plan on replacing my filters in ~2 years time per service schedule.

I'm in Cali so no humidity.

June 2020 delivery. No smell. I have my AC set to temp=70 deg, fan=2 all the time. I plan on replacing my filters in ~2 years time per service schedule.

I'm in Cali so no humidity.
June 2020, SoCal. Just had to have our cabin filter replaced. Very reasonable cost (<$70), but apparently they do not spray the evaporator core, leaving the microorganisms to just reproduce and result in the need for another filter. Of note, we did drive through a fire evacuation last July and of course there was tons of particulate media just waiting to feed that hungry mold.

In the past, Tesla used a chemical treatment when replacing filters. That lasted two years in our 2017 M3, which also just had the filter replaced by Mobile Service.

Next time you get the odor, turn on recirculating mode and see if stops blowing stinky air. It does for me every time but isn't a permanent fix (two filter replacements and evaporator cleanings by Tesla didn't fix it).

I just popped the panel over the outside air intake and wiped it down with disinfectant wipes again—there was a thin layer of dust/pollen all over the intake.

I have a 2021 Y (March) and it’s been doing this the entire time. It has been for service 2x, with the third time scheduled for next week. Currently the drain line is not draining. They have cleaned the system, then replaced sensors. Nothing has fixed the issue. They keep telling me o need to change the filters, and ignore me when I mention that they just did that 2 weeks ago. So far it’s a continuation of very poor customer service from Tesla.

Phoenix AZ

Outlier here. Fort Worth, TX. VIN 88xxx, delivered 12/26/2020, now approaching 13k miles. Always on AUTO, 71-75f.

No odor at all, and we're all very sensitive to odors.

Wonder what the difference might be? Maybe my HVAC drains better???

Reactions: rxlawdude
This is a known issue, lots of posts on this. Tesla will normally replace the cabin filters and clean the area under warranty one time if it’s within 12 months or so (seems to be some variation here depending on service center) but it will come back at some point almost guaranteed. You can then DIY with charcoal filters and spray. Some good info here:
Thread 'Strong odor when starting'
Strong odor when starting
I’m having the issue 11 months in and Tesla is saying it’s not covered. They only warranty it for 6 months. Very annoying.