Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y won’t charge at supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove to Portland from Bellevue (my home) in my Model Y. On the way back in the evening, I stopped at the Hillsboro, OR supercharger. My car charged until 21% and stopped charging saying charging interrupted. I unplugged and plugged back in, but it won’t charge with an error message saying unplug and retry charging. I did this 4-5 times, no luck. I then tried 3 different supercharging stalls, all of them didn’t work with the same issue. I called Tesla roadside and they suggested to reboot and power down, none of them helped. At this point I was suggested to try a third party charger, surprisingly the car was charging there, but that charger was too slow and would have taken 8 hours for enough juice for me to reach home. I had 21% left, so I thought of driving to Vancouver, WA supercharger and give a try, same issue happened there as well. Somehow, I found a Tesla destination charger at a hotel and have plugged my car there overnight while I sleep at the hotel, in order to have enough juice to reach home in the morning.

I hate this, I mean what can I do in this situation to avoid being strangled at an unknown location. I am fortunate that the car had some energy, otherwise I would have to leave the car at the charging station and take a Uber to a hotel or call a friend all the way 180 miles to take me home.

I have booked an appointment with Tesla which too I got for Jan 12. My car is literally unusable till then as I don’t have a charger at home and only way for me to charge is at a supercharger.

Just thought of posting this here to see if anyone had similar experience and how they overcome from it. Also, what can I do as a Tesla owner to prevent this from happening again ?

You can download Plugshare on your phone. Plugshare can locate public Level 2 charging stations close to your home. Until Tesla can repair your Model Y vehicle you may have no other charging options. Google Maps can also locate EV charging stations.

Reactions: cwerdna
You can also see if anyone in your area has a CHAdeMO adapter they can loan you. You can also use Plugshare to find CHAdeMO chargers.

Electrify America is free today and possibly longer (Electrify America complimentary sessions (set to free) - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum). See my caveats at Electrify America complimentary sessions (set to free) - My Nissan Leaf Forum about CHAdeMO on EA since they only have 1 CHAdeMO handle at each site vs. many CCS.

There should be plenty of paid L2 and CHAdeMO charging in/around King County. (I lived in that county for about 9.5 years.)

Sounds like you have an Issue with DC charging. Just go to J1772 “charger” and use the little adapter that came with the car or find a destination charger. Then you are using the charger on board the car to actually charge the battery.

I drove to Portland from Bellevue (my home) in my Model Y. On the way back in the evening, I stopped at the Hillsboro, OR supercharger. My car charged until 21% and stopped charging saying charging interrupted. I unplugged and plugged back in, but it won’t charge with an error message saying unplug and retry charging. I did this 4-5 times, no luck. I then tried 3 different supercharging stalls, all of them didn’t work with the same issue. I called Tesla roadside and they suggested to reboot and power down, none of them helped. At this point I was suggested to try a third party charger, surprisingly the car was charging there, but that charger was too slow and would have taken 8 hours for enough juice for me to reach home. I had 21% left, so I thought of driving to Vancouver, WA supercharger and give a try, same issue happened there as well. Somehow, I found a Tesla destination charger at a hotel and have plugged my car there overnight while I sleep at the hotel, in order to have enough juice to reach home in the morning.

I hate this, I mean what can I do in this situation to avoid being strangled at an unknown location. I am fortunate that the car had some energy, otherwise I would have to leave the car at the charging station and take a Uber to a hotel or call a friend all the way 180 miles to take me home.

I have booked an appointment with Tesla which too I got for Jan 12. My car is literally unusable till then as I don’t have a charger at home and only way for me to charge is at a supercharger.

Just thought of posting this here to see if anyone had similar experience and how they overcome from it. Also, what can I do as a Tesla owner to prevent this from happening again ?
Did you here a clicking noise when you plugged the charger into the car?

There is a lock that comes up into the bottom of the plug, in a slot. If the lock doesn't engage into the slot, the charging won't start. When the car is trying to engage the lock, you will hear a clicking sound.

I find that on some V3 Superchargers, it is difficult to get the lock to engage and I have to jiggle the plug left and right before the lock engages into the slot.

Two ideas for things that might help without a service visit.
  • A full power disconnect, rebooting all computers may be in order. If this resolves the problem, there was nothing a Service visit was likely to accomplish anyway. See the video on battery replacement for the technicals, but you're really just disconnecting the negative post from 12v battery and safety loop for a bit before reconnecting.
    I have seen this solution work on a Model 3 in a similar situation.
  • You have freezing wet weather and servo or something in charge port has become unable to move and lock the SC connector. You can play with the manual release to try and free this. This is unlikely since you've been able to AC charge.

A similar thing happened to me on a would-be cross-country road trip over Thanksgiving. I made it to about Chicago before aborting the trip and level-2 charging back to Northern Virginia - that was an adventure. Tesla replaced the DC fast charging contactors in the battery penthouse and all is good.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need level 2 charging for long distances, take the extra time to seek out locations that provide the full 48 amps. I also found that avoiding highways helped save energy and cut considerable distance compared to the interstates, saving charging time. If you plan things out well, you can cover about 500 miles per day on level 2 charging.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: house9 and cwerdna
A similar thing happened to me on a would-be cross-country road trip over Thanksgiving. I made it to about Chicago before aborting the trip and level-2 charging back to Northern Virginia - that was an adventure. Tesla replaced the DC fast charging contactors in the battery penthouse and all is good.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need level 2 charging for long distances, take the extra time to seek out locations that provide the full 48 amps. I also found that avoiding highways helped save energy and cut considerable distance compared to the interstates, saving charging time. If you plan things out well, you can cover about 500 miles per day on level 2 charging.
It happened to me as well this weekend on my 2016 Model S. I was down to 0 miles. Had it towed to Nashville which cost me $250 after AAA since it was 150 miles away. Uber was another $90. Roadside assistance didn’t give me the option to do Level 2 charging. I’m dreading the repair cost 😬

For the regular road trip we take 4 to 6 times a year (southern IL to southern MD via I-64) I built a spreadsheet with ALL the Level 2 chargers along my route that I believe I could get to. I color-coded them to show the address, amps, distance(s), and any recent charging history/comments. I want to add the exact EXIT off I-64 as well. It's the USAF in me that wants to have "alternate" refueling locations at the ready so I'm not struggling during an emergency.

So along my 900-mile trip, there are DOZENS of Level 2 charges along I-64 that I could use in an emergency, I sleep better.

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl

This happened to me in Santa Rosa, New Mexico in November 2020 on my trip from Evanston Illinois to San Diego in my new Y Performance. Being prepared, I whipped out my Chargepoint app only to learn that the nearest third party charger was 120 miles away! Tesla Roadside was not much help in problem solving and offered a tow the next day. In my own effort to problem solve, I found the one external 110 v socket at the "Bates Motel" reachable with my mobile Tesla charger and plugged in. It worked telling me the problem may not be the equipment. Thank G-d I had on hand a NEMA 14-50 adapter purchased for my San Diego home. I then decided to locate a trailer or RV park to see if it would charge. I found one 2 miles away and at 2 am found one empty pad with receptacle and discovered the car would accept a charge! I sat for awhile and then decided because I was 2 miles from the motel, it was 40 degrees with wind blowing at 20mph and I did't have a jacket, I couldn't leave the car charging. I returned to the Supercharger (with magical thinking that I had reset something) and decided to try it again. This time the fourth charger worked because in physically maneuvering the charging wand (thinking that some connector was not making contact) I inadvertently pushed the little circle on the charging wand and it began to charge!!! (I later learned this was a temporary fix someone deep in Tesla's inner sanctum had discovered but not communicated to the service personnel.) I charged to 90% and Tesla watching my charging progreee decided to not send a flatbed truck. Instead, they directed me to drive to the "nearest" service center 266 miles away in El Paso. The next day at 42 degrees, we started the journey. My battery immediately started conditioning and directing me back to the Supercharger. As a new Tesla owner having never seen this before, decided something else was malfunctioning and giving bad advice. Reassured by Tesla Roadside that we had enough charge to make it, I drove on. Soon down the road we encountered 25 mph headwinds. The dreaded warning sign told me we weren't gonna make it and we were in the middle of the desert. A frantic call to Tesla Roadside resulted in them locating a roughneck camp in Corona New Mexico that had the only NEMA 14-50 receptacles around. We were at 5% charge on arriving and AGAIN accessed the last receptacle available. We sat there in a sandstorm for six hours charging, limped to Alamogordo to an HOA camp and charged for another 6 hrs before continuing the trip to the El Paso solar panel center (the auto service center was not yet completed) who didn't know why we were there. After lots of kurfluffling, we were provided an ICE Land Schooner rental. With only three rental vehicles available it was only vehicle that would accommodate our two dogs and luggage. We left our bike hitch and 2 bikes behind.

Embedded in this missive is the suggestion to press and hold the circle on the wand as you are attempting to charge, it might work for you. Supposedly Tesla has supposedly fixed this software issue because I have not had another incident in 2 R/T Evanston IL to SanDiego trips and 2 Evanston IL to Florida trips. The other advice I give is if you are traveling in a EV desert (literally) have on hand a NEMA 14-50 adapter. There are trailer parks and HOA camps all over those more remote areas that may be able to accommodate you.

• Informative
Reactions: house9
I had the same issue just recently I have a 2021 MYP would not charge at home level 2 but charged at super chargers. I set an appointment up and they had to replace the ECU. I know a several people having this issue. All was covered under warranty

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
This happened to me in Santa Rosa, New Mexico in November 2020 on my trip from Evanston Illinois to San Diego in my new Y Performance. Being prepared, I whipped out my Chargepoint app only to learn that the nearest third party charger was 120 miles away! Tesla Roadside was not much help in problem solving and offered a tow the next day. In my own effort to problem solve, I found the one external 110 v socket at the "Bates Motel" reachable with my mobile Tesla charger and plugged in. It worked telling me the problem may not be the equipment. Thank G-d I had on hand a NEMA 14-50 adapter purchased for my San Diego home. I then decided to locate a trailer or RV park to see if it would charge. I found one 2 miles away and at 2 am found one empty pad with receptacle and discovered the car would accept a charge! I sat for awhile and then decided because I was 2 miles from the motel, it was 40 degrees with wind blowing at 20mph and I did't have a jacket, I couldn't leave the car charging. I returned to the Supercharger (with magical thinking that I had reset something) and decided to try it again. This time the fourth charger worked because in physically maneuvering the charging wand (thinking that some connector was not making contact) I inadvertently pushed the little circle on the charging wand and it began to charge!!! (I later learned this was a temporary fix someone deep in Tesla's inner sanctum had discovered but not communicated to the service personnel.) I charged to 90% and Tesla watching my charging progreee decided to not send a flatbed truck. Instead, they directed me to drive to the "nearest" service center 266 miles away in El Paso. The next day at 42 degrees, we started the journey. My battery immediately started conditioning and directing me back to the Supercharger. As a new Tesla owner having never seen this before, decided something else was malfunctioning and giving bad advice. Reassured by Tesla Roadside that we had enough charge to make it, I drove on. Soon down the road we encountered 25 mph headwinds. The dreaded warning sign told me we weren't gonna make it and we were in the middle of the desert. A frantic call to Tesla Roadside resulted in them locating a roughneck camp in Corona New Mexico that had the only NEMA 14-50 receptacles around. We were at 5% charge on arriving and AGAIN accessed the last receptacle available. We sat there in a sandstorm for six hours charging, limped to Alamogordo to an HOA camp and charged for another 6 hrs before continuing the trip to the El Paso solar panel center (the auto service center was not yet completed) who didn't know why we were there. After lots of kurfluffling, we were provided an ICE Land Schooner rental. With only three rental vehicles available it was only vehicle that would accommodate our two dogs and luggage. We left our bike hitch and 2 bikes behind.

Embedded in this missive is the suggestion to press and hold the circle on the wand as you are attempting to charge, it might work for you. Supposedly Tesla has supposedly fixed this software issue because I have not had another incident in 2 R/T Evanston IL to SanDiego trips and 2 Evanston IL to Florida trips. The other advice I give is if you are traveling in a EV desert (literally) have on hand a NEMA 14-50 adapter. There are trailer parks and HOA camps all over those more remote areas that may be able to accommodate you.
Not sure why they routed you to El Paso, there has been a service center near Santa Fe NM on the Nambe Indian Reservation that opened for several months ago. Sorry just noticed this happened in 2020 makes sense now.

I am going to be making a trip through central Texas and plan to charge at a campground in Muleshoe (unless the SC in Lubbock, TX and/or Clovis, NM opens, not holding my breath). I have a 10-50 pigtail attached to my wall connector so hopefully can charge at a rate of 40A+ at the camp ground. I tried this setup at a friends house and charged for over two hours on his 10-50 circuit at 48A. Monitored things during that session and had no problems. I think NEMA code should allow drawing 48A on a 10-50 circuit as long the session is not over four hours? That assumes the campground 10-50 circuits are not marginal as I have read many are!

Last edited:

I just had this exact same issue last night (May15, 2022) . . . your ordeal was identical to mine. I'm having Tesla service my car in a week, hoping to find the issue and better understand what their "roadside service" actually provides. Very frustrating, and my wife has lost all the confidence in the electric car option - the confidence I worked almost two years to grow. Big bummer.

This exact same situation happened to me just last night (5/15/22) . . . were you able to resolve the issue via repair through Tesla service center?