Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y smells, does it happen to yours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The smell is back. It’s not even a year or 9000 miles yet. So it was BS again that the filters cause the smell.

Got some generic filters from Amazon for $13 (2 pack). Will just use these cheaper filters and change more frequently.
I am curious, do you have the Climate Control system set to Auto? Do you usually precondition the Model Y for ~5 minutes prior to entering the vehicle, driving? Has it been an unusually wet spring in your area?

I had this problem since delivery, but as people mentioned, it's usually just the first couple of minutes and then it goes away. It's the most pronounced after the car has been parked outside during a rain storm, like doing grocery shopping. Less, but still noticeable after a night in the garage sometimes. Can a SC appointment address this issue? I've read some of the earlier posts in this thread, regarding filter changes and drainhole water accumulation, but didn't get a sense of a permanent solution.

I am curious, do you have the Climate Control system set to Auto? Do you usually precondition the Model Y for ~5 minutes prior to entering the vehicle, driving? Has it been an unusually wet spring in your area?
I keep the AC off in winter unless it’s raining or snowing. Temperature set to 70 and fan speed set to 2. Never pre-condition before I drive.

I started to notice the smell about 2 weeks ago (AC off). It rained A LOT last week in Chicago and as soon as I turned on the AC, the smell became stronger.

I cleaned the compartment and changed the filter on our Model 3 almost 9 months before we even picked up our Model Y. The smell never came back. We used the Taptes filter in the 3. Yeah we should probably change out the filter now but too lazy. It’s a PITA to change it on the 3.

I keep the AC off in winter unless it’s raining or snowing. Temperature set to 70 and fan speed set to 2. Never pre-condition before I drive.
I leave the Climate Control in Auto with the cabin temperature between 70F and 72F. I always precondition before driving. After almost two years ownership of my Model Y I have not needed to change the cabin air filters due to odors (I might change the cabin air filters at the 2 year mark.) My 2020 Model Y is garaged, only has ~8k miles.

My MYP smells like the tears of ICE vehicle owners.
This guy doesn't agree! LOL

1652206209615.jpeg

Personally, I am against using any air freshener or anything that produce scent or smell. It will always make it worse with smell that you are trying to cover up, especially during the hot months.
I hear you, but some people like using air fresheners even if their car doesn't stink to begin with.

If you are trying to eliminate an odor without introducing an additional scent, I highly recommend Ozium

IMO, using cabin overheat protection with AC just means the AC works more often, and every time it works it generates humidity that can lead to mildew. Nothing magical there.
Source? In fact running running the AC will dehumidify the air in the passenger cabin. This is a natural effect of cooling the air. The amount of moisture that can be held in the air as water vapor drops as the temperature falls. The excess moisture has to go somewhere. The excess moisture condenses onto any surface with a lower temperature, including the evaporator coil inside the AC system. The condensed water (condensate) then normally drains out of the vehicle.

After the AC system turns off the evaporator coil can remain wet. This condition is ideal for mold and mildew to grow. The Tesla Model Y will run the HVAC fan for a period of time after you exit the vehicle to help dry the evaporator coil. (In GM vehicles this function can be enabled as the HVAC After Blow setting, usually by the dealer.) Traditional ICE vehicle are at a disadvantage when it comes to running the HVAC fan after the engine has been shut off because the 12V starter battery is not designed to run the HVAC fan for more than ~10 minutes, potentially not long enough to full dry off the evaporator coil. The Tesla vehicle can run the HVAC fan for as long as needed to effectively dry off the evaporator coil with minimal battery drain on the high voltage battery.

Last edited:
I was referring to people that say disabling the AC of the cabin overheat protection fixed their problem. I'm just saying that this simply uses the AC less often, which might extend the time it takes before you start having smell issues and need to replace your filters. Nothing more than that.
As you say, running the AC creates condensation on the radiator, and the filters are damn close to the radiator. They most probably get humid. Now that the car runs the fan after AC use, it dries the whole thing so mildew should not appear, but that's probably not perfect either. Eventually those filters need replacing, and the radiator needs cleaning, just like any AC unit.
Edit: with that said, maybe the precaution of running the fan after ac use is not applied in the cabin overheat protection case, which would lead to faster mildew buildup...

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe
Source? In fact running running the AC will dehumidify the air in the passenger cabin. This is a natural effect of cooling the air. The amount of moisture that can be held in the air as water vapor drops as the temperature falls. The excess moisture has to go somewhere. The excess moisture condenses onto any surface with a lower temperature, including the evaporator coil inside the AC system. The condensed water (condensate) then normally drains out of the vehicle.

After the AC system turns off the evaporator coil can remain wet. This condition is ideal for mold and mildew to grow. The Tesla Model Y will run the HVAC fan for a period of time after you exit the vehicle to help dry the evaporator coil. (In GM vehicles this function can be enabled as the HVAC After Blow setting, usually by the dealer.) Traditional ICE vehicle are at a disadvantage when it comes to running the HVAC fan after the engine has been shut off because the 12V starter battery is not designed to run the HVAC fan for more than ~10 minutes, potentially not long enough to full dry off the evaporator coil. The Tesla vehicle can run the HVAC fan for as long as needed to effectively dry off the evaporator coil with minimal battery drain on the high voltage battery.
100% Agreed!
Also, condensation occurs not only in the evaporator coil area, but also in all air duct path that the cold/ac air flows through. If you shut down AC and do nothing and close all the door. Severe condensation occurs in that area, and as I mentioned earlier, the automatic fan blowing and drain is not long enough to remove the condensation in all affected areas, and that's where all that smell comes from.
The best way to prevent that smell is to run the fan high with high heat for about 2 minutes with outside air after you turn off the AC, and leave the doors open for 10-20 minutes in your garage.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Well, I guess I can join the stink club too! One thing I have noticed is that if I roll the windows down a little bit while I’m driving I get a lot of stink also coming in from outside. I tried to run the fan on number six with the heat on very low for about three hours. But that didn’t seem to do much good. Once the car sits for a little bit it starts to stink again. I am hoping that maybe just a simple air filter change will help. I don’t suppose Tesla and their mobile service would go good for something like this beings I only have 10,000 miles on the car. Even after you get out of the car it stinks around the outside of it!

Last edited:
Sure -- that's what I get for making fun of this thread --- NOW I HAVE THE STINK TOO! AND IT SMELLS LIKE CRAP💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩
After getting an estimate of $129 from Tesla today, They told me that I've had the car more that six months and it wouldn't be covered under warranty. I told them to cancel my appointment and that I might as well learn to do it myself, because this seems to be a re-occurring problem with the car. I promptly ordered the hepa filter set and a can of Kool-it. $56 vs $129 -- ya, I'll do it myself. Can't stand the stink any longer.