Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My MS thought a 45mph road was 5mph and tried to reduce my speed to 10mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You aren't listening.

I set my speed at 65. AutoPilot on. The signs reduce the speed to 5mph.

My concern - Autopilot interprets the speed as 50mph.

Is anyone else having an issue understanding what I've been saying?
What you're saying is that you're a dangerous driver who relies on his car to reduce it's speed automatically despite the manufacturer never claiming the car actually has that functionality. When in reality you should be looking out the windshield, see the speed limit sign, and react accordingly. Additionally, it shows that you use auto-steer in construction zones, which is also an incredibly bad idea.

You're also proving my point that not only has this restriction inconvenienced many people, and done absolutely nothing to improve safety, it's actually caused some people to become more reckless and actually caused a new safety hazard that didn't exist before.

What you're saying is that you're a dangerous driver who relies on his car to reduce it's speed automatically despite the manufacturer never claiming the car actually has that functionality. When in reality you should be looking out the windshield, see the speed limit sign, and react accordingly. Additionally, it shows that you use auto-steer in construction zones, which is also an incredibly bad idea.

You're also proving my point that not only has this restriction inconvenienced many people, and done absolutely nothing to improve safety, it's actually caused some people to become more reckless and actually caused a new safety hazard that didn't exist before.

Im bringing the point up as a concern. I didn't say that I did this.

Whether you think its a bad idea or not is immaterial. You haven't made a point - you are just criticizing over and over.

I'm stating this as a concern. Why are making this out to be about me.

My concern is - If the car might interoperate 5mph as 50mph. Do you get it now?

My concern is - If the car might interoperate 5mph as 50mph. Do you get it now?
I'm pointing out that there isn't any situation in which this is a concern, because the driver is responsible for driving at an appropriate speed.

If I set cruise control to 100mph in my 1983 Mercedes, I'm responsible for the consequences when the car cruises at 100mph. There's no difference if "not you" sets their cruise control at 65mph in their 2016 Tesla, they're still responsible for the consequences of their car doing the speed they asked it to do.

Misinterpreting the other direction (reading 5 in a 50) also wouldn't be a concern, except that Tesla made it a concern when they decided to use such a flawed system to restrict their drivers.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I'm pointing out that there isn't any situation in which this is a concern, because the driver is responsible for driving at an appropriate speed.

If I set cruise control to 100mph in my 1983 Mercedes, I'm responsible for the consequences when the car cruises at 100mph. There's no difference if "not you" sets their cruise control at 65mph in their 2016 Tesla, they're still responsible for the consequences of their car doing the speed they asked it to do.

Misinterpreting the other direction (reading 5 in a 50) also wouldn't be a concern, except that Tesla made it a concern when they decided to use such a flawed system to restrict their drivers.
I am not talking about who is responsible or who isn't. That's another entirely different subject.

My concern is about the car and its function. That's it. Lets not change the subject. Everyone here knows that the driver is always responsible.

My concern is this - That the CAR is misinterpreting signs. Its seeing 50mph signs as 5mph. That's a fact. I'm concerned about the miss interpretation the other way around. Can we talk about that?

That the CAR is misinterpreting signs. Its seeing 50mph signs as 5mph. That's a fact. I'm concerned about the miss interpretation the other way around.
As annoyed as I am by the general problem of it misreading "speed limit" (or not) signs, I'm not following you on this specific concern.
Can you lay out for us, step by step, the exact sequence of actions you and the car would take that would lead to a problem due to
this that you were not, in some way, actively complicit in? Thanks.

As annoyed as I am by the general problem of it misreading "speed limit" (or not) signs, I'm not following you on this specific concern.
Can you lay out for us, step by step, the exact sequence of actions you and the car would take that would lead to a problem due to
this that you were not, in some way, actively complicit in? Thanks.

Concerning the scenario I'm concerned about....

1. Turn on AP
2. Set speed at 55mph
3. AP is now navigating while the driver is doing everything they are supposed to.
4. travel 70 miles on expressway
5. Construction zone begins
6. Speed drops to 45
7. AP may or may not recognize it, however the car slows to not hit the car in front.
8. Sign says speed drops over and over until it says 5mph
9. No one is in front of me to slow me down.
10. Car sees the 5 and interprets it as 50mph
11. Car immediately accelerates to obey sign.
12. Driver has to override AP to correct a false reading of the sign.

Its no biggie....just a concern.

I don't have AP in my car, but I'm very interested in user interface.

Do you AP guys think the car should chime ( / alert / voice the speed) when AP sets the speed different from what it is currently cruising at? As a means to draw your attention to what the new limit is (in its mind and being displayed on the IC), so you can promptly decide if you want to accept or reject that speed limit?

Suppose you want to reject the newly acquired limit... is it reasonable to do some quick action (what?) that reverts to the previously accepted limit instead of turning off AP entirely?

How would this be made better... if new features were to be added by Tesla?

1. Turn on AP
2. Set speed at 55mph
3. AP is now navigating while the driver is doing everything they are supposed to.
6. Speed drops to 45
7. AP may or may not recognize it, however the car slows to not hit the car in front.

Once the car in front is gone the car will accelerate to the set speed. The car does not auto-adjust to changing speed limits. Your scenario is outside of the current system capabilities.
I don't have AP in my car, but I'm very interested in user interface.

Do you AP guys think the car should chime ( / alert / voice the speed) when AP sets the speed different from what it is currently cruising at? As a means to draw your attention to what the new limit is (in its mind and being displayed on the IC), so you can promptly decide if you want to accept or reject that speed limit?

Suppose you want to reject the newly acquired limit... is it reasonable to do some quick action (what?) that reverts to the previously accepted limit instead of turning off AP entirely?

How would this be made better... if new features were to be added by Tesla?
I have my offset currently set to +3 MPH. I know for sure that if I am doing less than 3 MPH above the speed limit and then the speed limit drops that the car will alert me that I am now exceeding my offset. If I am already exceeding the speed limit by more than my offset & the speed limit drops I am not sure if the car will chime again (since it already chimed when I exceeded my offset). I think that it does chime again though. But it's rare that I'm doing more than 3 MPH over the speed limit & not slowing down already myself for a decreasing speed limit zone where it would need to chime.

1. Turn on AP
2. Set speed at 55mph
6. Speed drops to 45

Driver should have reacted at step 6 and not waited until step 12.

If we're complaining about features Tesla hasn't implemented yet, I have a long list. But as this isn't a feature they claim to have implemented, I think we should stop complaining that it doesn't work right.

That's not exactly what's happening. That car doesn't accelerate to the posted speed -- it accelerates to the lesser of the
posted speed and the set speed. In your example the set speed is greater than the misread "posted" speed, so the "posted"
speed limits how much it would otherwise accelerate.'

But, really, how is this any different from there having been a real 5mph sign that it failed to read and it continuing on at 55mph?
Aren't you identically responsible for the vehicle speed in either case? The bottom line is you can't rely on the reading of speed
limit signs in either direction, either seeing them at all or reading them accurately. Any such undue reliance on your part can lead
to a variety of problems in far more than the specific circumstance you're worried about.

For those who's car read the sign wrong.....how did your car respond?
As I refused to let Tesla add the limitations to the car that I already own. It didn't respond. it simply showed the wrong speed on the display, made a single "bing" sound and nothing more happened. Exactly as it should be. For all the people on 7.1, the car will force a drop in speed, even if you are on a major highway with a large truck just inches off your rear bumper. Hopefully your reaction time is good.

The car driving the speed that you told it to is not a "known issue" it is intended behaviour. If you didn't want the car to drive at that speed, you shouldn't have explicitly told it to do so.
Is gB perhaps referring to the behavior when dropping from speed-limited auto-steer to not-speed-limited TACC? Any UI that many
users find (unpleasantly) "surprising" is wrong even if it is intentional.

The car does not change its set speed while on autopilot unless it deems (sometimes incorrectly) that it is on an undivided 2 lane road.

There is a known issue where it will suddenly accelerate to its previous set speed and if you aren't prepared for this it would be quite scary.
You are correct.. it does not change its set speed. I'm not alluding to it changing its set speed.

You are also correct concerning that sudden acceleration. That has been my issue this whole thread. That's what I've been talking about.