Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My MS thought a 45mph road was 5mph and tried to reduce my speed to 10mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not exactly what's happening. That car doesn't accelerate to the posted speed -- it accelerates to the lesser of the
posted speed and the set speed. In your example the set speed is greater than the misread "posted" speed, so the "posted"
speed limits how much it would otherwise accelerate.'

But, really, how is this any different from there having been a real 5mph sign that it failed to read and it continuing on at 55mph?
Aren't you identically responsible for the vehicle speed in either case? The bottom line is you can't rely on the reading of speed
limit signs in either direction, either seeing them at all or reading them accurately. Any such undue reliance on your part can lead
to a variety of problems in far more than the specific circumstance you're worried about.

Ok.... listen.

2. scenarios have emerged.

1. I'm traveling, encounter construction, 2 lane highway. speed reduces via sign. Car in front slows down. My tesla slows down. Signs now read 5mph. Tesla is traveling 5mph. Car in front disappears ( exits off the ramp or pulls over off on the shoulder ). AP is still set for 65. Sign reads 5mph. Car indicates 50mph sign on screen. Car accelerates.

Why? ( Misread sign? / Original AP set speed? / etc. )

That's my concern.

2. Remove the car in front from the example above.

That's also my concern.

Lets stop talking about who is responsible. We all agree. Don't add anything or take anything away from either scenario.

You are also correct concerning that sudden acceleration. That has been my issue this whole thread. That's what I've been talking about.
If you don't have your set speed above the speed you'd like to travel, you'll never encounter this.

Your car shouldn't have to out think you. Don't ever tell your car to do something you don't actually want it to do!

Lets stop talking about who is responsible. We all agree. Don't add anything or take anything away from either scenario.
Ok, simple. Tesla hasn't released any feature that automatically adjusts the speed of the car based on speed limit signs. So stop talking about it.

If you're talking about how it dangerously limits auto-steer when it misreads speed limit signs, that I'll agree with you on 100% and they never should have done that.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
I was using autopilot on a road I travel daily, in the right hand lane on a three lane (each side 3 lanes 6 total) highway. I was very confused as to why my car was slowing down with no cars in front of me, that's when I noticed the dash said 5mph speed limit and auto steer was limited to 10mph.

What does AP use to determine speed limit? GPS or the camera? Like I said I travel this road daily and never had a problem before. Posted speed limit is 45mph.
I finally figured out what was going on with this situation ... After this spot on the road was consistently limiting my AP speed to 10 mph I was able to finally see what's happening. The 45 MPH sign has a palm tree branch obscuring the "4" on the sign which the camera is interpreting as a "5" MPH speed limit, which AP then limits my speed to 10 MPH. Because of the vegetation I hadn't noticed the speed limit sign before. So was able to verify that the camera is used for speed limits not the GPS.

I finally figured out what was going on with this situation ... After this spot on the road was consistently limiting my AP speed to 10 mph I was able to finally see what's happening. The 45 MPH sign has a palm tree branch obscuring the "4" on the sign which the camera is interpreting as a "5" MPH speed limit, which AP then limits my speed to 10 MPH. Because of the vegetation I hadn't noticed the speed limit sign before. So was able to verify that the camera is used for speed limits not the GPS.
As a public service to the rest of your fellow Tesla owners I expect you plan on trimming that palm tree. Thank you in advance. ;).

1) Does anyone know if 8.0 firmware has changed any of these concerns?

2) And is it realistic that Tesla might one day provide a feature that would automatically change your top speed as you enter and leave numerous reduced speed stretches of road? I'm thinking about 40 miles of road that goes from 55mph to 45 to 35 then back to 45 and to 55. The kind of stretch where small town police set speed traps and you can be nailed if not paying real good attention to the signs.

1) Does anyone know if 8.0 firmware has changed any of these concerns?

2) And is it realistic that Tesla might one day provide a feature that would automatically change your top speed as you enter and leave numerous reduced speed stretches of road? I'm thinking about 40 miles of road that goes from 55mph to 45 to 35 then back to 45 and to 55. The kind of stretch where small town police set speed traps and you can be nailed if not paying real good attention to the signs.
2)actually this is exactly what happens if you are using autopilot on any road other than a freeway. So if you are driving down a highway (with AP on) through small towns like you described your tesla will limit your top speed through these towns to 5mph above the posted speed.